Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Grappling

Likes (received)

Charles

Good question.

Don't really have an answer, save to say that I don't really think its a good idea to let people post nonsense on a forum that prides itself on providing (more or less) accurate information on the martial arts.

Other than that--don't really have a good reason.

Chris Thomas

Likes (received)

Default Remember me??

I am tracking on everything that you folks are saying but the original question is not getting addressed. Originally I was not advocating for a purposeful attack by an unarmed person against an individual with a weapon. I began the string with the idea that Kendo practitioners might use a grappling maneuver if the opportunity presented itself. Having done that what would to effect be on the contest. From that point I shifted my focus a bit to include the question as to whether anyone (Kendo, Kenjutsu, Kumdo Kum-Bup) trains in grappling as an adjunct to their swordwork against the chance that one might suddenly find themselves without a weapon against a person still possessing theirs. The reason for this was my observation that 1.) while some grappling arts seem to invoke origins in armed combat, 2.) few ARMED arts seem to rationally consider the role of grappling. I find this curious given the first premise. Fopr instance, if one were to posit that DRAJJ techniques had their foundation (even partially) in swordwork, would it not follow that some swordwork mandates that a person know what to do if they lose their sword? Sorry if we got off on a tangent but these were the questions I was hoping to address and we only seem to have touched on them in a couple of instances. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

I tried some "practical reflection" in the dojo last friday with some chanbara-swordlike-sticks I have laying around. We did some kendo-like activity, and loosened up the rules a bit. If you consider any impact from the sword to be potentially dangerous, approaching grappling distance become rather stupid, as it is hard to control the opponents sword after the "clash". Several times, I let go of the tsuka, and gripped my opponents right wrist to control the sword, or I did a shove with the hand to get back to fencing distance. it is not tempting to stay in there.

Things got a bit out of hand on a practise two weeks ago, as I did keiko with a guy in my club. We dont fight too often, and this time he was far better technically than me. It went on an on and on, and the fight became much more playful and wild than I had anticipated.
    After breaking a tsubazeriai, i was lucky and knocked the shinai out of his hands. I tried to hit his men, and he rushed in to bearhug me to avoid being hit. My evil judo-memory kicked in again, and I met him with the hip, ogoshi-wise. He went over, and down. To bad that it was a concrete floor. And he had no (prior)ukemi-experience. No grudge. I hope.
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

Default New thread ...

Bruce,
    I think you'd do alot better by posing that question in a new thread as this one went down the toilet and probably won't be looked at by too many anymore.

Cheers,
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Good idea. I think things got side-tracked and never quite came back.

Let me give it a try.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

glad2bhere

We did get off track.

Not trying to be some sort of !!!.

Just that as far as I know:

A- MOST forms of kenjutsu did in fact/do in fact have grappling techniques that are supposed to be used should the situation permit.
    Or you are out of other options.

Esp. those older styles that consider swordfights in armor--harder to get a quick kill, much more of a chance to actually close under those conditions.

B-Pre-war kendo seems to have made considerable use of a varity of "grappling" techniques.

For the record I think your posit/example of "knowing what to do" when you don't have a sword is dead on.

Maybe I am just not getting the question. If so honestly sorry.

Just seems obdvious to me.

Chris Thomas

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10