Likes Likes:  0

Thread: looking for Iaido dojo in montreal

jader Guest

Default looking for Iaido dojo in montreal

Hi all!

I now live in Montreal Canada and would like to start iaido more precisely Eishin ryu. I went to one of our local kendo dojo and was told by one of the students there is a Eishin ryu dojo in Montreal and that he saw the teacher demonstrate a couple of years ago. The only info I was given is that the instructor seemed to have graded in Japan. Does anybody who this person is and if he or the dojo is still operational.

Any help will be appreciated.

Likes (received)

If you look here you'll find a couple of iaido clubs listed for Montreal.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

We practice Muso shinden ryu at the dojo Aikido de la Montagne. You are welcome to visit and practice.

Link to the dojo Aikido de la Montagne
    regardz

Szczepan Janczuk

jader Guest

Default Thanks!

Thank you all for your answers.

I checked the link of the CKF but it does not mention that they practice Eishin ryu. Also From what I was able to see in Montreal all dojo are either in the CKF or into aikido and all of them are in Seitei iai or Muso Shinden ryu.Sadly maybe the person who told me there was a Eishin dojo in Montreal might have made a mistake and meant Muso Shinden ryu Again thank you very much for your time in answering me.

Likes (received)

Default Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by jader
    Thank you all for your answers.

I checked the link of the CKF but it does not mention that they practice Eishin ryu. Also From what I was able to see in Montreal all dojo are either in the CKF or into aikido and all of them are in Seitei iai or Muso Shinden ryu.Sadly maybe the person who told me there was a Eishin dojo in Montreal might have made a mistake and meant Muso Shinden ryu Again thank you very much for your time in answering me.
    Muso Shinden Ryu is no better or worse than Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. The systems share the same kata, but have different interpretations/ways of doing them. Which system you choose is in reality less important than finding a good teacher.
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

If it's Eishin Ryu you insist on then it's likely CIA rather than CKF, but the CIA website lists nothing for Montreal. My understanding is that MSR is very close, certainly better than nothing.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

From what I've seen of MSR, I'd say it's reasonably close rather than very close, but I'd have to agree. MSR is not a bad choice if you can find qualified instruction nearby.

Is it possible your friend saw a guest instructor?
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Bill Gallant Guest

I know that there is a MSR group out there, as they hosted the Eastern Canadians last year in Montreal.
    See http://www.ejmas.com/tin/tinframe.htm

Being part of the CKF means that you learn Seitei, but so what? You will learn Seitei and MSR or MJER. Practice is practice, as I've always been told.

There are people doing MJER in Montreal but i don't recall the names off hand, sorry. I don't think that it's a large group. Oh wait a minute, Dr. Robert Miller, I think that he's MJER. I don't know how to contact him though.

Try putting a posting up on Iaido-L, you may have more luck there. Best of luck,

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Bill Gallant
    I know that there is a MSR group out there, as they hosted the Eastern Canadians last year in Montreal.
    See http://www.ejmas.com/tin/tinframe.htm

Being part of the CKF means that you learn Seitei, but so what? You will learn Seitei and MSR or MJER. Practice is practice, as I've always been told.

There are people doing MJER in Montreal but i don't recall the names off hand, sorry. I don't think that it's a large group. Oh wait a minute, Dr. Robert Miller, I think that he's MJER. I don't know how to contact him though.

Try putting a posting up on Iaido-L, you may have more luck there. Best of luck,
    Sorry, Dr. Miller is a MSR practitioner.

There was a MJER Dojo in Montreal affiliated with Masayuki Shimabukuro run by a husband (3-dan) and Japanese wife (5-dan). I had met them at the Guelph School of Japanese Sword Arts in 2000 <http://www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido/gsjsa_Jikishinkan.htm>.

She is Kuniko Kinoshita, and he is Sebastien Cyr. I had heard that since then there was a parting of the ways between them, and their dojo fractured. I believe that she is still teaching, but I have no contact info.

If anyone else has more up-to-date- information. please feel free to post it.

HTH.
    Raymond Sosnowski

"Setsunintoh, Katsuninken, Shinmyohken."

Likes (received)

Default Sorry for the late reply

Hi all I was notified by somebody who saw the thread and I was late in responding to it. Again I am very sorry.

Yes there is still Eishin ryu in Montreal but Kinoshita sensei is not teaching anymore for personal reasons. Now the Dojo is located at the Tristar-Gym in Montreal near the Namur Metro station and we practice on each saturday morning at 9:30. We now have a good steady group that has been goign on for 2 years now. If you want any info please contact us and we will be happy to answer any of you questions. As far as being affiliated with Shimabukuro sensei this is a bit more delicate since me and Kinoshita sensei were both trained directly under Miura Sensei in Osaka and when we came to Canada the dojo was considered as a separate entity from the organization ruled by Shimabukuro sensei. But nonetheless we were all trained ultimately by Miura sensei.

Hope this helped.

Have a great weekend!!!

Sebastien cyr
    Last edited by roninseb; 16th April 2004 at 15:33.
    Sebastien Cyr 義真
    春風館道場
    Shunpukan Dojo