Special Exhibition: Hawai`i Karate Roots

Opening reception by invitation: Friday, April 22, 2005
Open to the general public: Saturday, April 23 through Friday, May 20, 2005

Admission: Free

Presented by: Hawaii Karate Museum

Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii Community Gallery (ground floor next to the Kenshikan Dojo):

2454 South Beretania Street
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96826

Telephone: (808) 945-7633
Fax: (808) 944-1123
Email : info@jcch.com

The art of karate (China Hand) arrived in Hawai`i in 1900, with the first Okinawan immigrants aboard the S.S. City of China. Small karate groups were soon formed in Okinawan camps and communities from Hilo to Waipahu to Kekaha. Taught privately in homes and backyards, karate was considered to be a "secret" art of Okinawan self-defense. Some of the Issei karate experts included Chinzen Kinjo, Seio Morikone, Seichi Urasaki, Chonin Sanra Arakaki, Watoku Higa, Kizo Teruya, and Shuichi Agena.

In the 1920s and 30s several karate masters visited Hawai`i and encouraged the growth of the art here. These included Kentsu ("Gunso") Yabu, Choki ("Saru") Motobu, Mizuho Mutsu, Kamesuke Higashionna and Chojun Miyagi. Under their guidance and with the support of local Japanese newspapers, doctors and business people, the Hawai`i Karate Seinenkai (Youth Group) was formed, headed by Seishin Uehara and Thomas Shigeru Miyashiro.

World War II interrupted the growth of karate. However, the Kenpo Karate school of Masayoshi James Mitose (assisted by Thomas Young and William Chow), which taught many non-Japanese, flourished during these turbulent times. After the War, soldiers and civilian workers returning from Japan, brought back karate with them. These included Richard Kim, Mitsugi Kobayashi, Carleton Shimomi and Kenneth Murakami. Some Hawai`i karate enthusiasts, such as Masaichi Oshiro, Walter Nishioka, Tommy Morita and Pat Nakata, also traveled to Japan to broaden their knowledge.

Hawai`i students also brought their teachers to the islands for extended visits. Some of these included Mas Oyama, Akio Nozoe, Tsuyoshi Chitose, Kanki Izumigawa, Hironori Ohsuka, Gogen Yamaguchi and Shoshin Nagamine. Several teachers from Japan, such as Kiyoshi Aihara, Chuzo Kotaka and Kiyohisa Hirano, moved permanently to Hawai`i, and established schools here. Other early local teachers included Tomu Arakawa, Bobby Lowe, Jimmy Miyaji, Winfred Ho, Takamasa Bingo, Kenneth Funakoshi, and Zenko Heshiki.

Today, karate is practiced by people of all races and ages. Based on a message of peace and characterized by the expression "Karate ni sente nashi" (there is no first attack in karate), karate is much more than self-defense -- it is a way to develop self-discipline, improve one's health, and polish one's character. It is also a window to the Okinawan and Japanese cultures.

Please come and share the rich history and traditions of karate in Hawai`i.For more information, and if you have items to contribute to the Exhibition, please contact:

Charles C. Goodin
Hawaii Karate Museum
98-211 Pali Momi Street #640
Aiea, Hawai`i 96701