Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: You have one year to prepare for a duel.

Likes (received)

I've got to say it that if you agree to fight a guy with a sharp piece of steel while you remain unarmed you deserve to be sliced and diced - or at least the guy who negotiated the terms of the duel.

Disarms are not impossible - enough Kenjutsu Koryu include them - but I don't think its the prefered situation no matter how fast you are.

If you are an incrediably fast Aikido shihan then pick up a sword and practice what's necessary. Then you will be fast, capable, and equally armed.

Likes (received)

It would be nice if JSA practitioners were allowed to wear Katana in public and they are trusted by authorities. And our use of our swords are justified cause they believe that most JSA people have pretty good judgement. Then being unarmed would never be a problem for us.

Then if someone comes up and issues a sword duel and as Charles mentioned, cut them down as soon as they officially confirmed the challenge.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by aikitazz
    And if I was in your end of the country I would love to stop in and see what your art is about. It has been an interest of mine for many years but there are not any instructors in Dryden, and driving 4 hours one way a few times a week doesn't fit into my life.
    On the other hand, have you had an opportunity to watch Aikido Shihans work out at full speed. I am the first to admit that much of what Aikido does may seem pedestrian to some, but as I am willing to walk a mile in your shoes, so should the favour be returned. And there is very good Aikido in Saskatoon.
    I haven't watched Aikido shihan at full speed, I've only seen guys 4-5 dan level. I practised myself for around a year, which isn't much but I'm not entirely talking out of my hat here. The aikido in Saskatoon is OK, no sensei here but they're doing the best they can. Don's what, sandan now? Kawahara-sensei comes a couple of times a year to visit, I haven't met him myself but my sensei always goes to the dinner and has a few drinks with him.

I don't say those techniques can never work. I can avoid attacks from junior kendo players, and I've played with kendo sensei who can avoid my attacks so I expect that senior aikidoka probably would be able to avoid my attacks. What I do say is that aikido people in general do not work with anything close to full speed attacks. If you did, those knocks you describe taking earlier from bokken would be trips to the hospital.

Tell you what, I'll commit to an experiment - next time Rocky Izumi's back in Regina from Barbados, we'll try a few. I think he's godan aikido and sandan kendo, he'll have as good a chance as anyone I know personally of taking my shinai away from me. Plus he's got bogu so he won't get hurt if I thump him.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

Which is what good sword work is all about....clearing the line and proper maai.
    Uh...good sword work would be more about controlling the center line I would think...

Please don't confuse the sword in aikido with classical sword work. There is a good thread on muto dori in the aikijujutsu forum. You should give it a read.

RT

Likes (received)

Post tachi dori and you

I don't think the tachi dori (sword take-away) exercises in Aikido are meant as in "oh, by the way, here's how you disarm any swordsman," any more than unarmed techniques are meant as "these will work against anyone no matter how big, skilled and on drugs they are." Most Aikidoka view fighting of any kind as a desparate measure going into it. All the techniques are more like "it's better than nothing" or, "faced off with someone irate and unskilled, here's how it's possible to bring the conflict to a peaceful solution."

Too many times, we Americans get in the Ultimate Fighting Championship mode where we want to see if these techniques work in real life, so (even hypothetically) we pit The Most Badass Aikidoka On The Planet against the reincarnation of Miyamoto Musashi and ask who wins in a caged match. I think the real idea with the tachi dori (something I've been thinking about alot as I prepare to take my Aikido sandan test, which includes five sword take-aways) is here's how Aikido could work against an attack with a sword. Further, there's a thread in the member's lounge about a kid who attacked some cops with a samurai sword in Canada. That's a much more reasonable scenario for using the tachi dori exercises that the aforementioned hypothetical situation (the Mace seemed to work pretty good too ).

I also do iaido and kendo, and I know me vs. me in the fabled UFC match (although, not being either TMBAONTP or MMII), I'd kill myself with the sword 98 times out of 100 (and the two times would be because of weak cuts).
    --Neil Melancon--

Likes (received)

As a former student of Aikijutsu and having observed alot of Aikido demonstrations, I have only seen tachi dori done at a slow speed with a bokuto, where the attacker would hack at a specific area (with no real intent). I have always wanted to see an experienced Aikidoka disarm an Iaidoka/Kendoka armed with a live blade actually trying to cut the Aikidoka.

I am formally issuing this challenge:

One year from now, an armed Iaidoka/Kendoka must face an unarmed Aikidoka for the ultimate duel to the death. Any takers?
    Skip Cooper
    It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

Likes (received)

Too many times, we Americans get in the Ultimate Fighting Championship mode ...
    Huh, funny, I imagined nothing of the sort. People don't fight with swords nowadays, doncha know...

Again, I recommend this thread:

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...ght=tachi+dori

RT

PS You can find the phrase Mutodori on the following link...I believe it is an alternate way of saying tachi dori...please correct me if I am wrong...my japanese is pretty bad, but Nathan's is pretty good...

http://143.207.8.139/cgi-bin/ubb/ult...9&t=001486&p=2
    Last edited by Ron Tisdale; 8th April 2004 at 21:03.

Likes (received)

To the death? No.

To the pain...?
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

Default to the death?

For me personally, I would practice alot of shinken shobu (and hopefully not get killed while doing it), alot of suemonogiri and tameshigiri, make sure to have my will filled out, and spend alot of time contemplating and praying. Of course one has to realize that if such encounter were to happen (highly unlikely today), then either I'm coming out alive or dead. But I'll try to go in with the mindset that I'm dead already.
    Gary MacMullen
    MJER Jikishinkai
    Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts
    (Formerly Aikido of West Florida)

Mi ni tanoshimi o takamazu - Musashi
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Likes (received)

Skip

But would you be willing to to agree to an unarmored bout with bokken vs a fellow kendoka?

Chris Thomas

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Charlie Kondek
    To the death? No.

To the pain...?
    Only if it will win me the love of Princess Buttercup.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Originally posted by cxt
    Skip

But would you be willing to to agree to an unarmored bout with bokken vs a fellow kendoka?

Chris Thomas
    No, Kendo hurts.
    Skip Cooper
    It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.- Mark Twain

Likes (received)

Well I did the Musashugyo and it worked.
    Sensei put me on one side, twenty on the other and I won every match. But my life was not on the line so to speak. I would have thought embracing ones fatality was something else.

I would want to understand maai but not keep a straight line. I'm not into suicide. Musashi said learn your weapons well so I think I would just shoot the bastard and be done with it if he attacked me. If he didnt we could all go home.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7