Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nunchaku <Flail>

Likes (received)

Question

An open thread dedicated to general questions regarding the flail as used in Okinawan weapons traditions
    Doug Daulton

Walter Kopitov Guest

Default nunchaku does the size count?

In our system we require the nunchaku to be 14 inches long with a 4 inch string so the total length is 32 inches. I'm curious if that is the standard size? and If other schools have other requirements. I teach Nihon Goshin Aikido and we have a variety of wrist locks and crushes with the nunchaku but no Kata just self-defense technique. How does that differ from the traditional Okinawan arts? The reason I ask is that I usualy see only kata and no bunkai.

Walt

Likes (received)

Default It's not the size, it's how you use it...

in the style of kobudo that I study the length of the handle is determined by the individual.
    Grasping the handle from the top (where the rope is attached) it should extend to your elbow.

We also have locks in our system.
    For this reason the rope is slightly narrower than your palm. This allows for "pain compliance" techniques.

The total length when gripped by the end (standing upright, arms to the side) should be just above the ankles.

Also the rope should consist of 3 strands. Just 2 means that the rope is tied and the knot could come undone.
    With 3 strands the ends are wrapped around the cord so that when you swing the nunchaku or apply a "pulling" force the "knot" tightens. (I'll try to post some pics tonight)

This is all IMHO
    Good luck with your training.
    joe
    Joe Stitz

"Black belt and white belt are the same, white belt is the beginning of technique. Black belt is the beginning of understanding. Both are beginner belts."
    - Doug Perry -Hanshi, KuDan -Shorin Ryu ShorinKan

Likes (received)

I have to admit I know very little about Ryukyu Kobudo, but I have a question.

My instructor teaches a number of techniques similar to manrikigusari that utilise the nunchaku for locking and trapping rather than striking (you would not believe the power they generate on a wrist joint!), is it used in this fashion in the Okinawan arts?

Regards

Neil
    Neil Hawkins
    "The one thing that must be learnt but
    cannot be taught is understanding"

kusanku Guest

Neil-Yes.

Nunchaku is used in a locking and throwing fashion and yes, I would in fact believe the amount of pressure and pain they bring to bear, as I ave been teaching this use in Okinawan karate since about 1973.

Okinawan karate(shorin ha) Lore has it, that to defeat one unarmed opponent, youuse the nunchaku either closed, to strike one time, or open to lock/choke/crank/torque 'em down.

People don't believe how effective this is, as you say, but boy do they yell onna way down!

There is a whle series of blocks, strikes and locks done with a closed or closing nunchaku on someone's arm, leg or wrist, and also around about the upper areas of the person as well.

In closed nuchaku techniques, the nunchaku is held to the rear, in front of the solar plexus, and jabbing pokes are made to kyusho , and when an attack is made by oppoent, tai sabaki is utilized tosidestep, while the nunchaku strikes and then traps and locks, oh, the pain, the takedown is fast, fast, fast.

There will be no further resistance from the opponent, should you grip the nnchakun properly.Which, to tell you the truth, is none too difficult.

The initial 'blocks are actually strikes to vulnerable zones on the arms and legs, as well.

Walter Kopitov Guest

Default where

where can you get a real nunchaku not the ASMA stuff? and how much?

BarthS Guest

For those of you who may remmember the "Pueblo incident" years ago (the Pueblo was a US spy ship which was captured by the N. Koreans). I recall some news footage where a couple of N.Korean gaurds were leading a US seaman with a nunchaku wrapped around each wrist.

Steve Barth

Likes (received)

Default Re: where

Originally posted by Walter Kopitov
    where can you get a real nunchaku not the ASMA stuff? and how much?
    Walter,

Short of going to Japan, the two best sources of non-AWMA gear (by this I assume you mean no ball-bearing/chain-swivels, metal studs, etc.) are ...

Ryukyu Enterprises, Inc.
    AKA Shureido USA
    438 West Taft Avenue
    Orange, CA 92665
    714.921.0946 - Phone
    714.921.4732 - Fax Only

and

The Kiyota Company
    2326 N. Charles Street
    Baltimore, MD 21218
    410.366.8275 - Phone
    800.783.2232 - Toll-Free
    410.366.3540 - Fax Only

Shureido can be a bit pricey, but the gear is authentic/direct from Okinawa and built to last.

Kiyota is a bit less expensive and most of thier stuff is from the mainland. Still high quality gear though.
    Doug Daulton

kusanku Guest

Yes, Shureido.

Okinawan nunchaku are different than Japanese or American nunchaku.

Three strands, thicker ends, and harder wood make the difference.

The hard wood keeps a sharp edge to the eight edges they have, this plays an important role in use of locking, rolling and pressing techniques.

Likes (received)

The nunchaku is not a "flail". Grain Flails were long-hafted tools, and were also adapted as weapons in Okinawan, Chinese, and European martial arts. I forget the name of the Okinawan flail, but I saw it mentioned in one of Mark Bishop's or Patrick McCarthy's Okinawan martial arts books. Can anyone here help with what the real Okinawan flail is called? Thanks!!

Jesse Peters

Likes (received)

Talking NunchaKun

Originally posted by the Khazar Kid
    The nunchaku is not a "flail". Grain Flails were long-hafted tools, and were also adapted as weapons in Okinawan, Chinese, and European martial arts. I forget the name of the Okinawan flail, but I saw it mentioned in one of Mark Bishop's or Patrick McCarthy's Okinawan martial arts books. Can anyone here help with what the real Okinawan flail is called? Thanks!!

Jesse Peters
    Okinawan nunchakun were originally horse bridels, which my associate here at "The A.O.A. Guild", Kyoshi Gordon Garland makes. I believe he charges around $60.00 a pair. Anyone looking for Traditional Koryu weaponry please visit me at http://irwinsan.tripod.com/AcademyofOkinawanArts All weaponry come with cirtificate of authenticity and "life-time" guarantee against fabrication defects.

Sensei Irwin

Likes (received)

Question Triple string nunchaku

Good afternoon,

Does anyone know exactly how to triple string nunchaku? I have used the nunchaku with double strings for some time now and never had a problem, but the strings are beginning to show some slight wear and I don't have any more clamps to fasten the ends together. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Michael Martin

Likes (received)

Here's a good guide thats should be easy to follow:
    Triple String Nunchaku
    Most people use parachute cord to string their nunchaku. It's cheap and durable.
    Joe Stitz

"Black belt and white belt are the same, white belt is the beginning of technique. Black belt is the beginning of understanding. Both are beginner belts."
    - Doug Perry -Hanshi, KuDan -Shorin Ryu ShorinKan

Likes (received)

Smile Triple stringing nunchaku

Quote Originally Posted by JS3 View Post
    Here's a good guide thats should be easy to follow:
    Triple String Nunchaku
    Most people use parachute cord to string their nunchaku. It's cheap and durable.
    Thanks a lot for the information. I'll have to watch it a few more times before I try it, but many thanks for that link.
    Michael Martin

Likes (received)

You posted that instructional just in time!
    A brand new pair broke on me a few weeks ago
    (crappy cotton) and I strung them with new nylon.

Thanks for the heads-up. Those knots really
    chinch-up tight!
    Ray Baldonade
    Chibana-ha Shorin-ryu

"Love many, trust few and do wrong to none". Chan Yau-man

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast