Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Posthumous Baptisms

Likes (received)

Default Posthumous Baptisms

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/11/na...ner=ALTAVISTA1

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has long collected names from government documents and other records worldwide for posthumous baptisms. Church members stand in to be baptized in the names of the deceased non-Mormons, a ritual the church says is required for them to reach heaven.

The practice is primarily intended for the ancestors of Mormons, but many others are included, since the church believes that a person's ability to choose a religion continues after death. Non-Mormon faiths have objected to the baptisms.

"Even if they say they want to do somebody a favor, it's not a symbol of love," said Rabbi Marvin Hier, dean and founder of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles. "It's a symbol of arrogance."

In 1995, the Mormon church acceded to demands by Jewish leaders that it stop posthumously baptizing Jews. But Helen Radkey, a Salt Lake City researcher, said Friday that she had found posthumous baptism records for 268 Dutch Jews killed in Polish concentration camps, which she described as a "small sampling." All were baptized well after the 1995 agreement.
    -C. Chu
    ============================
    ‘¸Œh?AŠ´ŽÓ?A”E‘Ï

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

LOL those wacky mormons! I think its only worth a passing giggle- I really like the SWC rep worrying about jewish "proxy" baptisms though. What's gonna happen? God's gonna evict them from heaven? It's a non starter.

Gotta love them zany mormon dudes..........

BTW I think its closing the door after the horse has bolted.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Likes (received)

More to the point, it's a method for the mormon church to raise revenue. See, you have to pay for all those people to be baptised.

Like catholics and TV baptists, mormons are all about the cash flow. And for them, 10% of your gross pay just isn't enough, so there are always new ways to fleece the flock.

Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

n2shotokai Guest

How do dead people pay for baptisms?

CanuckMA Guest

Originally posted by Jock Armstrong
    LOL those wacky mormons! I think its only worth a passing giggle- I really like the SWC rep worrying about jewish "proxy" baptisms though. What's gonna happen? God's gonna evict them from heaven? It's a non starter.

Gotta love them zany mormon dudes..........

It is insulting to the deceased to to our Faith. It is them trying to affirm that Judaism is worthless and Jews need to be converted, even after death.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Jock Armstrong
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Here is how the money scam works:

1) You convert to being a mormon and have your grey matter removed in a secret ritual that also increases your fertility

2) Under church direction you research the names of all your ancestors (hence the mormon church's fantastic geneology department)

3) You pay the church a fee for each and every ancestor that needs to be posthumously converted to being a mormon

I think the ultimate goal is to have everyone who ever lived be declared a mormon so you can all go to "heaven" and have a boring afterlife together.

Harvey Moul

n2shotokai Guest

Gee, I wonder if there are any Mormons on this site?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
    Here is how the money scam works:

1) You convert to being a mormon and have your grey matter removed in a secret ritual that also increases your fertility

2) Under church direction you research the names of all your ancestors (hence the mormon church's fantastic geneology department)

3) You pay the church a fee for each and every ancestor that needs to be posthumously converted to being a mormon

I think the ultimate goal is to have everyone who ever lived be declared a mormon so you can all go to "heaven" and have a boring afterlife together.

In this case, I think the dead are converted without consent of family members, and against the law.
    -C. Chu
    ============================
    ‘¸Œh?AŠ´ŽÓ?A”E‘Ï

Jerry Johnson Guest

OK, what is next on the religion bashing list?

I know, how about the Church of Scientology is brain washing Hollywood's mega-stars in dumping their cash into the Church's pocket, all in the name of elitism in Hollywood....!

I am so surprise this hasn’t come up.

Anyone want to re-hash Jim Jones, Heaven's Gate, or Aliens for Buddha?

Likes (received)

Default Baptism Under Duress

That's *almost* as reprehensible as the forced baptisms of Jews in the medieval ages.

Besides, for a real baptism to work, the convert must be willing (dead silence does not equate to willingness). I don't know about the dead of other religions, but dead Catholics are immune because they've already been baptised -- and you can only be baptised once.

For more of the Catholic perspective:

THE QUESTION OF THE VALIDITY OF BAPTISM CONFERRED IN THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS
    Fr Luis Ladaria, S.J. [Taken from: L'Osservatore Romano Weekly Edition in English 1 August 2001, page 4 ]
    http://www.ewtn.com/library/Theology/MORMBAP1.HTM.

Cheers,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default Gautama SETI-hara

Jerry,
    ...Aliens for Buddha?....
    Stop!! Yer killin' me!

--Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Jerry Johnson Guest

Hey let's bash Druids for running a monopoly on the lumber industry.

Let's bash on Wicka for stealing frogs out of highschool biology classes, driving up the cost of home owners fire insurance and being responsible for the existintion of the newt. Well at least for having newts run around with one eye. Oh...and political correctness in children's nursery rhymes.

Wow, I can write bash posts on this stuff for years.

Guy, where did you get that picture? .
    Last edited by Jerry Johnson; 12th April 2004 at 21:02.

Likes (received)

How can it be against the law to "convert" the dead? First of all, they are dead. At most, all you are doing is slandering them, but as it is not public, who cares?

All it amounts to is a money making scam for those too stupid to be allowed to keep any cash around anyway.

Anyone who becomes a scientologist is a blithering idiot - there is no room for discussion on that point. L. Ron Hubbard was a loon, but he always said he would start a religion for dimwits and get rich of off it. He succeeded quite well and held his followers in total contempt.

Having read the most advanced levels of knowledge that the "church" of scientology has to offer, I can say that it is with great difficulty that you keep yourself from laughing. All of it is readily available on the internet and it is quite obviously Hubbard's writing. Anyone who has read any of his horrible novels will be able to attest to the authenticity of the posted material. That, and the fact that the scientologists are in constant legal battles to suppress the material is enought to verify their legitimacy as the "real thing".

Harvey Moul

Jerry Johnson Guest

Iowa has a city that is apologizing for killing and violence against Morons, killing Smith and initially running them off to Salt Lake City. Iowa was the state where Morons originated. I guess Iowa wants the Moron tourist dollars...anyone want to bash Iowa for that?

Mr. Smith rubbed elbows with some pretty important people back then and had a influence on our government and government leaders. A very influencial and powerful man in American history.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast