Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Japanese hate foreign workers

Joshua Smith Guest

Originally posted by Soulend
    For the most part, the Japanese were always very nice to me each time I have been there. About the only manifestation I saw were the restaurants and bars where gaijin were not allowed. And sometimes it seems to depend on the gaijin for whatever reason. For instance, I went into one place and noone said a word, but my buddy behind me got the old crossed forearms treatment. Got a little story from the latest trip though.

Tony (Kimpatsu) and I were eating in a little resturant in Hiroshima when an older Japanese man came in and muttered something to the effect that he 'didn't like lousy foreigners in there' to the waitress. Tony heard this and mentioned it to me. At first I was a bit angry, but after awhile I hit on an idea just to see how he would react, and to subtly let him know that we knew what he said. We called the waitress over and asked her to take a beer to him, and to put it on our bill.

She came back and told us that he said he doesn't drink alcohol - despite the fact that he plainly had a beer in front of him already which he had been drinking!

So, I let a bit of time elapse and bought a beer which I personally carried over to him, and delivered with a bow. He seemed very embarrassed (which I enjoyed immensely) and did not refuse it this time, and later brought some sake over to us and was very friendly.

Most of the time it seems like this. Little snotty remarks, which quickly vanish when you confront the person personally.

Japan is very different, as Hyaku says they are going to do things precisely as they wish. If you go to Japan as a tourist you will probably have a wonderful time and encounter very little of racism. They will be overwhelmingly polite and accomodating, realizing that you will be getting out of their country and going home soon. For an ex-pat who lives and works in Japan it is a different story.
    Thanks Soulend. That's all I wanted to hear.

Hyaku, be careful how you word things! If you address a message to someone saying "The Japan you love to hate and hate to love", what do you think they'll percieve, as I did? I understand your message now. Thank you for clearing that up.

Choji screens. Of course! With some uchiko covered walls, mekugi hammers for art deco., etc.! Yeah sorry I meant Shoji Screens!

God bless,
    Joshua Smith

Likes (received)

Joshua,

[back on tangent]
    Your visit to Japan will be great and you will enjoy yourself. All this talk about racism and xenophobia is true -- but you probably won't see any of it (unless you go to some bars). Usually only the long-term "furriners" are the focus of racism/prejudice ... and they are aware since they have some facility with the language.

By the way, don't go in the summer. I just came back from Tokyo and the weather was a killer 100* F for three weeks -- topping out at 104*F. Well, it really was unusual weather, usually in the mid 80s as I recall. Oh, and carry an umbrella between July and August. Err, unless you go to Hokkaido where the weather is wonderfully cooler and dryer than the other islands. You will be treated kindly and will be amazed at how well you can get around as a tourist. Although many Japanese study English in school and go to cram school, they are often reluctant to speak English (ergo the need for the Pink Bunny). However, you'll find that many can understand written English much better. Remember to speak clearly (and write clearly). Things will be fine.

Regards,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Dear Moderator,

I do not *really* mind having my much longer post edited. HOWEVER!!! I would appreciate an editorial note inserted stating something to the effect [Edited by Moderator].

Regards,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Guy,

Sorry, I did edit the thread, but I copied all of the posts that were edited and moved them to the appropriate forum. We have a new forum for sex, politics, and religion. See this post http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=26653
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Great lets talk about Budo. Mr Smith I am sure everyone here would be interested to here your opinions on that.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Joshua Smith Guest

Originally posted by hyaku
    Great lets talk about Budo. Mr Smith I am sure everyone here would be interested to here your opinions on that.
    We'll talk about Budo in the appropriate Forum/thread. You've all completely distorted poor Silent Dan's thread into talk on religion and who knows what else due to ignorance and paranoia.

Frankly Hyaku, cut the crap. I don't want to get into an online argument with an avatar. If you don't have anything to say regarding Dan's thread, don't post it. I don't know why you're on some *online vendetta* against me and my religion, but it's time to stop and get on with your life, pal. Take care.

God bless,
    Joshua Smith

Kimpatsu Guest

Given that this is e-budo, every forum is appropriate for the discussion of budo, wouldn't you think? Duh!

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Joshua Smith
    We'll talk about Budo in the appropriate Forum/thread. You've all completely distorted poor Silent Dan's thread into talk on religion and who knows what else due to ignorance and paranoia.

Frankly Hyaku, cut the crap. I don't want to get into an online argument with an avatar. If you don't have anything to say regarding Dan's thread, don't post it. I don't know why you're on some *online vendetta* against me and my religion, but it's time to stop and get on with your life, pal. Take care.

God bless,
    Joshua Smith
    Well I had lots to say until you stuck your uninformed nose in. Anyway thanks for the excellent online warning.

Nomaku sanmanda bobonan onma rishie sowaka.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Joshua Smith Guest

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    Given that this is e-budo, every forum is appropriate for the discussion of budo, wouldn't you think? Duh!
    What's the title of the thread Kimpatsu? What does Budo have to do with this thread? Duh!! It's like I'm talking to teenagers going through their *phase*...

Nomaku sanmanda bobonan onma rishie sowaka.
    Don't have the guts or the class to tell me what you're thinking Hyaku? Hmmm...I guess I really I am talking to children.

God bless,
    Joshua Smith

Likes (received)

I think it's time for this thread to be closed. Discussions of religion and politics have their own forum, and you're invited to resume the name-calling over there.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5