Likes Likes:  0

Thread: so kan ryu nunchaku

Likes (received)

Default so kan ryu nunchaku

Hi

I am looking for information about a Japanese Sensei, Arakawa Busen, whom I think either founded so-kan-ryu or is in some way connected to it. I think a book of his has been translated into french but I´ve been unable to get a hold of it. I would be very gratefull for any further information anyone might have.

Thank you,
    Morten Bukh Dreier

PS: I'm new at this so please forgive any faux pas I might make.
    Last edited by anarch; 13th April 2004 at 10:11.

Likes (received)

Default 123

Hi Morten,
    Hawaii Karate Museum has two books of him:

http://museum.hikari.us/books/index70.html
    http://museum.hikari.us/books/index80.html

This may help.

Regards
    Best regards

Andreas Quast

We are Pope!

Likes (received)

Default I train in Sokan ryu

I also train in Sokan ryu nunchaku.

I trained in Japan for 2 and a half year and now I am moving back to America. If you would like me to ask my Sensei in Japan any questions just let me know.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by anarch View Post
    Hi

I am looking for information about a Japanese Sensei, Arakawa Busen, whom I think either founded so-kan-ryu or is in some way connected to it.

Arakawa Busen is my sensei's sensei. He founded Sokan ryu and teaches it along side Goju ryu karate.

Best regards,
    Rennis Buchner
    Rennis Buchner

Likes (received)

Arakawa Busen is also found in Taira Shinken's "Ryukyu Kobudo Taikan" of 1964, as a member of the board of directors of the "Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinko-kai".
    In 1999 I met one Izumi Sensei of Goju-ryu; he does Sokan-ryu Nunchaku, as far as I know. Maybe there was some personal hub from Arakawa Busen to Goju-ryu.
    Best regards

Andreas Quast

We are Pope!

Likes (received)

Hi all,

It's very important to share as much knowledge about this style. I'm also interested in it.
    Maybe some one with knowlege about the style can create a website or facebook page, etc...
    Maybe students of the style can create an official international association or something and share all sokan-ryu books, or reprint them in new editions, create youtube videos with lessons, tutorials techniques, etc... so different people from around the globe can learn from.
    It will be a pitty for all Arakawa's work to be lost.
    Please let me know if such thing already exists. I already found the his katas on youtube, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m9KQs8XUbLk but I'm sure there is more to teach related to the style.

Thanks,
    Marius.

Likes (received)

Late response to Marius, but Arakawa, am intensely private man, would likely have loathed these suggestions. He only officially authorized two shibu which are still active to various degrees. There is work afoot to try and ensure the future of Arakawa’s schools, but for the moment it is smaller scale and the art has to be learned face to face.