Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Daito-ryu

MarkF Guest

I didn't meant to come off that I didn't care, I do like history and the many versions it has, I was thinking, anyway, that the question has been asked, and with so many different answers it is difficult to say either way. It seems one has to separate Daito Ryu and aikijujutsu, then it becomes really confusing.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter is what I was trying to convey. Are Meiji era jujutsu styles truly ryu? I think so, but some don't accept that because it was founded during the Meiji era. That's what I mean. It isn't so cut 'n dry, IMO. It would probably be better to consider it on a continuum, IMO. IOW, Stay tuned, it will probably change again.

BTW: We all care, but to what degree and on which subject, well that does make for conversation, anyway.

Mark

Likes (received)

Default Mugai Ryu and Daito Ryu

The book Daito Ryu Aikibudo by Antonin Certa Shihan names several people with the name Takahashi as students of Takeda Sokaku. Does anyone know if any of these are Takahashi of Mugai Ryu?
    don engle

Likes (received)

I know this is probably a bit too late for anyone to care anymore, but what you are referring to is the summarized translation of Takeda Sokaku's enrollment books. They include the following "Takahashi's":

Takahashi Giemon (1899) - Butokukai, living Miyagi-ken.

Takahashi Kuniharu / Toji (1901) - Butokukai and 6th dan judo.

Takahashi Junichi (1937) - Osaka, Former vice-head of Meiji University sumo club, 4th dan in judo.

Takahashi Yoshimaru (1938) - Director of a unit in the police of Osaka.

Anyone from Mugai-ryu recognize these names, active in these time periods?
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

BTW, as far as the subject of whether or not Daito-ryu is factually a koryu or not, please refer to the following thread in the Aikijujutsu forum:

Daito-ryu - Gendai or Koryu?

Thanks,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6