Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Kanji Help

Tristan Guest

Default Need Kanji Help

~~
    Hello all! I'm trying to get a Kanji description of a phrase. I'm trying to convey the phrase "Freedom of Thought". If you're curious, I need it for a tatoo. I realize it may not translate directly, but I just want to convey the idea. Any help would be much appreciated.
    ~~

Likes (received)

?¸?_”–ŽãŽ™

This is close. If your browser can read it.
    Last edited by Saburo; 13th August 2004 at 04:02.
    Saburo Kitazono

Likes (received)

Just curious - but if you just want to convey the thought, then why not convey it exactly as you are thinking (in your native language) and that way be sure that it has exactly the connotations that you want it to have. I would never permenently incribe a word on to my body from a language I was not fluent in.... just doesn't seem to make sense to me. So, my question, is why do you need it in kanji for you tattoo?

(btw, I am not trying to discourage you from getting a tattoo - I have one myself, I am just curious to what your thought process is)
    - Michael Bland

Likes (received)

By the way, I would stay away from putting what Saburo wrote on your body. Best translation I would have for what he suggested is "mentally retarded child". Which again just shows it might not be the best idea to get somethin inked on you permanently if you don't fully understand the language it is inked in. Just a thought.
    - Michael Bland

Likes (received)

Now THAT is a lesson!

I do hope that the next post from Tristan isn't the one asking about "laser removal of tattoos..."
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

By the way, I would stay away from putting what Saburo wrote on your body. Best translation I would have for what he suggested is "mentally retarded child". Which again just shows it might not be the best idea to get somethin inked on you permanently if you don't fully understand the language it is inked in. Just a thought.
    You ãè–å !

You should get the tatoo in pictures or symbols. Like Yakuza do.
    Saburo Kitazono

Tristan Guest

Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
    Now THAT is a lesson!

I do hope that the next post from Tristan isn't the one asking about "laser removal of tattoos..."
    ~~
    Heh, not to worry. Anything I find in japanese I cross-reference in numerous ways to make sure it's correct. And I could do it in English, but kanji just look a whole lot better.
    ~~

Likes (received)

Saburo - I never heard anyone call anyone a "ãè–å" before in Japan. I'm curious what your background is - Do you speak Japanese or are you using a dictionary?
    - Michael Bland

Likes (received)

Ok, I'll fix it:

ˆ¢•ð!

You should get the tatoo in pictures or symbols. Like Yakuza do.
    Saburo Kitazono

Likes (received)

ˆ¢•ð!
    Much better. Now that would actually be a cool tattoo. hahaha.
    - Michael Bland

Tristan Guest

Originally posted by Michael Bland
    ~~
    Ya know, I thought one of the rules of this board was to respect other members. What Saburo wrote was a bit disrespectful. I came to obtain legitimate help and I get his immature post. At least I can thank Michael for his sincere and mature view/opinion on the matter.
    ~~

Likes (received)

It seemed appropriate.

If you are going to put something that is relatively permanent on your body that is supposed to have some deep meaning to you I would think the person wanting to get inked would put a little more effort into it other than throwing up a request on a message board.
    Last edited by Saburo; 14th August 2004 at 17:15.
    Saburo Kitazono

Tristan Guest

~~
    Eh, I suppose that's what I should've expected now that I re-read my first post. I guess at first reading, I kinda sound like a simplistic fool asking for advice that I'll take as the word of god. Oh well, no harm; no foul. I guess I should've mentioned that I was just using this as one out of a number of resources to cross-check the validity of the kanji. I actually already have the basic kanji from two dictionaries I have, however sentence structure is a whole different ball game.
    ~~

Likes (received)

Martial arts character dictionary. Only one of it's kind i know of that has both english-japanese and japanese-english translations.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sALeW4VV4xP89g

Likes (received)

Default If you want precision especially from a martial arts perspective

Im sure I can get you show you precise variations of kanji that relate to, convey the concept or represent it exactly as it might be written on a martial arts scroll. message me if you ever check this blog again. I will obtain those kanji for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast