Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Daito-ryu & Hakko-ryu

seth Guest

Question

i'm am trying to find an instuctor i used to have in colorado. he was a student of polumbo (sp?)shihan. his name is scott graysmith, last i heard he had moved back to chicago. i was just wondering if anyone on the list knew of him, or might know someone that would. all help would be appreciated.

Likes (received)

Hello Mr. Burrows,

It looks like your not having any luck here. Why don't you try this on the Jujutsu forum. Hakko ryu considers itself a Jujutsu as opposed to Aikijujutsu, even though the founder had trained extensively in Daito ryu.

Regards,

Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Seth, try this:

http://darwin.cwru.edu/~wedig/hakkodenshin/fr_grph.htm

Menkyo Kaiden Shihan Sandai Kichu Michael J. LaMonica
    Eighth Light Dojo
    1177 South Hametown Road
    Akron, OH 44321
    Telephone: (330) 666-3081

Most of the links don't work, but this one for Hakkoryu related sites does:
    http://darwin.cwru.edu/~wedig/hakkodenshin/fr_grph.htm

I've seen photos in a Japanese publication showing Mr. LaMonica at the honbu in Japan.

Regards,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

shinja Guest

Question

Here's one (maybe I'm just asking really dumb questions but...)

Okuyama studied Daito Ryu and based his Hakko Ryu Jujutsu on what he learned.

What's the general opinion of those familiar with Daito Ryu and Hakko Ryu. Is Hakko Ryu considered to be aikijujutsu?

Likes (received)

Hello,

This subject comes up pretty often. Your information is correct, but the simple answer is that if Okuyama Sensei considered his art to be Aikijujutsu, he would likely have called it that instead of Jujutsu.

I have seen both, and Hakko ryu is a solid form of Jujutsu. While it does seem to incorporate "aiki" as defined by arts like Aikido and Judo, it does not appear (to the best of my knowledge) to contain aiki as defined by Daito ryu.

I'd be curious to know why Okuyama Sensei chose not to emphasize the application of DR aiki in his system. There are some in DR that do not give credence to aiki as defined by others in DR, so this could be the case with Okuyama Sensei - I don't know.

Other comments welcome...
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

Richard A Tolson Guest

Shinja,
    I would for the most part agree with Nathan. Hakko-ryu (Eighth Light School) does not consider itself aikijujutsu. However, several on the techniques are movement-by-movement straight from Daito-ryu.
    Okuyama Sensei took only a handful of Daito-ryu techniques to form Hakko-ryu. Many of the aiki principles, joint manipulations and pins of Daito-ryu are still in the style. However, the aiki principles but are not emphasized/over-emphasized like in some forms of Daito-ryu. Hakko-ryu was meant be be an easy to learn, effective art that emphasized showing mercy on the opponent. Control-vs-domination.

shinja Guest

Smile

Thanks for the input!

I have recently started study in Hakko Ryu and based on the history was curious. I know that the Hakko Ryu people I've talked to, though obviously aware of the connection to Daito Ryu, don't really call themselves aikijujutsu. Jujutsu seems to suit them just fine.

Richard A Tolson Guest

Steven,
    Good luck in a great art!
    Richard

Haimeman Guest

Question Hakko ryu lineage

hello,

I've heard of some of the students of hakko ryu, but who were some of the early students of Okuyama sensei? You
    don't hear much about who they were, other than Doshin So.
    Thank you.

James Feliciano

Likes (received)

Hello,

This may getter better response in the Jujutsu forum, since Hakko ryu is considered Jujutsu.

I can't shift your post over, but if you'd like to open a new thread over there your welcome to.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Haimeman Guest

Default Sorry

Hello,

Sorry about that. Have a great day.

James Feliciano

shinja Guest

Cool

Nathan,

Thanks, will do.

Likes (received)

No worries.

Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Hi there,
    In a previous post, James wrote:

I've heard of some of the students of hakko ryu, but who were some of the early students of Okuyama sensei? You
    don't hear much about who they were, other than Doshin So.
    Thank you.

James Feliciano

James, the only other person whom I have heard of who studied under Okuyama who came to any prominence was Mr. Yokota, who later founded DaiYoshinRyu Aikido (no direct relation to Ueshiba Aikido). I believe he studied with Okuyama when he was still with the DaitoRyu organization, before he founded HakkoRyu. Perhaps someone else knows more about this?
    Thanks,

Bill Rodgers

Likes (received)

I heard when I was in Japan that Bruce Lee had studied Hakko-ryu. Can anyone verify this?

Brently Keen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast