Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quake to hit LA 'by Sept 5'

Likes (received)

Default Quake to hit LA 'by Sept 5'

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...998278993.html

This is actually very good, science wise tht is.
    -Youji Hajime.

Engrish does not mine strong point

Likes (received)

I see discount airline tickets to LA in the future.
    Daniel Madar

CanuckMA Guest

OTOH, predicting that an earthquake will occur in a 19,300 square km (7200 square miles) area of Southern California within 6 months is a fairly safe bet.

Likes (received)

Not if you also predict that a quake is going to be "measuring at least 6.4 magnitude on the Richter scale".
    -Youji Hajime.

CanuckMA Guest

Earthquakes in th 6 range are recorded at the rate of about 10 per month in the US.

Likes (received)

ah, thanks.
    -Youji Hajime.

Likes (received)

He said he would disclose his other predictions at the close of the window or after the predicted quake occurred.
    Damn, that went from COOL to baffling geology rather quick... How disappointing. Still, we have until sept. to see.
    Daniel Madar

Likes (received)

Talking Tool already predicted it

Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
    I certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this bull
    sh!t
    three
    ring
    cir-cus
    sideshow
    of Freaks here in this
    hopeless f!_!ck!ng
    hole we call LA

--Neil Melancon--

CanuckMA Guest

He said he would disclose his other predictions at the close of the window or after the predicted quake occurred.
    After!!! I predict that there will not be a magnitude 6 earthquake in LA on April 19, 2004. See how accurate I am.

Likes (received)

Talking Speaking of Quakes

NBC's quake miniseries has seismic experts shaking their heads

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- An upcoming TV miniseries about an impossibly large earthquake that strikes the West Coast has left seismic experts shaking their heads at what they called gross inaccuracies.

In NBC's disaster epic "10.5," massive quakes topple the Golden Gate Bridge, send the Pacific Ocean sloshing over Los Angeles, swallow trucks and chase trains. An attempt to stop the temblors by fusing the San Andreas fault with a series of atomic explosions fails.

Seismologists who have previewed "10.5" expressed both alarm and mirth. A magnitude-10.5 earthquake would be 8,000 times more powerful than the 6.7 Northridge quake that killed 72 people in Southern California in 1994.

The faults that underlie California would not be capable of generating such a huge temblor, experts said. Such a quake could be theoretically possible elsewhere, but the largest earthquake in recorded history was a magnitude 9.5 off Chile in 1960.

"The production is blatantly inconsistent with everything we know about earthquakes," said Lucy Jones, scientist in charge of the U.S. Geological Survey office in Pasadena. "It's complete science fantasy, but as long as people know that nothing about it could be true, they can sit back and enjoy it."

Howard Braunstein, executive producer of the miniseries, acknowledged that the film is meant as "fun entertainment" and plays loose with the facts.

Asked whether he consulted scientists in developing the project, Braunstein said: "Not really. We went on the Internet for backup research."

Darrell Young, director of the state Department of Conservation, said NBC should run a disclaimer, as well as list Web sites where audiences could get true information about quakes.

NBC has made no decision about a disclaimer, Braunstein said.

The special effects-laden, four-hour miniseries stars Kim Delaney and Beau Bridges and is set to air May 2 and 3.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

There are a couple of faults that are big enough to generate a quake that big, and there is some historical evidence that it has happened "recently" (geologic scale).

The Pacific NW is theorized to be home to one big daddy of a fault that lets loose every several thousand years, and when I was in Colorado there is a fault line called "The Devil's Backbone". You should see it from the air - it will scare the living hell out of you once the implications of it start to sink in.

Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

n2shotokai Guest

The big one is coming, the big one is coming. Save yourselves! Move out NOW!

Gene Williams Guest

Do you know why New York got all the lawyers and California got earthquakes? California had first choice...

n2shotokai Guest

Originally posted by Gene Williams
    Do you know why New York got all the lawyers and California got earthquakes? California had first choice...
    Do you know the difference between a dead snake and a dead lawyer laying in the road? There are skid marks in front of the snake.

Likes (received)

Q. What's brown and black and looks good on a lawyer?

A. A Rottweiler

Q. What's the recommended EMT action for a lawyer buried up to his/her neck in sand?

A. Buy more sand

Q. What do you call 40,000 lawyers under the ocean?

A. A good start!

(I volunteer at a Public Defender's office. I know all of them.)
    J.T. Hurley

Sic vis pacem, para bellum