Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Yasuhiro Nishiyama

Likes (received)

Default Yasuhiro Nishiyama

I don't have any details yet, but I just learned by visiting midwestkendo.org that Nishiyama-sensei passed away.

I only met this man a couple of times, but was always inspired by him. He was 8th-dan kendo and former head of the Tokyo police dojo. I was fortunate in that he attended the annual Detroit kendo tournament a couple of times. Once, I attended a kata seminar with him. It was awesome.

As I said, I don't have any details at this time. As he was well-travelled, I imagine many of you may have trained with this man? I have a poem by him in my budo journal that was always printed in the program for the Detroit tourney. I'll type it up and post it here when I get the time.

This weekend we are having a small tournament in my area and I am going to do my extra-best to conduct myself well on and off the court in his memory.
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

Bump.

Well, the most recent Kendo World had the man's obit. He was Hanshi, 8th dan, aged 68, from Kumamoto, had an illustrious competitive and educational career and was chief instructor for the Keishicho (Tokyo Metro Police) kendo division. From the mag (I'm typing straight from the mag, copyright Kendo World):

He was affectionately known as the "Evil Yoda" by many petrified foreign kendoka for his habit of appearing out of nowhere to convey his unfathomable wisdom and experience through the medium of a shinai... Nishiyama sensei was also very fond of the odd brewski after training, and stories abound about his exploits.
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.