Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The value of chanbara

Likes (received)

Question Tim, I have one question about the "outfit"...

So what clan did the stormtroopers belong to? That's obviously a mon on the sides of the helmet...

And as for the discussion here, in a way, it's like the boffers themselves (stay with me folks, this is a brilliant analogy, considering I'm barely awake.) Some people use E-Budo as a serious place to debate and disseminate information--others just come in and wail and flail. And then there are those of us who have every intention of taking it seriously, but then the whole absurdity of the situation hits us. It's all fun and games until someone gets poked in the eye--or the ego.

When the dust settles, all that usually gets hurt here are feelings--if you are the easily-offended type. Which you cannot be, if you intend to enjoy the use of this far-from-perfect medium. E-Budo supplies me with insights, laughs, and occasional blows to my ego--all very good for my health. Now if I could only figure out a way to get it to help me to pay back my college loans...

There. We have spoken. All is good in the world.
    In Sangha,
    Dr. Diane Mirro

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi

I thought that E-Budo was a discussion forum, but it seems that there is an "in group" here, and that if your opinions differ from those of the in group your posts are unwelcome. That being the case this will be my last post here.
    Brian it is not a case of there being an in group and you must agree with it. It is a case of several people with experience agreeing with each other and pointing out that your opinion is based on you not having a really good understanding of what legitimate Japanese swordsmanship is. Your opinions are welcome, but if you don't have the experience to back them up, you better be ready to have them questioned.

Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
    Maybe things are clear to me, and I just have a different viewpoint from you.

You are writing here, too, Chris. Perhaps if you spent more time doing sword arts and not writing about sword arts you wouldn't come across as such a self-righteous ass.
    I don't think you get what Chris was trying to say here Brian. Chris was a senior member of the style you formerly practiced. He is also a very senior member of the Shinto-ryu here in the United States. He has a fair amount of experience in Japanese swordsmanship and much of that is in a legitimate style of Japanese swordsmanship. You by your own admission have not trained in swordsmanship for a very long time, and the style you practiced when you were training is a form of aiki-ken. You do seem to be very book learned on the topic, but that does not an expert on Japanese swordsmanship make. What I think Chris is saying is that you should probably get some mat-time in with a legitimate style of Japanese swordsmanship before you pontificate on the merits of any kind of Japanese sword work or practice.

Regards,
    Scott Irey
    Just another one of those "few peanuts short of a snickers bar" MJER guys.

Likes (received)

I think that the reactions that Mr Owens got on his little statement about aluminium "swords" and cutting thin air was way to harsh. Experience or not, he has given lots of valuable information in different subjects in his time on e-budo, so I see no reason in subjecting him to the kind of treatment we have seen in the last posts. I guess I am just missing a bigger picture.
    Maybe there should be a e-budo hierarchy, based on actual experience. The koryupeople who are resident in Japan on top of course, and the mudansha in gendai budo who lives outside Japan on the bottom. With a rating attached to your signature, we can easily see who to ignore and who to listen to. The retired budo-bums with three jobs and more than two children or ex-wives would be the paria, and would automatically be put on everybodys ignore-list.

Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

Is it just me, or is the atmosphere becoming a little tense in this thread?

Lighten up, fellas. No need to start foaming at the mouth.

Aage Bakken

Ki is like duct tape, it has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together. [yoj]

Likes (received)

Default tee hee

For a split second, I thought one of the articles in that image said, "What is the point?"
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Likes (received)

I read: "Americas Nottest New martial Art/Sport".

different fools different tools.

Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

Wow, that image really belongs in the K^4 thread.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

Originally posted by gendzwil
    Wow, that image really belongs in the K^4 thread.
    Do a google on "Dana Abbott, chanbara". You will find a biiig pic where he cuts an apple in the air with something that looks like the 50usd blunt stainless steel wakizashi I have laying around somewhere.
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

Wow, check out here or here.
    That's gotta be about the longest tsuka I've ever seen in that second pic, which he grips in the middle using only about 10".
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

Doesn't look all that much longer than the stuff Bugei sells does it?
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

That would be the 1st gen Bugei Bamboo koshirae. We cut the handle down to a more reasonable 12" at our dojo. I really can't figure out how he got through the target that cleanly with that ending position. Very odd pic.

Not to mention the scanned pages out of a Toyama Ryu book.
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Likes (received)

I read it as Pong sword...the grip looks a bit stinky anyways....
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Whoa--I'm no sword guy, but how did the blade end up "sideways" relative to the target after the cut with his hands/wrists the way they are? How did the edge of the blade go through?
    Chris McCartney-Melstad

Likes (received)

Default I have returned

I have adjusted my medication, and will try not to over-react in the future. My humblest apologies to all.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Back to the subject at hand:

Originally posted by CMM
    Whoa--I'm no sword guy, but how did the blade end up "sideways" relative to the target after the cut with his hands/wrists the way they are? How did the edge of the blade go through?
    It appears that the technique is one called kiriage, AKA gyaku kesa.

I looks as though the camera timing is such that he has reached the top of his cutting arc and is now flipping the blade for a follow-up kesagiri. If done correctly you can get a piece cut out of the middle before the top piece falls to the floor.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast