Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tinbe' & Rochen <shield & short spear>

Likes (received)

Question

An open thread dedicated to general questions regarding the tinbe' & rochen or shield & short spear as used in Okinawan weapons traditions
    Doug Daulton

kusanku Guest

Here you have a toroise shell for a shield and a frog spear for a weapon.Actually you can use both as weapons, and do. Often it is taught in a two person kata, prearranged kumite, like.

Sometimes you twirl the frog spear to entangle an attacker's fishnet.

You think Peichin really developed this one, or fishermen, or both? I know, I know.

Come on now, a frog gig and tortoise shell...couldn't samurai do any better than this?

Likes (received)

This thread has been asleep fot about 5 years. How about waking this up? For instance, for someone of average strenght, what would the appropriate weight of a Kumite timbe be for that person? I enclose some pictures, I did order one timbe and Rochin of Mr Don Shapland, the pictures below are some of the timbe and rochin he has made. From what I have heard they are great, I will write some feedback on them when my order has arrived.
    Patrik Weitko

Likes (received)

I talked with Shapland sensei the other day,he told me he had just finished a kumite tinbe(maybe yours) that weighed around 2.5 kilo.I do not know of any other source for kumite tinbe to compare to. His tinbe are very nice,he has been working the bugs out of them for quite some time now and it shows in the results.I am sure you will be very pleased with yours. Tom Hodges

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by harleyt26
    I talked with Shapland sensei the other day,he told me he had just finished a kumite tinbe(maybe yours) that weighed around 2.5 kilo.I do not know of any other source for kumite tinbe to compare to. His tinbe are very nice,he has been working the bugs out of them for quite some time now and it shows in the results.I am sure you will be very pleased with yours. Tom Hodges
    Yes my Kumi Timbe was finished this weekend so it was probarbly that one Shapland was reffering to. I think he mentioned that it would weigh about 2 kg. Here is another picture of a timbe and rochin from another manufacturer. However I thought the Timbe on the picture was to light weight, I like the heavier ones. Also the Rochin wasnt sharpened so I went for Shaplands instead. He has been very helpfull with all my questions and I think that I will like the set extremely much. He has sent me some pictures of my finished Timbe and that looks very very nice!!
    Patrik Weitko

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Four of the pictures Mr Shapland sent me, I choose Kanji but decided to have them written on the back. I think they will be better protected when doing Kumite, this way they wont get scratched.
    Last edited by E.elemental; 14th August 2005 at 23:47.
    Patrik Weitko

Likes (received)

Default Tinbe

Does anyone have a price list or is there one available for Mr. Shapland's Tinbe and Rochin?

Thank you in advance.

Kindest regards,

Mario McKenna
    Vancouver, BC

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanseru
    Does anyone have a price list or is there one available for Mr. Shapland's Tinbe and Rochin?

Thank you in advance.

Kindest regards,

Mario McKenna
    Vancouver, BC
    Kata Timbe (1 kgm) 145 USD (with Kanji 160 USD)
    Sharp Rochin 95 USD

Kata set 255 USD

Kumite Timbe (2 kgm) 170 USD
    Unsharpened Rochin 80 USD

Kumite set 250 USD

Shipping 15 USD Canada and the US, 25 USD for Europe and Asia. These prices should be accurate, however contacting him I think is the best. I for instance wanted the Kumite Timbe but with Kanji. He also has many different Rochin, I wanted one in Cocobolo, sharp. But the prices above could give you an idea. Last time I spoke with him he had some sets ready to be shipped, if not ready the delivery time could be about 4-5 weeks.
    Patrik Weitko

Likes (received)

Default Thanks

Thank you very much for the information!

Kindest regards,
    Mario McKenna
    Vancouver, BC

Likes (received)

Can someone provide contact info on Shapland Sensei? I tried Google, and found lots of mentions, but not one for him or his products.
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwood
    Can someone provide contact info on Shapland Sensei? I tried Google, and found lots of mentions, but not one for him or his products.
    He has 2 sites not really launched yet, they will as I understand present the weapons he is making.

www.ryukyukobudotesshinkan.com

www.tesshinkobudo.org

I`ll send you a PM with contact info.
    Patrik Weitko

Likes (received)

Here is a pic of the Timbe that Shapland Sensei sent me. It is very very nice. Well worth the price.

Robby
    Robby

Ryu Kyu Kobudo

Practice 100 Train 1000

Likes (received)

Default Spears and swords

What are the types of rochin?

I know there is the short spear with variations of head configuration. There is also the machete type rochin with variations of handle length.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rochin 01.JPG 
Views:	748 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	10927

There is also a rochin that looks more or less like a Chinese sword:

Name:	Rochin 02.JPG 
Views:	1041 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	10928

Do the techniques for rochin change depending of the rochin type?

Are some rochin types synonymous with certain kobudo or karate styles?

Are some rochin simply cut down yari or naginata?

If some rochin practitioners are using Chinese swords, are there any using Japanese swords (i.e. wakizashi)
    Liam Cognet

Likes (received)

Default Sword type?

What dictates which rochin type a kobudoka uses? Do practitioners simply use whatever sword/weapon they want?

Here are more examples:

This picture looks to be a fairly standard Japanese tanto is being used in the manor of a rochin. In this example it is being done in Kenshin Ryu Kobudo which is generally associated with Shito Ryu Karate.

Name:	Rochin-tanto.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	10950

This picture looks to be a Chinese Dao is being used. In this example it is being done by a practitioner of Matayoshi Kobudo. To my knowledge Matayoshi Ryu is not synonymous with a particular karate style.

Name:	Rochin-dao.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	10951

This picture is someone using a Chinese butterfly sword. Again, this is Matayoshi Kobudo.

Name:	Rochin-butterfly.PNG 
Views:	653 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	10952

This picture shows a long handled machete type weapon.

Name:	Rochin-machete long.PNG 
Views:	1065 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	10953

This picture shows what looks like a modern machete. According to this link the machete type is Matayoshi and the spear type is "Hozon".

Name:	Rochin-machete modern.PNG 
Views:	675 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	10954

And then there is the classic spear type. [it wont let me add another picture...]
    Liam Cognet

Likes (received)

Here is a better shot of the tanto style:

Name:	Rochin Tanto 2.JPG 
Views:	581 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	10955
    Liam Cognet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast