Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Goldberg (from wrestling) a JJJ Blackbelt

Likes (received)

Exclamation Goldberg (from wrestling) a JJJ Blackbelt

Just found out Bill GOldberg, from wrestling fame, is a JJJ blackbelt, and is considering entering in MMA!

I hear he has been cross training for some time. I believe JJJ is his base style however.

Depending on how they market and advertise Goldberg (if they mention his JJJ background and use it as credibility in him fighting in MMA) this could be good publicity for Jujitsu.

He doesn't have a blackbelt in anything else, and I can see them mentioning his martial arts background when/if he fights.

Is this a good thing or bad thing for JJJ?

Mekugi Guest

Default Re: Goldberg (from wrestling) a JJJ Blackbelt

Sorry to ask, but my acronym dictionary is out of date, what is JJJ?

Goldberg would be perfect for MMA.

Regarding whatever he trained in previously, I doubt that will bring little fame to it. The reason I say that is namely because he is a big name in wrestling entertainment and that will shadow anything he does.
    http://www.billgoldberg.com/

However, I would like to see the prowrasslers join in the fun in MMA like they do in Japan. It gives them a chance to show people what they are "really made of" when it comes down to it.

Originally posted by 6 Pack
    Just found out Bill GOldberg, from wrestling fame, is a JJJ blackbelt, and is considering entering in MMA!

I hear he has been cross training for some time. I believe JJJ is his base style however.

Depending on how they market and advertise Goldberg (if they mention his JJJ background and use it as credibility in him fighting in MMA) this could be good publicity for Jujitsu.

He doesn't have a blackbelt in anything else, and I can see them mentioning his martial arts background when/if he fights.

Is this a good thing or bad thing for JJJ?
    Last edited by Mekugi; 16th July 2004 at 01:57.

Likes (received)

JJJ=Japanese JuJitsu (as oppose to BJJ= Brazilian Jui-Jitsu)

You make a good point about his pro-wrestling overshadowing his previous training. BUt having JJ mentioned can't hurt.

ShoBushido Guest

It gives them a chance to show people what they are "really made of" when it comes down to it.
    It'd be interesting, but the numbers of broken bones, tears and serious injuries pro wrestlers go through tells me plenty about what they are really made of. Plus, Goldberg's wrestling career in the U.S. is pretty much over, so why not MMA? He's been talking about it for some time.

But I wouldn't look for too many big named guys in wrestling to risk their health (more than they already do) and their reputations by doing full contact competitions. It just doesn't make economic sense when you look at the salaries they are bringing in. Plus, they'd have to share a cut with their wrestling company if they competed under the same name--assuming they would ever get permission.

Likes (received)

There has been a few pro-wresters (from WWE) that have competed in MMA. Bam Bam Biggalo and Ludwig Borga tried MMA after their wrestling careers were over (or at least there time at the top was over).