Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Q&A: Hyoho Niten Ichi ryu

Likes (received)

Default Q&A: Hyoho Niten Ichi ryu

In this thread, please engage in a dialogue with Hyakutake Colin about Hyoho Niten Ichi ryu. Thanks, Hyaku.

First off, check out: www.hyoho.com
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

mareo Guest

Where is the school or dojo of Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu located?

mareo Guest

Maybe the address where they practice in Japan?

Likes (received)

Who was more dangerous in a sword fight - Miyamoto Musashi or Yagyu Munenori? Did the two ever meet? Did they know of each other?

Likes (received)

mareo,

Please read the announcement called "E-Budo Rules". It says "Please sign your posts with your full name." The announcement can be found in every forum. Thank you.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

We are based down In Kyushu. We use facilities in Fukuoka, Kokura and Usa (Oita)

Some of us have our own Dojos that we use for our own and private instruction.

Membership wise if you don't practice your name comes "off" the meibo (list).

Workgroups in other countries are Canada, UK, France, Finland, Philippines, Taiwan, one person in Spain. More recently Australia and Greece, Russia are hoping to form a group.

With regard to the second question Musashi v Yagyu. Some of us try to seperate fact from fantasy.

The aims of the Ryu are to try and hold true to the teachings of Musashi and the present Soke. Also to know and respect what other Soke have taught. To try and encipher the deep meanings with Gorin no Sho that it has for us as a manual/text.

Apart from that, who fought who, who bathed and when and what they had for breakfast is all rather beyond us.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

mareo Guest

Probaly Yagyu Munenori since he is the swordsmanship instructor of Tokugawa shogunate.It would be idiotic for Musashi to challenge
    Munenori because of dodge politic ground.If Munenori ever challenge
    Musashi,it is best he refused the duel.

Maybe Musashi ever meet Munenori since they both lived in the same era,then againt he is only a low class samurai.

mareo Guest

Thanks Hyaku.

Likes (received)

Hyaku sensei, could you possibly give those of us who are ignorant(I'm one of them!) a sort of brief overview of what is involved in Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu? Are there any weapons besides the sword studied? What is the basic ideology?
    Many thanks
    Peter Ross

Waiter: "Can I tell you about today's specials?"
    Patrick Bateman: "Not if you want to keep your spleen"

Likes (received)

Well most of this info is up on the site.

It mentions about Musashi's Mu and the idealogy behind it. Waza is based on Sen only. To deal with an intiated attack.

We start with Itto Seiho (one weapon) used in one or both hands. Some are fortunate enought to be considered as to have got the hang of that after a "number" of years and progress to Okuden taught behind closed doors.

This starts with Nitto Seiho (long and short weapon) Kodachi, Bo, Jujitsu and Jutte. The last three have mostly been handed down from teacher to teacher.
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

I'm interested in how much study is devoted to Go Rin No Sho, and it's interesting to me that you say you are still working actively to understand it. This is something that has been discussed before.

But another thing I'd like to ask is if Musashi wrote anything else, and if it, too, is studied by students of the ryu? What about his drawings (or are they better refered to as paintings?)?
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

Hello,

just two questions:

Im' from Spain and I'd like to know more about this art; can you tell me who is that guy trining in Spain? I've meet two people who claims things like that (teaching Niten Ichi Ryu)

Also I've meet in Japan a guy who is training with Morito Miyagawa sama; and says that they practice also Niten Ichi Ryu. They say they practice a different line. What do you know about that? They train in Kyoto but now they also train in Kobe.

Thanks for all.

Take care.
    Xavi Vila

Barcelona - Catalunya - Spain

Likes (received)

Hello Charlie

Yes Dokodo seems to figure big. Imai Soke wrote a nice book on Dokodo and also put down the Itto and Nitto Seiho.

We have made quite a bit of progress to translate it. But the Seiho will take time.

Problem is everyones interpretation has some slight variation. One could then publish and find in a few years a need to redo it.

Soke is amazing and at eighty eighty still seems to find more and more deep meaning from it. He has studied Buddhism as sees a lot of simlarity.
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Hi!

I have a couple of questions...

Firstly, I have read that Miyamoto Musashi was rather a large fellow. Do you think that the two sword techniques of Niten could be performed as effectively in combat by a person of smaller stature, or did Musashi create the techniques to take full advantage of his large size and superior strength?

Secondly, were any particular ways of wearing and drawing the shoto and daito? For example would the shoto be worn on the left or the right to facilitate drawing?

Finally, are there any books/videos available that demonstrate Niten? We do a small amount of Niten in class every so often, and I would love to learn more about it.

Many Thanks!

(This is my first post so please be gentle )
    Alex Bradshaw

bradshaw.jp

Likes (received)

Hello Xavi

Good question. I will try to cover it in detail.

But for obvious reasons I don't want to go too public with the politics of the ryu and as to who is who. That's for us to know.

There have obviously been people trying to branch off in the past in many ryu, and I'm sure it will happen in the future. It's a never ending tangled web of the most excellent students and family members wanting to be head because daddy was etc.

All in all "branch off" is one way of putting it. But these people actually calling themselves "A Branch" would not be always acurate.

More like a leaf. We do have aword for it in Japan. Kareha (Borrowed leaf)

But its a democracy here. Some people don't like it but there is little one can do if someone decides to "set up shop". Some ryu have successfuly overcome things.

All I can suggest is if you find yourself in a position of having to choose you should sleep on it for more than one night.

Frankly I am rather disappointed that so many people want to be Chiefs and not Indians. Problem is they move on when they are still Indians but to outsiders it "looks" like they have become a Chief

What I can tell you is like other ryu, various certification is given by different headmasters over the generations. Some of this is Meiyo. Recognition on an honorary basis having taught part or in some cases "none" of the teachings. Don't ask me why they do this. Sometimes its quite beyond Japanese comprehension too. What can I say. Japanese like giving certificates?

But nowadays there is somebody else that figures in all this. The Association. Upside is a recognised association will only recognise one head. Downside is of course you can have more than one association. In fact some will actually form an association to go with the ryu and willingly invite along a few more ryu for good measure. Then you will see a few more branches as members seek to leave their own teachers and do their own association thing.
    So back to us:

We have and will have one Soke recognized by the Nippon Budokan and Nihon Kobudo Kyokai. That's the way they want it. That's the way we want it too. I know the present Soke only taught "everything" he knows to one other person.

Yes there are other people that profess to be perhaps another branch. Are we bothered? Not in the least.

Yes I have heard of Miyakawa Sensei. He was a student of the late Aoki Soke.

Aoki Soke taught here in Japan. Went to live in Taiwan and taught there for some time. He came back because of WW2. The Jisso Enman no Bokuto (Musashi's bokuto) was left there, then returned much later.He then taught here in Japan in yet another place. He was also Soke of the Sekiguchi Ryu. He actually lost his job after the war for teaching Kenjutsu at high school.

Aoki Sensei taught a lot of people in a lot of places. But his final wishes were that Kiyonaga should follow him. He received the Bokuto and Makimono.

The Jisso Enman no Bokuto is a National Treasure. It is now held in safe keeping by Usa Jingu (Shrine). It is loaned out to be returned after a specified period of time But only Soke or someone appointed by him can have it.

Our representative in Spain is Ricard Pous Cuberes - Professor d'Esgrima - Institut del Teatre

He has paid a number of visits to practice over here with us.

Sorry its long
    Hyakutake Colin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast