Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Life filled with the spirit of Aiki? Budo or not Budo that is the question?

Stephen_Bannan Guest

Default Life filled with the spirit of Aiki? Budo or not Budo that is the question?

O.K. I'm not studying Aikido right now, what with a destroyed elbow and all. I do however feel that after reading alot of Kancho Sensei and O'Sensei writings and teaching over the last 2 and a bit years, that it's not impossible to live a life filled with the spirit of Aiki.

I am an office worker as such I wear business attire, button up shirts and ties et al. Try putting on a button up shirt with your none dominate hand only!

For the past month my focus, patience, well generally my fuse has been toyed with 8 or 9 times a day. To date I have not thrown a tantrum not even yelled or even had a "@#$%&*" moment or thought.

Am I living in the shadow of the spirit captured within the writings of the masters thus still walking path of budo, or simply at peace with what has happened to me?

Is it possible to take the teachings of the masters and just "be" how they say you should practise Aikido? Show great spirit in living off the mats as well as on the mat. Practise harmony and patience?

Likes (received)

Default blend, not clash

Stephen-san,

what you carry with you every day is what you choose to.

Some will practice only the "body moves" on the mat, others will pick up the philosophy and make it part of their everyday lives.

given that Aikido philosphy is to have all parties involved in a moment emerge unhurt, perhaps that has appealed to you already, or brought out what was already there.

Compare this to many other (non MA) sports, where your "winning"depends on someone else losing.

Aikido is off the mat as well. Thats the best way to practice it. So, yes, you can carry it and "be".

caution: everyone has there own moment of "be"

warmest,
    Jamie
    Be Bold, Be Daring, Be Smart, Be Caring

Likes (received)

Could be wrong and no big deal but Kancho sensei sounds wrong to me.

As I understand it Kancho is a title used by Yoshinkan folks to refer to their founder - generally meaningless to other non-Yoshinkan Aikidoists although we know who you mean. Sensei is an honorific attached to someones name.

Shioda sensei
    Shioda kancho

seem ok

but not Kancho sensei. Is the latter common in Yoshinkan?

Kancho like Doshu or even Kaiso tend to be organizational specific. Same with Honbu I suppose and even the use of O'sensei.

Just something I felt like noticing this morning.

Stephen_Bannan Guest

Originally posted by PRehse
    Could be wrong and no big deal but Kancho sensei sounds wrong to me.

As I understand it Kancho is a title used by Yoshinkan folks to refer to their founder - generally meaningless to other non-Yoshinkan Aikidoists although we know who you mean. Sensei is an honorific attached to someones name.

Shioda sensei
    Shioda kancho

seem ok

but not Kancho sensei. Is the latter common in Yoshinkan?

Kancho like Doshu or even Kaiso tend to be organizational specific. Same with Honbu I suppose and even the use of O'sensei.

Just something I felt like noticing this morning.
    Osu!

Shioda Sensei and his teachings

Thanks Peter!

Likes (received)

Hi Stephan;

As per your original post - forced time out from training is often the best way to start bringing out what you learn through Budo into your daily life.

I think it is real easy to fall into the trap where you behave one way in the dojo and another way outside. When you don't have the division you start to think.

When you say destroyed elbow - how bad is that? Are we talking months or years before you can practice again?

aikispike Guest

Originally posted by Stephen_Bannan
    Osu!

Shioda Sensei and his teachings

Thanks Peter!
    Careful Stephen - you are going to get nailed on the osu in a minute too.

"Shioda Sensei" often refers to Yasuhisa Shioda, Gozo Shioda's son who instructs aikido. "Shioda Soke" technically refers to Tetsutaro Shioda, Yoshinkan Aikido's second Soke. "Kancho Sensei" now technically refers to Inoue Kancho. Outside of Honbu (Yoshinkan Honbu) it could refer to Gozo Shioda or Kyoichi Inoue...depends on the dojo, and how closely linked to honbu they are i guess. Confused?

Spike

Stephen_Bannan Guest

Originally posted by PRehse
    Hi Stephan;

As per your original post - forced time out from training is often the best way to start bringing out what you learn through Budo into your daily life.

I think it is real easy to fall into the trap where you behave one way in the dojo and another way outside. When you don't have the division you start to think.

When you say destroyed elbow - how bad is that? Are we talking months or years before you can practice again?
    I have been told that I have 18 months a rehab - I have a racketball size hole in my elbow where bone should be but isn't. The Dr. says that he would like to see my stop Aikido for good but if I don't then I should wait the 2 years at the minimum before I go back!

Any tech I do left handed rocks BTW as I can't use strength - my power is coming from tech!

Likes (received)

Originally posted by aikispike
    Careful Stephen - you are going to get nailed on the osu in a minute too.
    Not by me - there is no confusion about that term. Why just last week I was greeted by a bunch of Osus as I walked into the dojo. Not as official as you Yosh guys but not unheard of.

Spike - any ideas as to our get togeather?

Likes (received)

Bummer - but I think the doctor is wrong. As long as you are careful and adapt your training methods - Aikido is probably as good as an physio you are going to get. Talk to your physio-therapist and sensei.
    Originally posted by Stephen_Bannan
    I have been told that I have 18 months a rehab - I have a racketball size hole in my elbow where bone should be but isn't. The Dr. says that he would like to see my stop Aikido for good but if I don't then I should wait the 2 years at the minimum before I go back!

Any tech I do left handed rocks BTW as I can't use strength - my power is coming from tech!