Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Q&A: Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu

Likes (received)

I think the distinct line thing has it's roots in Tosa Iai. MJER has had a great many practitioners since well before it was called MJER. As a result, I think a little variance is to be expected.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

The problem I am having at the moment is defining what is a basic and what is a variant. Some of you may know I am writing a book on MJER, so for me it is VERY important to get this sort of thing correct. I eventually decided to use tanimura ha as the basic guide, and shimomura ha as the alternative kae waza, with other variations that I have come across in the kae waza section. This is not to say that either is better or worse than the other, just different and you need to draw the line for a starting point of reference. Anyone do shimomura ha as their mainstream iaido?
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

I was under the impression that for the most part Tanimura-ha and Shimomura-ha both largely fell by the wayside, or more accurately became kaewaza, when Oe-sensei reorganized both ha into what is now MJER.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

You will largely learn one or the other depending on your teachers preference...there are some quite subtle differences that show your mainstream approach.
    When Iwata sensei visited us for the first time in the UK he noticed we mainly did Tanimura ha so he teaches that here as the 'basic' set. I personally quite like the Shimomura ha and intend to study this more intensively on my next visit to Japan. I am quite lucky in the fact that Iwata sensei will teach both, although I notice he tries to play Shimomura down just to keep us all focused on Tanimura and not mix the two up...
    Tim Hamilton

Likes (received)

I'm wondering why people are so prepossesed with is lineage thing? Some rant on as if they belong to some Samurai clan!

Its all beyond me. When we watch an Embu we can see who does something that is handed down and who mixes it. How much is basic and how much you have made up to fill in the gaps. We just sit quitely and "watch".

Each teacher should and will treat you as an individual and teach you Iai to fit your particular stature. They appreciate good technique with your own character and would laugh at a clone.

That must cut the lineage thing down quite a bit. One thing for sure is we all sit in seiza. That's what its all about. To try and put the embarassing war aspect on one side and use it as an educational tool.

People must understand that some of these older guys really did use a weapon on some basis. There must be an understanding of the "ware ware wa nihonjin desu" (We are Japanese!) If it portrays and stands for the present priciples of Japan its all good in anybodys book. At least thats how its explained to me over here. That's one of the reasons they like to put emphasis on "intanashonaru". To spread the word. Thats one of the reasons why those that go abroad have the respect of others. Thats why people like Iwata are married to Iai and have no interest in the guided tour bit when abroad.

Cut the lineage crap avoid the politics and find a good teacher and things work out ok.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Ben Bartlett Guest

Originally posted by hyaku

Cut the lineage crap avoid the politics and find a good teacher and things work out ok.
    But... then what would we spend hours on e-budo discussing?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Charles Mahan
    I was under the impression that for the most part Tanimura-ha and Shimomura-ha both largely fell by the wayside, or more accurately became kaewaza, when Oe-sensei reorganized both ha into what is now MJER.
    Charles,

I was under the impression the Oe-sensei as head of the Tanimura-ha reorganized & renamed the Tanimura-ha into MJER. While Hakudo sensei did the same thing with Shimonura-ha and named it MSR.
    Tim Mailloux

Likes (received)

Afraid not, you can still do Shimomura and I definitely do Tanimura (to the best of my limited ability anyway)Things will become more blurred as time goes on if we are not careful though...

Hyaku, you've closed down all the boards!
    Tim Hamilton

Likes (received)

Smile

Bump!
    Carolyn Hall

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2