Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why are Sumo wrestlers fat?

Shin Buke Guest

Default Why are Sumo wrestlers fat?

This is something that just popped into my head. Keep in mind I know pretty much nothing about Sumo. To me, Sumo involves very large men leaning on each other and grabbing each others' g-strings until one of them gets tossed out of the ring. ^_~

The Japanese have such a deep martial cutlure that has created some excellent systems. Many of these systems focus on amplifying strength through leverage and/or were created to allow smaller, perhaps weaker opponents to defeat much larger and stronger opponents. Because of this, it baffles me as to why the Japanese developed a system whereby it's practitioners seek to gain new and obscene levels of body mass perceivably to gain an advantage over their opponents. Why did they do this?

I'm probably missing something that the rest of you who are knowledgable about Sumo are aware of. Is there some history behind Sumo that explains this? Or perhaps it was something religious?

In any case, your information is much appreciated. ^_^

Likes (received)

"Why are Sumo wrestlers fat?"

If addressed to a Sumo wrestler face to face, and depending on the tone of voice, I think that this could possibly be the bravest question I have ever heard.

Cheers,

Matt.

Shin Buke Guest

ROFL!

Likes (received)

I wouldn't call them fat, I would call them chubby.

Likes (received)

Okay, they're fat!

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Matt Molloy
    [B]"Why are Sumo wrestlers fat?"

If addressed to a Sumo wrestler face to face, and depending on the tone of voice, I think that this could possibly be the bravest question I have ever heard. [B]

I agree to that..

//Marko
    With regards,

Marko Härkönen
    Aikido Helsingborg - Sweden

Kenseii Guest

They're not fat. They're big boned.

Beefcake!!

Seriouusly I understand the question. Although advantageous to adegree, surly massiv levels of muscle gain (WWE wrestler style) would better serve them (greater power-mas ratio, and more agility).

I imagine that since Sumo was around before the days of anabolic steroids and the like that it was the only way for the "relatively" small japanese to get an advantage over their opponents, an has since become a tradition (wea ll know how fixed Japanese traditions can be in the martial arts.)

Likes (received)

I think it's just a function of the rules.

There are plenty of techniques that rely on kuzushi, and redirection of energy - but all other things being equal, it pays to have a low centre of gravity. (Tall judoka who have to fight shorter, stocky guys will know what I mean).

Sumotori have become much bigger over the years: if you see old footage from the 50s or 60s, some of those dudes are almost svelte. But in the absence of weight categories, it just makes sense to even out the playing field by piling on the pounds.

Where this cycle will end, who knows?
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Default SIZE

Because it is easily to gain weight quickly that way as opposed to taking vitamin S like WWE wrestlers do.

Likes (received)

Default Fat or Muscle?

Sumo Wrestlers are not fat.
    They are big, but most of the mass is actually muscle. Most of the Sumotori have a lower percentage of body fat than the average Japanese Salaryman, and they`re a lot slimmer than your average American. It`s just not the ultra-toned, body builder type muscle.

2 reasons, first different body shape, a low centre of gravity is required so a pear shape is better than an upside down triangle, and secondly charging head on into a 200kg opponent requires a certain softness and flexibility, no grid-iron padding allowed here. Most bodybuilder types would simply snap.

As an aside, I think the current size of wrestlers has a lot to do with the foriegners in the game. Kinishiki, Akebono and Musashimaru were giants, and the Japanese had to get bigger to compete. Kokai looks like heading down the same route. Luckily with more Mongolian wrestlers in the sport your seeing a return to skill over size. Hopefully the Japanese will realise this.

Try to look beyond the size and appreciate sumo for what it is, a truly great combat sport.

Eynon Phillips

Likes (received)

Default Re: Fat or Muscle?

Originally posted by Ien
    Sumo Wrestlers are not fat.
    2 reasons, first different body shape, a low centre of gravity is required so a pear shape is better than an upside down triangle, and secondly charging head on into a 200kg opponent requires a certain softness and flexibility, no grid-iron padding allowed here. Most bodybuilder types would simply snap.
    I seriously doubt that WWE guys would just snap. Given it is sports entertainment but those just do go through a lot of punishment for the show. I just cannot stand it. And yes by BMI Sumotori are fat. Lots of muscle too. I used to work out with some Sumotori in a gym in Ryogoku and though they are not blubbery fat they are fat more like gristle.

Jade Guest

I don't know much about Sumo (though I enjoy watching it). But it seems logical to me that a heavier guy would be harder to push/throw/lift out of the ring. Simply more mass to move. I'm sure the sumotori build their muscles as much as possible, but if you can then throw on another X kilos of fat, you're just that much harder to move.

Does that make sense?

Likes (received)

Default Chiyonofuji

The picture is a good example of a more streamed lined Sumo. The rules in sumo do not permit you to engage your opponent like in a Judo match. The initial impact of the two flying masses is usually what determines the outcome of the match. Sumos impact harder than any other sport. They hit harder than NFL football players. The center of gravity, due to the weight distribution on a sumos body, is thought to be more square. Imagine a Tipi(plains Indian tent-like structure)- A sumo would a tipi set up correctly; wide base and a narrow top. If you take the base of the tipi, move the poles closer to the center at the base, this would create less balance.
    Sumo has a pear shaped torso as a bodybuilder has a v-shaped torso. The V-shape gives you less mass the closer to the center of gravity you get. Like a toy top has the least amount of mass toward the bottom allowing for it to be toppled over easily.
    The photo is of Yokozuna(retired) Chiyonofuji. He's less fat, than many sumos were, allowing him to be quicker.
    David Carlton
    "It was swim, or else" -Duke

Mekugi Guest

Default Soup and Fish types...

There are two common "body classes" of O'sumo san: "soup" type and "fish" type they call them (not unlike the "Raccoon Dog" type and "Fox" type used to describe women's faces). "Soup" type are generally leaner than the "Fish Type"- both based on the shapes of the meat you find in their most delicious chanko nabe (if you ever get to visit a stable, do hope they serve you Chanko). Soup types are named after the chicken used to make the broth in the Chanko, fish types are named after the plump fish that are put in (ohh....so tasty).

Either way we're talking about a dysplastic somatype of endomorph and mesomorph, which are thick, generally sinewy and extremely strong, when it comes down to it.

Take Asashoryu ("Morning Blue Dragon" pictured below - who had his first lose in a while recently) from Mongolia...not unlike Chiyonofuji ("Thousand Generations Fuji", who is now an Oyakata). He is definitely a meso-endo somatype.
    Last edited by Mekugi; 14th July 2004 at 17:21.

Likes (received)

Default Re: Chiyonofuji

Originally posted by Carlton
    The photo is of Yokozuna(retired) Chiyonofuji. He's less fat, than many sumos were, allowing him to be quicker.
    I first started watching sumo when Chyonofuji was at his peak. He was always awesome to watch. Being small (for a sumotori), he used great technique, kuzushi, maai etc. to win his bouts. Either that, or he would just stare people down and intimidate the hell out of them. Pure focused intensity. Fantastic stuff, and we'll not see his like again.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast