Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Weaponsconnection

Gene Williams Guest

Its got nothing to do with being humble...it has to do with responding to a smart !!! with a little reality.

Likes (received)

In the weaponsconnection page it says:

"Use and misuse of Martial Arts weapons involve serious risks, including injury, disability, and death. Weapons are sold for training purposes only. The practitioner should be under the direct supervision of a qualified expert for demonstration of forms, collection, or display. Inspect weapons before each use to ensure they are in proper condition. Do not use weapons for sparring or contact. Strict caution should be observed."

Do not use wapons for sparring or contact... is this referring to the risk of injuring someone or myself or the capability of the weapon? Anybody that knows?

What I am thinking of is Kobujutsu pre-arrenged-Kumite for example. In this there is lot of contact between Bo/Tonfa, Bo/Sai etc.. Do you know if the weapons on this page is intended for that kind of use? I thought so, I just wanted to hear your opinion in the matter. I know that no weapen is indestructible and the use of the weapon must be in a way it was designed for, but should I be concerned with build of the ex Tonfa? Or could I just keep training.. and training.. Kumite?

Patrik Weitko

n2shotokai Guest

Speaking of injury during use, was it in the 70's when the Bruce Lee flicks had everyone knocking themselves out with nunchaku. It seemed as though more gang bangers were swinging them in their front yards than kids doing the hoola hoop. WHACK ohhhhhh. Too funny.

Likes (received)

Now I have ordered a pair of Sai and Tonfa. I hope I will like them and got the measurements right.

So in about 9 weeks I will have them, when I have made me an opinion on them I will get back here and report.
    Patrik Weitko

Last four years have worked and lived in Germany and Greece
    Likes (received)

Default Standard vs Deluxe Sai

I don't know what is a standard vs deluxe pair of sai. There is a difference between stainless steel sai and rough iron sai. Stainless steel has been adopted for demonstrations as the audience can appreciate the speed of the sai as depicted in the light. They are not very effective in 'catching' a bo, for example, while the rough iron because the surface is not slippery smoothe are best for bunkai. Besides, one's opponent should not see the weapon and if seen, should not be able to estimate length and size...
    Katherine Loukopoulos
    Bubishi Karate Do Organization

Likes (received)

The Kanji of Sai is put together from the rightside radical "iron" plus "fork" This is very appropriate

I tried to post the the Kanji but somehow it did not work.
    çÞ‹à?³
    Best regards

Andreas Quast

We are Pope!

Likes (received)

Thumbs up At last!

Finally my Sai and Tonfa are here!!!

I was worried about the lengths of the weapon since measurements can be tricky when ordering like this. The Tonfa is a tiny bit to short, but the grip couldnt suite me better. And the length of the sai is PERFECT! As comparing to Shureido they are a bit heavier but not much and I suppose I will get used to it.

Overall I am very pleased!!!
    Patrik Weitko

Likes (received)

Which sai did you get?9/16 or 5/8? what about handle wrapping? Shiny or natural finish? Tempered for throwing? What style of tonfa did you get? What wood are they made of?Which way are the handles tapered if at all?How did they measure you for them as far as hand size and arm legnth?I have purchased many Shureido and Crane Mountain weapons but have not yet tried Weapons connection.I may try a set of their sai someday when my finances are right but I am spoiled on Crane Mountain tonfa for sure,they are a tough act to follow. Tom Hodges

Likes (received)

Originally posted by harleyt26
    Which sai did you get?9/16 or 5/8? what about handle wrapping? Shiny or natural finish? Tempered for throwing? What style of tonfa did you get? What wood are they made of?Which way are the handles tapered if at all?How did they measure you for them as far as hand size and arm legnth?I have purchased many Shureido and Crane Mountain weapons but have not yet tried Weapons connection.I may try a set of their sai someday when my finances are right but I am spoiled on Crane Mountain tonfa for sure,they are a tough act to follow. Tom Hodges
    I really dont know if it was 9/16 or 5/8. But it was his standard Hardened high carbon steel Sai of Agena. Natural finish. I bought the Hamahiga Tonfa (the cheapest). I think they are made out of Bubinga, but I am not really sure. On his site he has a description of how to measure. I didnt really trust that so I measured with my old sai ant tonfa and estimated the length I should have. And the Sai got perfect, I mean REALLY perfect! Tho Tonfa however I noticed was delivered shorter then I ordered and I have written to Mr Carbone about this. And the handle wrapping is optional, I didnt recieve any on mine. Tomorrow I will wrap them myself in black colour.

I will take some pictures some day soon. If you put aside the delivery-time which I found very long (because they are handmade) and the wrong length of Tonfa I am still very pleased. The weapons are the best I have found yet! However I have not tryed Crane Mountain.
    Patrik Weitko

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Tom,

I second that about Crane Mountain. Pam is great and the quality and work is really outstanding.

regards,

Mike Mitchell

Likes (received)

About my Tonfa that got a bit to short.. I have now spoken to Mr Carbone and has offered my a new pair. He seems like a most generous and kind man, not that I have ever met him. Since I am very pleased with my new Sai I have decided to order his Stainless heat treated Sai - Standard.

To be continued...
    Patrik Weitko

Likes (received)

I'm with Crane Mountain also. I've been ordering their stuff for about four years now and have not had a complaint about anything. Bo, Tonfa, Ekku, Nunchaku ... thumbs up to all.

Robby Bray
    Robby

Ryu Kyu Kobudo

Practice 100 Train 1000

Likes (received)

Default Murasaki Kobudo

I have had good dealings with both Mr. Carbone and Crane Mountain.
    I have to admit that I have come to replace my weapones with the ones from Murasaki Kobudo.

The focus tend to be on lighter and faster, and the people are also easy to work with.

Joe
    Joe Stitz

"Black belt and white belt are the same, white belt is the beginning of technique. Black belt is the beginning of understanding. Both are beginner belts."
    - Doug Perry -Hanshi, KuDan -Shorin Ryu ShorinKan

Likes (received)

Post Murasaki Kobudo

Hi everyone,
    I just viewed the website and I would like to make the following observation:
    In the list of the weapons sold the oar is listed as 'AEKU'and I wondered if that was an American pronunciation. The Okinawan pronunciation is 'EIKU'. I also noticed that 'TONFA' was sold. In order to be consistent, if you are selling 'TONFA' then, you would like to say 'KAY' because 'TONFA' is the Japanese pronunciation and 'KAI' is also Japanene for oar. If, however, you would like to use the Okinawan pronunciation for 'TONFA' it is 'TUNFA' or 'TUIFA' or 'TUIFU' but most popularly used 'TUNFA'. In that case, you would way 'EIKU'. There is no 'AEKU' because the Japanese vowels are clearly pronounced and in the 14 years there I have not heard 'AEKU' pronounced by Okinawan practitioners.
    By the way, Eiku is the weapon I most frequently demonstrated on Okinawa, so I can make this correction with a good amount of confidence. Okinawan teachers are very meticulous in details when it comes to Kata techniques and Kata names. I would have been corrected.
    Mr. Bill Hayes is a dedicated practitioner. I had the good fortune to know him personally in the United States and on Okinawa. I'm taking this opportunity to send him my regards via this post...
    Katherine Loukopoulos

Likes (received)

Post Murasaki Kobudo

Hi everyone,
    I made a mistake also.
    'KAI' is what I intended to type NOT 'KAY'.
    I guess that is what happened to 'AEKU' instead of 'EIKU'

How many push-ups?
    Katherine Loukopoulos

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast