Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Links & FAQs for RUMA Forum

Likes (received)

Thumbs up Uechi-ryu (main line and off-shoots)\Shorin-ryu (main line and off-shoots)

http://members.fortunecity.com/okinawa_karate/

"This page is owned and maintained on Okinawa by the UechiRyu Zankai, an association dedicated to preserving Old-Style UechiRyu KarateDo as taught by its Founder, UECHI Kanbun Sensei. The Owner and President of the UechiRyu Zankai is TOYAMA Seiko Sensei, Hanshi Kyudan, of the Zakimi Shubukan, Yomitan Okinawa."

http://www.shorinryushorinkan.com/

"Welcome to the web site of the Sensei Doug Perry's Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Shorinkan Karate and Kobudo Dojo."
    Joe Stitz

"Black belt and white belt are the same, white belt is the beginning of technique. Black belt is the beginning of understanding. Both are beginner belts."
    - Doug Perry -Hanshi, KuDan -Shorin Ryu ShorinKan

macvsog Guest

Ok this is for all the experts out here in e budo i came across these pictures in a closet at a civic center that i volunteer at and these was from a class that was held there in the early 80's.

See if you all know who they are, i know i dont know who they are but maybe somebody out here will know.

macvsog Guest

here is another one for you all to rack your brains with

Gene Williams Guest

Hi, This one is Shoshin Nagamine of Matsubayashi Shorin ryu. He wrote "The Essence of Okinawan Karate-do", a great book. Gene

Likes (received)

Default Takayoshi Nagamine

Originally posted by macvsog
    Ok this is for all the experts out here in e budo i came across these pictures in a closet at a civic center that i volunteer at and these was from a class that was held there in the early 80's.

See if you all know who they are, i know i dont know who they are but maybe somebody out here will know.
    Takayoshi Nagamine
    Doug Daulton

Likes (received)

Default Shoshin Nagamine

Originally posted by macvsog
    here is another one for you all to rack your brains with
    Shoshin Nagamine
    Doug Daulton

Gene Williams Guest

Default Shito-ryu

Hi Doug, I notice that Shito-ryu is never listed among major Okinawan ryu. I am curious as to why that is? I know that when Mabuni moved to Osaka, Shito-ryu kind of exploded there and is often mistakenly thought of as a Japanese ryu, which it definitely is not. There are still several different branches of Shito-ryu in Okinawa. I've been in Shito-ryu for 30 years and have never heard it referred to as anything other than Okinawan. On the other hand, when you ask a Japanese what are the major styles in Japan, you usually hear, Shotokan, Wado,Shito-ryu, and Goju-ryu. Only the first two are really Japanese. Help me out here. Thanks. Gene

Likes (received)

Thumbs up Kobayashi-ryu

www.ihadojo.com

Iha Sensei is the North American representitive
    for Miyahira's ShiDo Kan dojo. Miyahira and Nakazato
    Sensei were both students of Chibana.
    Ray Baldonade
    Chibana-ha Shorin-ryu

"Love many, trust few and do wrong to none". Chan Yau-man

Likes (received)

Default Re: Shito-ryu

Originally posted by Gene Williams
    Hi Doug, I notice that Shito-ryu is never listed among major Okinawan ryu. I am curious as to why that is? I know that when Mabuni moved to Osaka, Shito-ryu kind of exploded there and is often mistakenly thought of as a Japanese ryu, which it definitely is not. There are still several different branches of Shito-ryu in Okinawa. I've been in Shito-ryu for 30 years and have never heard it referred to as anything other than Okinawan. On the other hand, when you ask a Japanese what are the major styles in Japan, you usually hear, Shotokan, Wado,Shito-ryu, and Goju-ryu. Only the first two are really Japanese. Help me out here. Thanks. Gene
    Mr. Williams,

That is a good question. I would assume Shito-ryu is generally considered a Japanese ryuha because most of the well-known proponents ... Sakagami Ryusho, Demura Fumio, Hayashi Teruo... are Japanese. And, like Shotokan (also derived from an Okinawan source) most Shito-ryu has adapted a more Japanese teaching method and general form (longer stances, broader more open kamae).

Couple those factors with the fact that most of Shito-ryu's Western practitioners are students of mainland Japanese teachers ... who in my experience and with all due respect, generally refer to all things Okinawan as Japanese ... and on the world stage, Shito-ryu is Japanese, not Okinawan.

So there is my two yen. I hope nothing I said came across as brusque or disrespectful, as that is certainly not my intent. Over the years, I have trained and competed against many students of Hayashi-ha Shito-ryu and have great respect for that school. In addition, Demura Sensei and his student Bill Stoner Sensei used to help out with a fundraiser we held in Cincinnati every year. Both men are outstanding teachers, practitioners and genuinely nice fellows in my experience.

Regards,

Doug Daulton

PS: It would be interesting to know of the many Shito-ryu schools on Okinawa, how many are shibu (branch) dojo of an Okinawan Shito-ryu line and how many are shibu of a Japanese line.

Gene Williams Guest

Hi Doug, Bill Stoner is a friend of mine, though I haven't seen him in about 6 years. I used to train in his dojo when I travelled to see my in laws in New Castle. We are not of the Demura line...they do the Heian kata as well as the Pinan, which I see as very caving in to Japanese. I'm going to research the question about the Okinawan branches because that is a good question. I trained under a man named Kota Higioshi to begin with back in the late sixties/early seventies. He was from around Osaka and studied with one of Mabuni's shihan. He always spoke of Shito-ryu as Okinawan. The rest of my training has been with seniors of Shogo Kuniba and I have trained with him at several camps and clinics over the years. He also referred to Shito ryu as Okinawan, and even called his branch Motobu-ha Shito-ryu. We do no Japanese kata, no kokutsu dachi, form the Okinawan old style fist, and do the Naha kata with the old breathing. There is a Matsubayashi Shorin school near us, and we do the kata almost identically. Kuniba trained with Nagamine some, too. I remember Billy Stoner saying how different we were although we mostly did the same kata. Interesting. I really do think Mabuni's move to Osaka and the growth of Shito-ryu there led to the perception that it is Japanese. Secret: it really isn't,shhhhhh! Thanks, Gene

macvsog Guest

Here is another item i found while cleaning out a store room. anyone know what it means

macvsog Guest

here is the other side of the book

macvsog Guest

heres a cover of the other book i found what is it and whats it for

macvsog Guest

ok last one for you to tell me what it is ive got here. inside of the books are all in kanji

macvsog Guest

Has anyone been able to decipher the book covers ive posted yet

Mac Vincent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast