Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Free sparring and tournaments in JJJ

Likes (received)

Default Free sparring and tournaments in JJJ

This has almost surely been already brought up, but for any newbies like me, how much sparring is in JJJ generally?

I have spoken with a blackbelt in JJJ who was on the Canadian team, and he obviously trains at a school with alot of sparring.

THe sparring was along the lines of how the competition rules went. There was point sparring on the feet, takedowns and groundwork (with submissions). There is time restrictions on the amount of time one has on the ground and in the clinch(looking for a takedown) and the training reflects this. More focus is on the stand up portion in training, but they do train and spar in takedowns and groundwork.

Are most JJJ schools like this? I am interested in knowing.

MarkF Guest

In other words; Kodokan Judo. Most modern, generic jujutsu is played along the lines of judo. It is called randori which is the closest thing to "sparring."

Mark

Likes (received)

That sounds like sports jiu jitsu, were you talking with someone from Milton?
    Cris Anderson

All my best ideas were stolen by the Ancients.

Likes (received)

I was talking with some one from Kitchener.

It is not Judo. Like I said, you are point sparring on your feet, have some thing like 10 seconds in the clinch to take your opponent down, and another 20 seconds on the ground to put on a sub.

Likes (received)

An awful lot of JJJ clubs practise sports jujutsu, which is basically a blend of judo and semi-contact karate.

I'm not a huge fan of the rules, but the training is fun, and it can be a good stepping stone on the way to more serious full-contact or MMA competition.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Agreed Mike. It can help blend striking with grappling. You must be mindful of getting taken down when striking, and be mindful of getting tagged when going for a takedown.

It may be more focused on striking due to the rules (I also would change a few things in the rules), but still is a rounded blend different than sport Judo or sport BJJ or sport TWD/Karate (it is kind of a mix which is cool, and like you said a stepping stone for mixed martial arts).

Likes (received)

Wink It's all good

Our school trains for the USJJF. The stand up game is very similar to WKF karate sparring, are far as what scores. The take downs and ground work are straight Judo base skills.
    Our players have done pretty well.

http://www.usjujitsu.net/news/nation...3/DCP_0716.JPG

http://www.usjujitsu.net/news/nationals2003/index.htm

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Aloha,

Most traditional Japanese jujutsu ryuha do not practice randori. A lot of guys have started out in judo, thereby having a good foundation in randori training before they start jujutsu. Some dojos will practice randori on their own if enough guys are up for it.

If you practice jujutsu, judo will be a good complement. If you practice judo, jujutsu will be a good complement. Both have different training methods that have their own advantages and disadvantages.
    Regards,
    Joel

Isaiah 6:8