Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Q&A: Hyoho Niten Ichi ryu

Usagi Yojimbo Guest

In Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu, are both swords ever drawn simultaeneously? If so, how are both swords loosed from the saya? Thank you, sir.

Likes (received)

Default Hmmm...

Hello Hyakutake san...
    Thanks for finding the time to answer these questions for us!

In Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu, are both swords ever drawn simultaeneously? If so, how are both swords loosed from the saya? Thank you, sir.
    ...Actually....Is there any actual Iai contained in the Ryu? I have seen only Kenjutsu practised with Bokken...But then that's only the outer level kata...
    I believe that you have spoken about the Jujutsu practiced in the school earlier here...Is this just something that Imai Sensei has knowledge of, or is it part of the teachings passed down from an earlier head?
    The Omote forms that I have seen are all based around the Kenjutsu: kodachi, nito, and single long sword...Is there any more in there that you can mention?
    And again, many thanks for the question and answer session....
    Regards..
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

I have one questions regarding the bokken(s) you use : do you use specifically the kind of bokken(s) we see everywhere advertised as Niten Ichi ryu daisho (the thinner and lighter ones) or is that just a marketing fad ?

Thank you for your time,
    Julien Grouteau,
    expatriate froggy

Likes (received)

Default more on the go rin, sorry

Thanks again for humoring us, it is much appreciated.

So without going into material that you feel is private, but generally speaking, do you feel that the Go Rin no Sho offers something unique to those studying NIR as opposed to those studying other sword lines? I ask because while I have read a few translations and have found some interesting comments in the text, I have always wondered about how it must read to someone from within the art. To be honest, since there was an existant style associated with the author, I have always felt that to try and apply the specifics of the text would at best be kind of foolish without the personal instruction and at worst slightly unethical. I find it intersting how many people site the work as a basis for strategy or technique who have never even seen NIR performed. I know that if I was to write down everthing I knew about my own art, in as much detail as I could, it would be nearly impossible for someone outside of the art to really understand what I was getting at.

Comments? Hope that wasn't too off the wall.
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Ecknerol
    I have one questions regarding the bokken(s) you use : do you use specifically the kind of bokken(s) we see everywhere advertised as Niten Ichi ryu daisho (the thinner and lighter ones) or is that just a marketing fad ? Thank you for your time,
    Yes they are a bit of a fad and the ones you buy in the shop are far too light.

The kodachi wont last one practice session.

We do use specific weapons though. We get them made ourselves.

For the "Best in the West" I have to give Kim Taylor a plug. We have been using his.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Default Re: more on the go rin, sorry

Originally posted by chrismoses
    Thanks again for humoring us, it is much appreciated.

So without going into material that you feel is private, but generally speaking, do you feel that the Go Rin no Sho offers something unique to those studying NIR as opposed to those studying other sword lines? etc....
    Soke is very pleased and at the same time surprised how so many others can identify with Gorin no Sho.

I would really hope one day to do a book going into precise detail of the waza and identifying that with parts of the book. As Musashi says, "With a feeling of..........." applied to specific parts of a waza.

Personaly I can practice, read the book and say Aaah that's what he meant by that!

Then I could pick it up in another few years and see ever further into it. Yes to me most parts of the book identify directly with what we do.

His philosophy was, "Learn the heart before you learn the sword. If you, your family or country are threatend pick up your weapon of the day, embrace your fatality and "kill them".

So that's what the Fire Book deals with. As a guideline of how to deal with the enemy. Still a very neccesary part of the book. We should research it all because it's what the other guy might do that counts a lot. That's the part where I suppose we get all this, book cover spiel from too.

It was only last week that someone was asking how to do a "Fire and Stones cut". Someone else is convinced that he should practice on his own. He has picked up on Musashi saying, "All things with no teacher"?

There is really no stopping some people. Such are the consequences of reading a manual before you have even seen the work to be done. Its Musashi's story of success. But we don't all read a how to become a milionare book and actually become one!

Lol I better shut up. I might talk people out of buying the book.
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Haha!

I don't know if you meant me, but I had asked a couple of times if the Fire and Stones Cut was like a sashi-men in kendo.

I need to know for when I proclaim myself soke of an art based on the book, of course...
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by hyaku
    Sorry, things were a bit too hectic to have remembered everybodys name. Yes there were some from the U.S. on last September's seminar

Also some noisy guy called Raymond Sosnowski was in a neighbouring room.

Lol Hello Ray hows things
    Almost missed this in the msg. traffic.

Given the state of things, we're doing fine.

It'll be another busy Summer -- I'm planning a repeat appearance in Canada in August.

Be well.
    Raymond Sosnowski

"Setsunintoh, Katsuninken, Shinmyohken."

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: more on the go rin, sorry

Hi, Colin

I am a newbie to this forum, so please forgive me if I make any mistake. And especially, I mean no discourtesy at all, so I really hope I won't make any bad remark or question and I do apologise if I make any.

First of all, thanks for all your kind replies to inquiries on the Niten Ichi ryu.

I was wondering if I could ask you some questions...

1) In a previous post, I read that Aoki sensei was the Soke of Sekiguchi ryu as well. Is that the Sekiguchi ryu battojutsu, jujutsu or both? And is it still taught in the Niten Ichi ryu as well? If (IF) I'm not mistaken (please do correct me if I am), Yonehara sensei became the Soke of the Sekiguchi ryu battojutsu, at the same time as he became the Hachidai Fushimi (is this the correct word?) of Niten Ichi ryu, helping Kiyonaga sensei and Imai sensei. So, at first sight, it seems to me that Sekiguchi ryu and Niten Ichi ryu got a bit dissociated, though obviously very closely related to each other.

2) Are there any plans to release a book containing and/or commenting the other works by and related to Musashi? I think that most people know only the Gorin no Sho, while there are many more works that could be of interest. Not only Dokkodo (which I think it's a very good work: short, simple, straight to the point and meaningful), but also works like Heiho Sanju Go ka jo, Enmei ryu kenjutsu sho, Heiho Goho no maki, Nitenki and many others.

3) Chances are that I'll be in Japan for some months by the end of this year. Is it possible to watch a keiko at the Niten Ichi ryu dojo? And if so, could you provide the address of one of the dojos? PM or e-mail is fine, if you don't want to publish the address for the general public. I understand that there are many different "branches" of Niten Ichi ryu and I don't want to knock on the wrong door

And last,

Originally posted by hyaku
    It was only last week that someone was asking how to do a "Fire and Stones cut".
    I think that's very easy: just get a sharp sword named "Fire and Stones" and bring it down
    Luiz Kobayashi

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Re: more on the go rin, sorry

Originally posted by lkobayas [/i]
    Hi, Colin

I was wondering if I could ask you some questions...

1) In a previous post, I read that Aoki sensei was the Soke of Sekiguchi ryu as well. Is that the Sekiguchi ryu battojutsu.......

Sorry I dont have any minute details. What I was told was it was never the idea to permenantly have the two Ryu under on Soke. So they simply went their own ways after Aoki Sensei.

2) Are there any plans to release a book containing and/or commenting the other works by and related to Musashi?

No not really. Dokkodo may appear to be short but its expanation is long.

3) Chances are that I'll be in Japan for some months by the end of this year. Is it possible to watch a keiko at the Niten Ichi ryu dojo?

Possibly. Pm me nearer the date.
    Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Colin,

thanks a lot for your reply

I will PM you before I go there then. Thanks again!
    Luiz Kobayashi

Likes (received)

To go a little further on this branch thing.

Yamaoka Tesshu writes about it in the Itto Shoden Muto Ryu Kanaji Mokuroku.

The Masters Teaching

One who claims to have thoroughly learned his master's techniques while disregarding his master's teaching, relying instead on his own talents, is worst than a fool....... He also says "Teachers must exercise special caution not to impart their wisdom to those who are not ready for it."

That's the way Imai Soke deals with it. It's an unwritten law they go by. And you can bet that teaching came down from his teacher and so on.

Regardless of certification he has only taught one person everything. I have witnessed this in the dojo in the fervour and seriousness directed to but one.

There seems to be some character clashes in some ryu. But like it or not one must implicitly adhere to what the "present" Soke teaches. or find oneself not an actual branch but "stuck on one" with no chance of getting off it.
    Hyakutake Colin

Robert Miller Guest

What type of wood was Musashi's bokken made from, and what were it's dimensions?

Likes (received)

Smile

Bump! Here you go Charlie!
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Robert Miller
    What type of wood was Musashi's bokken made from, and what were it's dimensions?
    Looks like very old red oak. Dimension? Difficult to say. Not much different from what we use now. I bit thicker and heavier. Longer than a standard Kendokata Bokuto This page has a few pics.

http://www.hyoho.com/inuag.html

The one where it is being handed over might give you some idea.
    Hyakutake Colin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast