Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anybody know of an online Japanese martial arts dictionary?

Likes (received)

Default Anybody know of an online Japanese martial arts dictionary?

I've found a ton of second-rate Japanese martial arts dictionaries/glossaries online, but nothing that is accurate and comprehensive and which has both romaji and kanji (kana would also be nice). Anybody know if such a thing exists and, if so, where? I'm looking for something academic or at least quasi-academic, put together by someone who is fluent in Japanese as well as being proficient and experienced in the Japanese martial arts (as opposed to the dime-a-dozen ones every dojo's webpage has, most which are full of errors). Again, having the kanji and being specific to just the martial arts is critical.

Towards this goal, the closest thing I've found is this Japanese Martial Arts Character Dictionary. Assuming I can't find anything online and hence free, anybody know if this is worth the $60 (and even legit!)?

Thanks in advance.
    Jonathan Dirrenberger
    Stanford Jujitsu Club

Likes (received)

Smile

Hi!

Please check out my thread I just bumped up. If you just go through the links listed in all the posts, you'll find quite a few dictionaries online. In the second post, there is a link to a page with many sites on it. There are quite a few dictionaries online there, if you just do some hunting. Just keep clicking on links on that site and you'll find a ton of stuff. I have a small dictionary listed at the end of my first post. It has Hiragana, romaji, and I think kanji too. I forgot. Sorry.

Also, some other people posted other online dictionaries in their posts. I hope this helps!

I just read your post again. I see what you wanted. I think I misread it the first time. Sorry about that. But, try all these anyway. They might be of some help. If not, maybe someone else can find something better.
    Carolyn Hall

oshirizaru Guest

Default Try this one

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html

That one appears to be pretty decent.

--
    Mark Hughes

Likes (received)

Thanks for the replies guys. However, those are links for the Japanese language in general. In fact, I know of Jim Breen's and it's an excellent resource for general Japanese words. This is acutally where I've been getting most of my information so far. However, it's not a martial arts specific dictionary, which makes it cumbersome to use and overwhelms me with way more info than I need. Plus, many terms are not in there (e.g, shotei, keito, etc.) and some words from the martial arts I only know in their romaji form and hence don't know which kanji is the right one. I'm looking for something that is of the quality of Jim Breen's dictionary, but specific to the martial arts, which means it includes some of the words unique to martial arts (with kanji as well).

Any more suggestions?

Thanks again.
    Jonathan Dirrenberger
    Stanford Jujitsu Club

oshirizaru Guest

well, if you do find one, please let me know!

many martial arts use different terminology, so you may find something useful, but that totally relates to an art that you do not study (hence different "lingo", relational terms, and philosophical phrases).

good luck! I'll keep my eye out!

--
    Mark Hughes

Likes (received)

You would be better off looking for a list of terms related to your art and style, the terms and their interpretation tend to vary wildly.
    Leon Appleby (Tokyo Ouji)
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを
    SK Blog at http://www.leonjp.com

Likes (received)

Koryu.com glossary. Not exactly a martial arts dictionary, but it may be useful. Kanji included.
    --Leonardo Boiko

Likes (received)

Koryu.com glossary. Not exactly a martial arts dictionary, but it may be useful. Kanji included.
    Yes, this is the kind of thing I'm looking for, but like you said, it's not exactly a martial arts dictionary. So close .....
    Jonathan Dirrenberger
    Stanford Jujitsu Club

Likes (received)

This is what you want. The only martial arts dictionary with kanji translations for BOTH english-japanese AND japanese-english.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sALeW4VV4xP89g