Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A list of Japanese language study websites for everyone: Beginners to advanced

Likes (received)

Who is this Craig fellow and why is he using not only my screen handle, but tinkering with my beloved Nigerians to boot?
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Soulend View Post
    Who is this Craig fellow and why is he using not only my screen handle, but tinkering with my beloved Nigerians to boot?
    Hello David,

As brad 12 will probably tell you, the sounds g and k are Japanese linguistic variants. For example you have keri (kicking) and geri (diarrhea), the consequence being that mae-geri does not really mean a front kick.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Hi Peter. I wish Brad had been around ages ago...for years after I ran a across the term kesa-giri I was amazed that the feudal Japanese were so morally structured that even their garments had a sense of obligation. Turns out they simply enjoyed cutting people in half.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Smile Heh..

One possibility is to tell brad 12 that it is absolutely essential that he learns ancient Sumerian and cuneiform script before attempting to tell us how to learn Japanese. The advantage is that if he did learn Sumerian, he would be in a better position to understand the really ancient Japanese system that predated kanji and kana, by about 80,000 years, according to one source. This is all in the Takeuchi documents. Have you heard of these?
    .....Who told you about this?

There's been a leak somewhere dammit! It was Wayne wasn't it? Arggghhh...We're doomed!

Seriously though...If you look closely..In the Takeuchi Ryu Kogusoku kata "Sumashi Miru", the positions of the feet correspond to the sentence "God is great" in ancient Sumerian...It's stunningly well hidden though..And you need slow motion cameras to film from above the enbu floor to catch it all in it's full glory..But I didn't just tell you that...
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by fifthchamber View Post
    .....Who told you about this?

There's been a leak somewhere dammit! It was Wayne wasn't it? Arggghhh...We're doomed!

Seriously though...If you look closely..In the Takeuchi Ryu Kogusoku kata "Sumashi Miru", the positions of the feet correspond to the sentence "God is great" in ancient Sumerian...It's stunningly well hidden though..And you need slow motion cameras to film from above the enbu floor to catch it all in it's full glory..But I didn't just tell you that...

PS. I have just been reading Snow Crash.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

For JLPT and all other Japanese Language,there are so many website available ,but I will recommend this.

JLPT | Learn Japanese | Japanese Verbs
    [URL="http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/"]learn japanese[/URL] language free online :):):)

Likes (received)

Hello,

Since the websites you recommend all appear to be controlled and run by yourself, you cannot be taken as an impartial judge of their quality.

In fact, I would ban you on the grounds of commercial advertising, were it not for the fact that the courses you advertise are free. However, to avoid the very reasonable accusations of bias, which our members might make, how about walking the talk and showing us some real evidence of the practical efficacy of your courses.

To avoid the guillotine, how about using the target language and explaining in Japanese why your courses are better than the others.

Best wishes,

P Goldsbury

Quote Originally Posted by brad12 View Post
    For JLPT and all other Japanese Language,there are so many website available ,but I will recommend this.

JLPT | Learn Japanese | Japanese Verbs
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Default Bluff called?

Quote Originally Posted by P Goldsbury View Post
    To avoid the guillotine, how about using the target language and explaining in Japanese why your courses are better than the others.
    He, he. ^^

JL
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

hey Matt Molloy you can check also for http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/ thia website. It give all information under one podium .
    [URL="http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/"]learn japanese[/URL] language free online :):):)

Likes (received)

Enough is enough.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    Enough is enough.
    Yes, Mr John is taking a well-earned break.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Thank you Peter.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by P Goldsbury View Post
    Hello David,

As brad 12 will probably tell you, the sounds g and k are Japanese linguistic variants. For example you have keri (kicking) and geri (diarrhea), the consequence being that mae-geri does not really mean a front kick.
    Hi Mr. Goldbury,

What's that in kanji? Do the two(keri, geri) have the same or different kanji? I'm glad you translated. I'm not very used to romaji and can't often read it and know what their meanings are without their kanji/hiragana equivalent for recognition of the word's meaning. I know that sounds silly, but I've never even seen most Japanese words that I've learned, written in romaji. Romaji looks like a foreign language to me, lol. I can't read it 90 percent of the time. Kanji makes meanings so much more colorful I am noticing, the more kanji I learn. It's fascinating!

Thank you.

Kaoru
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoru View Post
    Hi Mr. Goldbury,

What's that in kanji? Do the two(keri, geri) have the same or different kanji? I'm glad you translated. I'm not very used to romaji and can't often read it and know what their meanings are without their kanji/hiragana equivalent for recognition of the word's meaning. I know that sounds silly, but I've never even seen most Japanese words that I've learned, written in romaji. Romaji looks like a foreign language to me, lol. I can't read it 90 percent of the time. Kanji makes meanings so much more colorful I am noticing, the more kanji I learn. It's fascinating!

Thank you.

Kaoru
    蹴る keru is the verb form 'kick' and 蹴り keri is the noun form. 下痢 geri (= diarrhea) does not have a verb form and you have to add suru or 起こす okosu.
    Last edited by P Goldsbury; 15th October 2010 at 05:23. Reason: Italics corrected
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoru View Post
    ...Do the two (keri, geri) have the same or different kanji?
    I'm not Peter, but if I can put in my 2 Yen's worth.

Unless I'm mistaken:

The kanji would be the same if both were refering to kicking, but would be different if refering to kicking and diarrhea, because kanji are ideographic.

The kana would be different in either case, because the kana are phonetic.

Kick is 蹴り
    Diarrhrea is 下痢

Keri is けり
    and geri is げり

[Edit: Well, he beat me to it while I was typing. I've got to learn to type faster.]
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 14th October 2010 at 09:29.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast