Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Foku-ho" - aiki term?

Likes (received)

Default "Foku-ho" - aiki term?

I am curious about a term that we have been using in the neww jujutsu dojo that I train at. There is a wrist release named "foku ho". Surely that is a westernized term? Is there a standard japanese term. It is good to be back after a rather long illness.
    Erin O'Neill

MarkF Guest

I am glad you are feeling better, Erin.

Mark

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 10th June 2014 at 21:39.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Default Just in case...

[Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 10th June 2014 at 21:40.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

Likes (received)

Default no prob

I laugh at myself all the time, especially on the mat! No offense taken. By the way, how is your piece on Aiki going, I am so interested in that. It must change as new info becomes available or you gain new insights. Take care.
    Erin O'Neill

Likes (received)

Default Aiki essay

[Post deleted by user]
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Concerning "Foku-ho"... I suspect you are doing an offshoot of either Kamishin Ryu or Takeshin Sogo Budo. Within those traditions the use of the term Foku-ho does indeed make reference to the japanized word for "fork".

In the basic list of those arts there is a technique called Kote Shomei Odori. It has 4 basic variations that are taught to beginners. Within the style proper there are no proper names for the henka taught as a base. Over time people began calling each of the 4 basic henksa by a familiar name. One of those evolved names was "foku-ho". In these traditions it is a wrist displacement using the space between the index finger and the thumb.

hope this helps,
    Arthur
    --------------
    Arthur Sennott

Likes (received)

Default mitsumata ho

This is the authentic japanese version (name) of the technique. Took some time but i found it.
    Erin O'Neill

A. M. Jauregui Guest

Default My sick mind...

The phrase, open your "mata" comes to mind. lol

Likes (received)

Default Re: Aiki essay

Originally posted by Nathan Scott
    Most references address a certain element, or are deliberately vague, but seem to be talking about a similar concept in the end.

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Off to go extend my ki, become one with the universe, keep my one-point, etc.
    None of which have anything to do with what I know as aiki.

Nathen my smiley wont be recinded since what you speak of gels with what I've observed.

On one hand you have the definition of aiki shrouded in mystery. The I know but if I tell you I have to kill you type. No time for this - especially when the individual has only a few years of a particular art under their belt.

On the other hand there are attempts to describe exactly what is meant - sometimes successful, sometimes not.

In the latter case I see a strong similarity - a common thread if you will. I don't really see it as a percentage of elements but rather degrees of emphasis coupled with ways of expression. I do find that some styles of Aikido have added additional meaning based on a play of words but that is neither here nor there.

There is a monograph by Fumiaki Shishida (Professor of Budo history Waseda Daigaku) which describes the historical evolution of the term. If you take that as your base, rather than one particular arts version, than the relationships become very obvious.

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Speaking of which, you wouldn't happen to have an extra copy of Professor Shishida's monograph - or details that might lead me to where I could obtain a copy - would ya? It sounds familiar, but I don't think I have it.
    This is not a shameless book plug.

An English version of the monograph is found in Aikido: Tradition and the Competitive Edge available quite cheaply at Amazon.

The book also contains an improved section (versus the original Japanese publication) on Daito Ryu done in collaboration with either Tokimune Takeda or one of his senior students - I forget which. Although I could check tonight.

Likes (received)

[Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 10th June 2014 at 21:41.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai