Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Al-Quaida Cell Caught With WMD in Jordan

Likes (received)

Exclamation Al-Quaida Cell Caught With WMD in Jordan

News Max

Is there any confirmation on this?

Saturday, April 17, 2004 11:23 a.m. EDT
    Foiled al-Qaida Attackers Caught Red-Handed With WMDs

Two members of an al-Qaida cell connected to top terror master Abu Musab al-Zarqawi have been caught in Jordan with chemical weapons and poisonous gas for a planned attack that Jordanian officials say would have killed up to 20,000 people.

The officials told the London-based newspaper al-Hayat on Friday that the al-Qaida plotters planned to launch a WMD attack against a Jordanian Military Intelligence installation, the U.S. Embassy in Amman and a government building in the country.

According to the Israeli newspaper Maariv, the al-Qaida terrorists managed to smuggle three cars packed with explosives into Amman. Jordanian security forces found a chemical charge in one vehicle.

"The bomb, had it been detonated, could have affected people in a one-kilometer radius and cause the deaths of up to 20,000 people," Jordanian officials told Maariv.

According to United Press International, the al-Qaida car was intercepted just 75 miles from the Syrian border and "carried explosives, a chemical bomb and poisonous gas."

The discovery of the al-Qaida WMD plot is sure to renew speculation that some of Saddam Hussein's missing weapons of mass destruction were hidden in Syria before the U.S. attacked in March 2003, and have now found their way into al-Qaida's hands.

As of Saturday morning, the White House had not commented on the al-Qaida WMD plot and its possible ties to Iraq.
    Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Likes (received)

Putting a news from Maxnews is bit embarrasing. Here is it is from BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3635381.stm

To add further, you can spin it either way. Well let assume that this chemical bomb come from Saddam's arsenel. Surely one could argume that toppling of Saddam's regime made it easy for these group to obtain it.
    -Youji Hajime.

Engrish does not mine strong point

Likes (received)

Why do you think I was asking for confirmation? Very important story, but you need a better source than what I was able to find. At least it wasn't The Onion.

Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

Sorry. Someone linked the same souce in other site and I have commented the same. When I saw your poste,I did not read you comment properly.

-Youji Hajime.

Likes (received)

anyway, chemcial weapon is not really weapon of mass *destruction*. It is a good weapon of area denail. Aumu Shirikyou would have killed more if they simply detonated a bomb in a train.
    -Youji Hajime.

n2shotokai Guest

Harvey, what's the new graphic you are using? Looks like a trash can with a flag coming out of it.

These nutball #@$%*&^ terrorists simply need to be exterminated for the vermin they are. I am opposed to capitol punishment, but thses guys I would terminate without hesitation.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by n2shotokai
    Harvey, what's the new graphic you are using? Looks like a trash can with a flag coming out of it.
    Dude! It's Shake! AQUATEEN ROCKS! Go Harv!

The reverse-vampire bus episode is by far the best.
    Iain Richardson, compulsive post-having cake eater-wanter.

"He shoots first who laughs last."
    - Alexsandr Lebed,

Likes (received)

That's Master Shake to you, meatwad.
    Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Vapour
    anyway, chemcial weapon is not really weapon of mass *destruction*. It is a good weapon of area denail. Aumu Shirikyou would have killed more if they simply detonated a bomb in a train.
    That truly depends upon its deployment. Aum Shirikyou would have killed more if they hadn't been so concerned about getting off the train alive.As for chemical weapons they are, by every definition of the word, weapons of mass destruction, and, depending upon their deployment, caoable of causing massive deaths.

In security and foreign policy analyses, “weapons of mass destruction” is a term that generally encompasses nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons, with radiological weapons occasionally included. Contemporary international legal analysis generally follows this conventional definition of WMD, even though neither treaty law nor customary international law contains an authoritative definition of WMD. The reason such a definition does not exist is that states have historically used international law to address each category of weapons within the WMD rubric. International law specifically on WMD is, thus, composed of three different sets of rules for each WMD technology. General rules of international law, such as international humanitarian law, also apply to WMD; but these general principles were not developed specifically to address WMD.

The dominant international legal activity on WMD has been the negotiation and implementation of arms control treaties. This arms control approach reflected three objectives—to deter the use of WMD by states (e.g., nuclear arms control treaties between the United States and the former Soviet Union), to prohibit the emplacement and testing of WMD in certain areas (e.g., treaties prohibiting WMD in orbit or on the sea-bed or ocean floor ), and to produce WMD disarmament (e.g., treaties prohibiting development and use of biological and chemical weapons). Although arms control treaties contributed to the development of customary norms restricting or prohibiting the use of WMD, development and possession of WMD was not, outside the treaty context, illegal under customary international law.

Lastly, U.S. federal statute, Title 18, Section 2332 a(a) defines a weapon of mass destruction as a nuclear, biological, or chemical weapon, with no reference to yield, while a conventional explosive, rocket or other incendiary and/or explosive devices come under section 921 of Title 18, and are referred to as “destructive devices.” The title appears to some to exclude aircraft by its language, but this has been the subject of much legal debate and wrangling, as in the case of Zacharias Massoui.

I can't say anything about an al Qaeda cell in Jordan.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Peter H. Guest

Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
    That's Master Shake to you, meatwad.
    Yeah, Number one in the hood, G!

Now we just need to figure out where the junk came from originally, anyone want to place a bet?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Peter H.
    Yeah, Number one in the hood, G!

Now we just need to figure out where the junk came from originally, anyone want to place a bet?
    Now it's on the BBC.

As for "where the junk came from," it's most likely that they "made it in their kitchen sink."
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Wouldn't be surprised. Amazing what you can do with a couple year's worth of chemistry and a bit of equipment if you get the recipe in hand. I'd be willing to bet a fair number of them managed to kill themselves in the process, but it is certainly doable. I mean, look at the volume of meth labs in the country run by dweebs with a 6th grade education.

Harvey Moul

Peter H. Guest

Of course it's do-able, but why waste the time and manpower when someone else has already done the work. Between Russia, what we dumped, all the countries that hate us, and what is still unaccounted for from Iraq, I doubt they'd have to look hard to find anything.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Peter H.
    Of course it's do-able, but why waste the time and manpower when someone else has already done the work. Between Russia, what we dumped, all the countries that hate us, and what is still unaccounted for from Iraq, I doubt they'd have to look hard to find anything.
    The only truly credible sources on your list are Russia and all the other countries that hate us.

It's also just too easay to make a variety of things that would be useful. Look at the al Qaeda cell that was caught in England with ricin-hardly a weapon of mass destruction, at least, not one that's easy to apply-but they made it themselves, and it could cause.....well, terror, cause that's what they do. Looking hard is the least of it, all they have to do is get on the internet, and do it themselves, just like all the meth-babies......
    Aaron J. Cuffee

- H.L. Mencken

Peter H. Guest

Originally posted by elder999
    The only truly credible sources on your list are Russia and all the other countries that hate us.
    I'll disagree with you on that. The last report Hans Blix made, Iraq could not/would not account for all the chemical/biological weapons and agents that had been discovered during the initial inventory post Desert Storm. Then, with all the US military equip roaming around that we sold to "allies" who handed it to others or we just lost track of, I find it hard to believe that some of our own stockpiles aren't in the wrong hands.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast