Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Keeping Judo in the Family

Likes (received)

Default Keeping Judo in the Family

Front page of today's Sports section in USA Today is a story about Ronda Rousey and the Rousey family:
    Keeping judo in the family
    By David Leon Moore, USA TODAY

SAN DIEGO — Twenty years ago, a judo star became the first American to win a world championship in the sport.

She would have probably made it to Seoul, South Korea, in 1988 for the Olympic debut of women's judo had she not decided to have babies instead.

One of those babies is now 17, a U.S. champion at 63 kilograms (139 pounds) and considered the best bet to become the first U.S. judo competitor, man or woman, to win an Olympic gold medal, maybe even this summer in Athens.

[...]

"She's the poster girl for judo, I think," says Martin Bregman, a geologist, sixth-degree black belt and longtime international referee. "She's the future."

Judo, translated from Japanese, means "gentle way," but it doesn't always translate that way on the mat. Rousey's mother, in her world championship season in 1984, had six "broken arms." She says probably 75% of her matches ended in the submission armlock, called an armbar.

Rousey, like her mom, has become an expert in the move, winning perhaps 60% of her matches with the technique. Depending upon who's doing the counting, Rousey has injured four, five or seven arms in the last six months.

"Across the board, it's probably less than 10%," Rousey's mother says. "It's just more common in our family."

Not everyone in the small-but-passionate judo world approves of all the arm-breaking. In particular, there's a no-holds-barred judo Internet thread in which Rousey is criticized for the trail of injured opponents she has left behind.

When Rousey's mother saw it, she was, typically, outraged.

"It just infuriates me," she says. "She's 17 years old, and people are talking trash about her. It makes me want to go to each of their houses and slap them individually."
    Bill Menker

"I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." -Thomas Carlyle

Likes (received)

Default Give me a break

While at 17 there may or may not be an ego trip about the broken arms. I don't know the young lady and do not pass judgement on that. There has to be accountability for your actions.

I would have to say that with even a 10% injury rate that I might have to consider sanctions on a player. If the armbar is a family trademark that's fine, but, repeated broken arms is unacceptable.

BTW, does mom think people are just going to let her slap these people who complain about her daughter?!?!?
    Robert Cheshire
    Yoseikan Teacher
    www.yoseikanbudo.us
    www.fagri-igraf.org/

MarkF Guest

If you read the entire article, there certainly isn't a record being kept, as different people gave different numbers. Not all the injuries quoted were broken bones, but you do have to read between the lines to get to that. Jimmy Bregman didn't see anything wrong, and while there is always more to a story, and different takes, more needs to be known.

My problem, however, is a shinban not being able to hear or see enough to call the match. If the player knew it, gave up on a hold that would certainly have won the match for her, well, that IS a good sign. Good wa isn't seen in a lot of matches, but neither is it as bad as some say. Giving up on a winning hold when it could have been held until the referee did see the tap-out, well that is a good representation of shiai judo.

I'm hoping the tournament director will give an opinion (Jerry Hays) who does post here from time to time (I also sent an email just to get something from someone who may have seen this most recent incident. Jerry contends he isn't a writer. There are thousands and thousands on Internet message boards who prove that daily.

Mark

Likes (received)

Several thought come to mind about this year Senior Nationals.

First - it takes many volunteers from across the United States to run a tournament of 711 contestants. I thank each one of them. All the volunteers, referees, technical officials, and back room personnel, made this event one of the best Senior Nationals. I thank each one of them who help.

Second – On the first day of competition (when Ronda Rousey played) I was involved with members of the 1964 USA Judo Olympic team. In any large tournament, a referee may be out of position and miss a call. This happens in all sports.

Third – The following is a quote from the Illinois Judo Newsletter – Ippon!! Issue of May 4, 2004, with Kei Narimatsu being the Editor.
    REFLECTIONS ON THE SENIOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS: The San Diego Senior National Championships will be remembered by me as a well-run, relatively exciting national Championship. Jerry Hayes and his San Diego team did a great job in organizing this event and much credit goes to him for the smooth running operation that was transparent to all of us as referees. The venue was great, the hotel was good. But what will stand out to me was the highlighting of the 40 year anniversary of our first Olympic Team, Tokyo Japan, 1964.

But Tokyo was originally scheduled site for the 1940 Olympics which of course were cancelled because of the war. And JUDO was to be introduced at that time. It was Professor Kano’s life long dream to have Judo be a part of the Olympic movement. Professor Kano died en route from an IOC meeting in 1937. His dream would not come to fruition for another 24 years.

The United States in the mid 60’s was having it’s own troubles with racial relations just starting to rear its ugly head, Viet Nam just starting to escalate, President Kennedy’s assassination a recent and sad reality of our times, the Hippie movement which started in San Francisco was moving across the country at break neck speed. But I think it was the racial tensions that characterized the times that undermined the very fabric of our society and one that we are still fighting for today. It was under these circumstances that 4 diverse Americans came together to represent the United States in the first Judo competition ever held at the Olympics.

Lt Col.(USAF ret.) Paul Maruyama – A Japanese-American
    Mr. James Bregman – A Jewish-American – JUDO BRONZE MEDALLIST 1964
    Mr. George Harris – An African-American
    Senator (CO) Ben “Nighthorse” Campbell – A Native-American
    Yosh Uchida, Coach – A Japanese-American

Each of these men truly embrace the true spirit of Judo, that of Mutual Welfare and Benefit for All. Each represented our country and our sport in a time of great racial tension. Each of these men went onto become successful businessmen, military men and Senator. Each of these men have gone their separate ways and though distance and time have kept them apart, they each in their own way keep in touch with each other and with Judo. We were blessed to have these four represent the United States in these Games and we were blessed to have them at the Senior Nationals to honor them not only as Judoka’s but as men of great character. It was an honor to be amongst giants of the Judo world and these four were truly giants. Unquote
    This was the first time in 20-30 years that all five members of the 1964 team were together. Here are a few facts about this team.

There were four divisions, Lightweight, Middleweight, Heavyweight and Open.
    The record of 7 wins and 4 loses, and a fourth place finish overall is the most successful of any USA team in Olympic judo history.
    Every member of the team won at least one match.
    Each member is in the Black Belt Magazine Hall of Fame.
    Each member won numerous national and international medals.
    Each member is a Life Member of USA Judo.

Lieutenant Colonel Paul Maruyama, United States Air Force (Retired) compiled a record of two wins and one loss in the Lightweight Division. Colonel Maruyama served as Olympic Judo Team Coach in 1980 and 1984.

Mr. James Bregman, Olympic and World Bronze Medalist, recorded three wins and one loss in the Middleweight Division. Mr. Bregman is President of United States Judo Association President of DeCo International, Ltd.

Master Sergeant George Harris, United States Air Force (Retired) finished with a record of one and one. Master Sergeant Harris has been involved in judo for over fifty years. He and Mr. Bregman have conducted numerous Camps Olympus and clinics around the world.

Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell is the Senior Senator from the State of Colorado. As Captain of this historical team, during his first match in the Tokyo Games, he threw his opponent in 1 minute and 6 seconds. In his second match, he suffered a knee injury and was unable to continue. Senator Campbell was active in judo for many years when he lived in Northern California. In the 1970’s, he moved to Colorado to manage the family ranch. Before his election to the U.S. Senate, Senator Campbell served from 1987-92 in the U.S. House of Representatives. Before that, he served two terms in the Colorado General Assembly.

Mr. Yosh Uchida, coach. Under Mr. Uchida’s leadership, the San Jose State University Judo team continues to produce outstanding Americans judokas. Two members of the 1964 Olympic team are graduates of San Jose State University. Mr. Uchida has been President of both USA Judo and United States Judo Federation. In 1953, Mr. Uchida started a judo bulletin to help spread the news of judo activities. Today, Mr. Uchida is President and Founder of Uchida Enterprises in San Jose, CA.

I have known AnnMaria Rousey (the mother) for twenty years. She is a feisty competitor and very outspoken. She does not physically slap people around. Anytime you have excellent to great athletes, someone is always going to twist the truth about them. Ronda is a sweet young lady. On the mat, just like her mother (a world champion in judo in 1984) is another story. If you go on the mat with Ronda, expect a battle.

The personnel involved in running the tournament are very happy to receive all the nice words about the tournament and the opening ceremony. Members of the 1964 USA Judo Olympic team are true gentlemen and it was our pleasure to be their host.

Jerry Hays
    Tournament Director
    2004 USA Judo Senior National

MarkF Guest

Thank you, Jerry, for responding. The article itself (in the first post probably should have, either, been copied and pasted in full, or just the link should have been posted to get more of the point the author wished to make. At least, it would have stood on its own, but I think the editing done was a disservice to the family involved, though I doubt it was meant to do that purposely.

Jerry still says he's not a writer. He has plenty to say and he did so in a keystroke environment.

Would anyone like a thread to discuss purposeful injury? I don't think this was, as the girl let her opponent up as she did know the girl had given (Maitte). But we can discuss it. I've seen more truly great kansetsu waza in the judo of today than I did when I competed. There was good sumission holds to be sure, but some today are so complicated that it is difficult to call it easy, but some do make it seem so.

These days, it is common for a competitor, locked in a brutal, but even match, to purposely take more time than allowed to arrange his/her clothing, accepting that the shinban would award koka to the opponent by way of shido to the him/herself. Perhaps I am in the minority, but I generally teach my opponents to win with good or better judo than the opponent so that a koka here or shido there doesn't decide it. On the other hand, I try to make sure they are schooled in the art of escape or reverse.

I've pretty much thought like that when, in one particular tournament in the early seventies, I had a waza-ari lead on the opponent and it was called a draw. Never assume anything. You can be ahead five koka to nothing, and still lose. It is like the boxer, after his corner states after the 9th round not to be foolish, the fight is ours. Then loses by one round on two of three score-cards. Never take it for granted. It became a rule more important than scoring three koka and two yuko, if there is time left in the match (and today, a five minute match can last more than one-half hour), you havn't lost yet. Go for it.

Mark

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    If you read the entire article, there certainly isn't a record being kept, as different people gave different numbers. Not all the injuries quoted were broken bones, but you do have to read between the lines to get to that. Jimmy Bregman didn't see anything wrong, and while there is always more to a story, and different takes, more needs to be known.
    Mark
    Ok, so I saw a documentary on Ronda last night as a prelude to her role as a coach on the next season of The Ultimate Fighter and decided to run a search on her since I knew of her long Judo history. To my surprise I came across this thread that I had posted to 9 years ago and have to admit I never went back and re-read the entire article until today. Mark was right (as he often was) in that the entire article paints the picture a little differently and would have made me say - Oh, ok I can buy into that explanation. I think it is great that Ronda continues to use her Judo in her MMA matches and continues to be a "first" for women in many things.

Just had to throw out that apology for not going back and reading the entire article - and to Ronda for ever saying she should have been sactioned without truely knowing the whole story or what I was talking about.

As a final thought - I didn't realize how truely much of a Bad "A" AnnaMaria was at the time I originally wrote that but very much believe (if she REALLY tried) she could get away with a few face slaps! ;-)
    Last edited by Robert Cheshire; 3rd September 2013 at 14:27.
    Robert Cheshire
    Yoseikan Teacher
    www.yoseikanbudo.us
    www.fagri-igraf.org/

Likes (received)

It's still happening today. Her idiot opponents don't know when they're caught or are too stubborn to tap, and they end up with a severe dislocation for their trouble. She's not at fault for completing the technique and getting the win.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

8. Likes Robert Cheshire liked this post
    Likes (received)

Yeah - I like how they now say something to the effect that "she won't get the armbar on me" and their coaches say we've had people come in for months now to train (whoever is going against her) on how to defend. I like what Ronda said on the show last night (and I've heard her say it before) - "I don't care who they've brought in - they aren't as good as my mom." It lends itself to what I tell my students when I do a basic technique on them and they seem awestruck - it's not that I'm better than you, it's I've done this technique 10's of thousands of times since I've started. Months of practice (even with top instructors) doesn't match YEARS of practice with top instructors.
    Robert Cheshire
    Yoseikan Teacher
    www.yoseikanbudo.us
    www.fagri-igraf.org/