Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Q&A: Kendo

Likes (received)

Actually, I'm finding that the more kendo I do, the lower it gets. Been working on keeping the power of my cuts in the legs, hips and body rather than arms and chest. Ask Hyaku about kahanshin. It means, as I understand it, lower body strength, and it's something Hyaku feels is underdeveloped in the western model. I have been working closely with a Japanese sempai these past couple years and he has been showing me this, too.
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

I realize that, I think. Lowering your center is something Tatsumi Sensei really stressed, especially in Tai Atari. If not you wound up on your can. I guess what I'm curious about is if Itto Ryu has any rotation in it. Thank Charlie for the excellent reply. I got to go now I'm going with my daughter's 1st grade clas on a zoo trip.

Gambatte Kudasai
    Ed Boyd

G. Zepeda Guest

I had to do Koshi exercises till I dropped more than once. Then there's the waddling across the dojo floor and back in kamae...ouch, I hurt just thinking about all that lactic acid!

Likes (received)

Smile

Bump!
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Question matter of bogu

Does anybody here own expensive hand-made bogu from Japan? My question is... is it worth the investment? Will the cheaper bogu do, or do we recommend upgrades? What is the difference? If better? How?
    David Carlton
    "It was swim, or else" -Duke

Likes (received)

They all look similar in the photo but the main difference is in the stitching. If you practice regularly you might want to go for a one or one point five men and a good pair of kote. Hand stitched stretches into shape better than machine.

But there are different weights too. I have a regular men that is like armour plating and a thin lightweight for shia.

As to Do: Obviously bamboo last longer than fibre. But its the mune part above the shell and the way its stitched together that stands the test of time.

One thing more you might consider is which side of the dojo are you? If like me you have to receive hard kakari geiko from around thirty people you need good protection!

Do you practice every day? If not I think you might be overspending on hand stitched.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down Electrification of Kendo

Aloha!

Speaking as the senior Fencing Master for Hawaii, & with 52 years of experience, I can tell you that using electronic weapons has definitely damaged the sport of fencing -- perhaps fatally.

I am probably most disgusted that foil & epee fencers can "whip" their blades around & get "valid" touches on their opponent's back! Of course, in a real battle, they wouldn't last more than a few seconds, but that doesn't seem to bother the fools at the international fencing federation.

As far as kendo, if any of you have watched a slow-motion video of a solid men or do, you won't be surprised when I mention that there is almost as much "whippiness" with a shinai as there is with a foil.

I certainly hope that kendo will not go the same way.

Ken Goldstein
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

Default Re: Electrification of Kendo

Originally posted by Ken-Hawaii

As far as kendo, if any of you have watched a slow-motion video of a solid men or do, you won't be surprised when I mention that there is almost as much "whippiness" with a shinai as there is with a foil.
    There's no "whip" to a shinai. It's doesn't bend in any detectable way from merely swinging it, like a foil will. The bend you see is the result of the shinai bending around the target on contact - an entirely different beast.

Having said that, I agree completely - no electronic scoring.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Default Shinai whippiness

Aloha, Neil:

Sorry that I didn't make myself clearer. I agree completely that just swinging a shinai will not "whip" it, unlike a foil.

Scoring in fencing is done when the foil or epee hits the opponent, & that is also where much of the whipping action occurs. Olympic-caliber fencers can certainly whip the foil tip around to touche on the back, while the rest of us must first contact the opponent, usually on the arm or shoulder to get the touche on the back.

At least there are no valid attack areas on the back in kendo!

Ken Goldstein
    Ken Goldstein

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

Talking Gyaku-doh, 1/2

Originally posted by gendzwil
    There's no "whip" to a shinai. It's doesn't bend in any detectable way from merely swinging it, like a foil will.
    Check out this gyaku-doh!
    David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

Likes (received)

Talking Gyaku-doh 2/2

Here's a repeat attempt!
    David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Wow!!!!

Consider me astonished & highly impressed!!!

I would have bet against that much deflection in even a broken shinai!!

Ken
    Ken Goldstein

Likes (received)

I'm unconvinced. I'd like to see a picture where they used a fast enough shutter to actually stop the motion.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

Yes, it's a trick of the camera, I think. Either that or he's using a very big banana to attack him.

Welcome, Ken! Say, were you always in Hawaii, because the fencing teacher at my high school in Michigan was a Dr. Goldstein or -stien.
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

G. Zepeda Guest

Does the gyaku-doh, go over the shoulder like that?
    I was taught never go over the shoulder, as it leaves the other side completely open.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast