Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Q&A: Hyoho Niten Ichi ryu

Likes (received)

Hyaku

I know Kim Taylor up in Canada has done Niten Ryu work.

But are you aware of anyone in the U.S. that is a member of your group?

Chris Thomas

Likes (received)

hello Hyakutake, thanks for the reply.

I haven't heard of that guy, the person who has done Niten that you have named (Ricard Pous), his name seems Catalan. Do you have his address or how to contact him? Maybe he is near where I live. You can send me a PM if you like.

About Miyagawa sama, he was invited to the last Taikai in Kyoto. I don't know (and don't like) about politics in the school; but my way is to be with the one I feel comfortable with; knowing what I'm doing . Thank you very much for the information; this August I'll fly to Japan and hopefully meet Miyagawa and train with him; I'll write to you my impressions. I've seen the lineage of Miyagawa sama and don't seem false; also, I know that he learnt Niten from his father (I don't remember the name, sorry)

Thanks for all.

Take care.
    Xavi Vila

Barcelona - Catalunya - Spain

Likes (received)

Question:

Is there a schedule for HNIR to do enbu for the year? Say, if I were to visit Japan in the future, when/where should I go to be able to catch some of it?

Thanks,
    Mingshi (Jenny) Wan

Likes (received)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZealUK
    [B]Hi!

I have a couple of questions...

Firstly, I have read that Miyamoto Musashi was rather a large fellow. Do you think that the two sword techniques of Niten could be performed as effectively in combat by a person of smaller stature, or did Musashi create the techniques to take full advantage of his large size and superior strength?

No, there is no connection with size and strength with exception to the fact that I find it very hard work using a weapon in each hand. But after years and years holing one weapon is has to be hard.
    Secondly, were any particular ways of wearing and drawing the shoto and daito? For example would the shoto be worn on the left or the right to facilitate drawing?

Both are worn on the left. There is a method of drawing but this is done at a distance before the approach to a fighting distance. Hyoho Niten Ichiryu is not a sword drawing art but deals with an aggressor who has already drawn and is attacking.
    Finally, are there any books/videos available that demonstrate Niten? We do a small amount of Niten in class every so often, and I would love to learn more about it.

No sorry there is not from us. Although Taylor Sensei - Canada has an excellent manual that bears similarity to the way that Aoki Soke used to practice.

Eventualy we will publish both Ito and Nito Seiho with Dokodo. But particularly in what we do there is little substitute for actual practice. is has long been a history in this an other arts that it should be an oral tradition.

If you read Gorin no Sho he repeatedly says "This is an oral tradition" or "This should be studied"
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Originally posted by cxt
    Hyaku
    I know Kim Taylor up in Canada has done Niten Ryu work. But are you aware of anyone in the U.S. that is a member of your group?
    Chris Thomas
    Sorry, things were a bit too hectic to have remembered everybodys name. Yes there were some from the U.S. on last September's seminar

Also some noisy guy called Raymond Sosnowski was in a neighbouring room.

Lol Hello Ray hows things
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Originally posted by mingshi
    Question:

Is there a schedule for HNIR to do enbu for the year? Say, if I were to visit Japan in the future, when/where should I go to be able to catch some of it? Thanks,
    Hello Ming

Some are set dates like Nihon Kobudo Kyokai in Tokyo and Hiroshima others just crop up. We just had a Sasaki Kojiro rememberance in Kokura and did one there.
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Xavi
    hello Hyakutake, thanks for the reply.

Thank you very much for the information; this August I'll fly to Japan and hopefully meet Miyagawa and train with him; I'll write to you my impressions........

Take care.
    Thanks but dont bother. Not really interested.
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Hello again Hyakutake,

hope I don't disturb you with these writtings (Is this spelled correctly?)

Thanks again for your explanation before.

Do you know if Mr. Ricard Pous is able to teach or is teaching Niten Ichi Ryu in Spain? Or how to contact him?

Thanks a lot.
    Xavi Vila

Barcelona - Catalunya - Spain

Likes (received)

Thanks for answering my questions!
    Alex Bradshaw

bradshaw.jp

Likes (received)

Hyaku,

From reading Go Rin No Sho, I get the sense - a distant sense, since I'm reading it in English and it's a cryptic work - that Musashi was a practical fighter. He says in his introduction that he honed his skills in duels, that he has experience with battles. To what extent is that practicality evidenced in the techniques of the ryu? Is it one that emphasizes results - winning the exchange - over good form?
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

Hyaku

Thanks.

Chris Thomas

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Xavi
    Hello again Hyakutake,

Do you know if Mr. Ricard Pous is able to teach or is teaching Niten Ichi Ryu in Spain? Or how to contact him?Thanks a lot.
    Sorry I dont quite understand. You said in the previous post that you were going to train with Miyakawa Sensei. I am sure himself will tell you thats its not really the thing to do skipping between teachers.

You mentioned lineage. I really dont want to get political on this forum. When alls said and done the politics of the ryu very simple. One bokuto, one makimono etc. But its really a private matter and not for the internet. Any further mention and I will ask that the thread be closed.

Respectfully yours
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Hyaku,

In HNIR there are also several techniques that use the kodachi. How significant are grappling and controlling in this part of the syllabus?

Thanks in advance.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Charlie Kondek Hyaku, To what extent is that practicality evidenced in the techniques of the ryu? Is it one that emphasizes results - winning the exchange - over good form?
    There is a one hundered percent emphasis on winning the exchange. We don't do anything else. Whereas other arts practice many variations such as go sen no sen etc.

We start with Uchidachi taking it a little slowly but gradually pushing shidachi to respond as fast as possible to try and create a real situation.

Also there is a large emphasis on getting out of the way combined with the attack.

Subconsciously one weighs them up in the attack. Sometimes I find myself getting out of the way and not putting enough into the technique. But at least in practice we dont kill each other and I can try and try again to reach more prefection. In that respect it offers me a bit more than Kendo did in a sense of realism.

Musashi's emphasis in later life was on nutural action. But to me this natural action can be misunderstood. For example we can watch our older most respected teachers in Budo and see an extremly strong but natural reaction.

But others fail to see this and get on the natural bandwagon too early with out going through the hard work stage to get there. To me the the words from Hagakure "You can start to take it easy at around fifty" does not work for everbody.

One thing I can see also is the present Soke has brought an extremly dynamic aspect into the Ryu and perhaps has reached a better understanding than others for some generations.
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Steve Delaney
    Hyaku,

In HNIR there are also several techniques that use the kodachi. How significant are grappling and controlling in this part of the syllabus?

Thanks in advance.
    Ohayo Steve

In some of the kodachi waza its a clean technique. Close work seeks to take hold of the opponent, lay off the other weapon, break the balance and cut the neck.

There is an under the chin approach to almost everything where the weapon long or short finishes just off the skin under the throat to complete.

Its all close work that forces the opponent back if at all as he has nowhere else to go to try and regain composure so one gets the feeling that you have a weapon but if need be you could equally control the opponent.

An unusual concept for a big manlike Musashi? I was always told in Kendo "You are big and strong, stay straight and strong use the distance advantage"
    Hyakutake Colin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast