Likes Likes:  0

Thread: More posts on Shorinji Kempo forum than on Judo forum

Likes (received)

Default More posts on Shorinji Kempo forum than on Judo forum

Is it surprising to discover that there have been more posts on the Shorinji Kempo forum (currently 7708) than on the Judo forum (7707)? Although there are less threads on here (634 to 663).

Does this mean that people may eventually come to recognise the name when we say it, instead of standing there scratching their heads and saying "syringey-who?".

Karate forum 8730 posts on 458 threads.
    Aikido forum 10190 posts on 804 threads.
    Members Lounge 43688 posts on 2147 threads.

Looking at his personal score, I'd say Tony has been busy, hasn't he! 2699 posts (which doesn't include Member's Lounge!! an astonishing rate of 2.99 posts per day. (I only manage a measly 1.87 posts per day ).

Quality above quantity?
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

MikeCarew Guest

Quality above quantity?
    Interesting question David, would you put it to a vote?

Mike Carew

Kimpatsu Guest

Default Re: More posts on Shorinji Kempo forum than on Judo forum

Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
    Quality above quantity?
    Nah, I just have more of value to say...

Likes (received)

Tony has more knowledge of Shorinji Kempo, Japanese, Budo in general and various other fields in his little finger than I have in my whole body and several family members combined...

He certainly does have more of value to say. It's a shame that he doesn't always manage to get those things into his posts .
    David Noble

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
    He certainly does have more of value to say. It's a shame that he doesn't always manage to get those things into his posts .
    In traditional Japanese style, what I wish to say is hidden behind the jewelled curtain, for true seekers of enlightenment to find...

Likes (received)

More to the point (as this wasn't meant to be a "Bash Tony" thread), the quality of threads and individual posts on the Shorinji Kempo forum is excellent. There are occasional visits from members who do not study Shorinji Kempo and for the most part, I feel they are drawn by the quality of our discourse (I said our, but perhaps my involvement is not worthy of inclusion ).

Shorinji Kempo actively encourages, as part of its ethos, intelligent and inquiring minds to seek knowledge and train their minds. Perhaps some other arts simply accept this as a consequence of training, but I think encouragement is the morally correct thing to do. Training people to have such control of their bodies that they can injure and harm people with bare hands and feet, without attempting to train their minds is an act of negligence.
    David Noble

Likes (received)

I came across this by chance. It is Lazarus time for an eleven year old thread raised and abandoned on April Fool's Day 2004.
    David Noble

Likes (received)

Hello David,

So you were being serious with Post #6, not making an April Fool?
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Nope, just one of my pretentious statements of know-it-all (while knowing nothing).

For the record, the figures have grown a bit since then, but the ratio is similar. Would it be fair to make the observation that Judoka have less interest in discussion that Shorinji Kenshi? As far as Self-Defence goes, that could be the most useful skill (discussion), but I think I may be inclined to put my money on the judoka when it comes to an unavoidable fight.
    David Noble

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    Would it be fair to make the observation that Judoka have less interest in discussion that Shorinji Kenshi? As far as Self-Defence goes, that could be the most useful skill (discussion), but I think I may be inclined to put my money on the judoka when it comes to an unavoidable fight.
    You think that judokas get into more unavoidable fights?
    Kari Maki-Kuutti

www.shorinjikempo.fi

Likes (received)

Ooooh. Controversy.

If the "fight" starts getting physical, with no other options available, then my money is on the person who is well-trained, well-practiced, experienced with physical contact. By that definition, you could include any type of fighter you want, as long as he meets those criteria. Following on the theme of this thread, I stated judoka - because of their training regime and their relevant experience. Of course I'm not going to fall into one of those "this Art is better on da streets" arguments, that was sooooo 20th century forum-style debating. I just made a lighthearted observation and it piqued your interest. See how much fun it can be?
    David Noble

Likes (received)

Interesting topic, I cross train every now and then in Judo. Martially I always train from a self defense perspective. Judoka look to grab and counter grabs sometimes that essentially provides no guard against strikes.

That being said a grapplers base usually helps one prevail in an altercation.

For Shorinji kenshi here's my questions : do you train ashi barai in order to make your johaku dori better?

Johaku dori is supposed to defend against ashi barai, but I meet kenshi who are unaware of that and have never trained to get a foot sweep.

Can you effectively defend against a technique you've never employed?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ryama23 View Post
    Johaku dori is supposed to defend against ashi barai, but I meet kenshi who are unaware of that and have never trained to get a foot sweep.
    Maybe they are unaware of this because this is not true (in basic Shorinji Kempo).
    In the Shorinji Kempo curriculum training johaku dori is not against ashi barai.
    It is against grab+push and perhaps added zuki with other hand.
    Or against grab+push with both hands.

Of course it is possible (and useful) to train johaku dori also against added ashi barai but this is not the basic way or purpose.

Or perhaps you mean something like ushiro sode dori in which the attack would normally contains ashi barai?
    Kari Maki-Kuutti

www.shorinjikempo.fi

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kari MakiKuutti View Post
    Maybe they are unaware of this because this is not true (in basic Shorinji Kempo).I
    In the Shorinji Kempo curriculum training johaku dori is not against ashi barai.
    It is against grab+push and perhaps added zuki with other hand.
    Or against grab+push with both hands.

Of course it is possible (and useful) to train johaku dori also against added ashi barai but this is not the basic way or purpose.

Or perhaps you mean something like ushiro sode dori in which the attack would normally contains ashi barai?
    I'm driving and out of town, but I'll have to check my old curriculum manual. I recall it having notes that the attack my be ashi barai. Grab and push or pull is the setup.