Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How do you work the kihon happo into your training routine?

Likes (received)

Default How do you work the kihon happo into your training routine?

Quite the question isn't it ?

Seriously, i just want to see a pool of ideas from different people. I think it would benefit us all.

Joel Leduc
    We learn little from victory, much from defeat.

Likes (received)

Phew... difficult question.
    The first step to answer this question is to look at another question:
    "Why do YOU train kihon happō?"
    Some of you might laugh now, but this is by far not as silly a question as one might think. I train BBT since 1988 or 1989, and it was only last year that I received a decent possible explanation on the "why KH" question.
    Yes, of course, it is basics. That's for sure. One needs to know how to slam the foot into the ball to start training soccer/football. But degrading KH to a mere drill exercise is quite the wrong thing.
    Now, however, let me explain how our training looks like, so you'll get your answer.
    Training at our dōjō has been quite much systemated by my nowadays teacher, Merlyn. Not because he likes it that way, but because it makes sense.
    First and lowest level of training are the "kamae". One needs to have a proper understanding of kamae before things start to make sense. So there is quite a bit of emphasis on this topic.
    Next step is "sanshin no kata", teaching us ways to generate power, as well as "filling spaces" and the idea of "nagare" out of the kamae we learn in level 1.
    With the third level, we reach "kihon happō", where we take "level two" and incorporate a study of three new principles into the movements: "balance, distance and timing". We train to achieve our own "BDT" as well as how to destroy uke's "BDT".
    The fourth level is "kata" and "waza". Within this level lie the "principles", the "stratagems" which we can learn. Of course, in order to be able to perform this feats, you must have a proper and decent understanding of KH.
    The fifth and last level is "shinken gata", where we drop all of the first four levels to incorporate them all. No more "and one, and two, and three, and four" but training instinctively.

So, back to your question:
    There is no kata training possible without KH, in my humble opinion, as it provides everything you need to enable yourself the kata/waza. The only things you can train without KH is Sanshin no kata and kamae. Not quite much, is it?

But then: as I said, this is how we do it, being our dōjō as I understood things while training with Merlyn. I know that nearly every teacher has a different understanding of the "why" for everything he does.
    There is no "right" or "wrong" in this. There are only different ways...
    Achim Steigert
    Bujinkan Te-Nage Dōjō
    Bujinkan Budō Taijutsu
    Shodan - translated: beginners grade

Likes (received)

HI there,

Sanshin no Kata and Kihon Happo is a part of every training session in our Dojo.

Mike Schabbel

Likes (received)

Default Let me rephrase the question.

Do you work it just as a drill?

Do you do henka?

Do you do anything special with your KH?

Joel Leduc

Likes (received)

Default Re: Let me rephrase the question.

To make things clear: the "we" below refers not to the Booj in general, but to our own dōjō.

Originally posted by JLD_Jin
    Do you work it just as a drill?
    No, definitely not. When we do drills, it is a real drill, being tsuki or uke or whatever.

Do you do henka?[/B]
    No, not really. I seldom meet people who are really ready for henka, IMHO.

Do you do anything special with your KH?[/B]
    Oh yes, I explain them beyond the level of only saying the standard phrase "in KH we learn distance, balance and timing".
    Or at least as far as I can...
    Achim Steigert
    Bujinkan Te-Nage Dōjō
    Bujinkan Budō Taijutsu
    Shodan - translated: beginners grade

Likes (received)

We don´t do Kihon Happo just as a drill. Kihon Happo is conscious movement ( caused of my feldenkrais method ).

The basics are the most important. Nevertheless some henka are important too, because the body learn to move freely.

Special things with Kihon Happo:

- do it with some weapons
    - do it blind
    - do it in different directions
    - do it against different attacks
    - do it in different areas

greetz
    Mike Schabbel

Likes (received)

Default The best explanation I have ever heard

The best explanation I have ever heard or read came from combinations of statemetns and excerpts from a couple of Hatsumi's books.
    The kihon is worked into training almost every time you do some in taijutsu. You just don't realize it. Most times it's a henka. It's like Kamae. You use Kamae in alomst everything you do(even in everyday life) you just don't see it because you are not aware of it.
    In training, transitions through technique are Kamae. Alot of you already know this. Some don't, so bear with me. try going through a technique very slowly and see where the Kamae is. It's not hidden at all.
    A very good reason for these was yet again explained in our class the other night. In a true life combat situation it is not all the flowery pretty difficuly technical stuff that will get you through. It's the simplest of techniques that will allow you to get through it and continue on. thus the Kihon. these should be practiced and practiced until they become instinctive(they already are you just don't know it yet). these are the BASIC eight. These are the simple things that you need to know and build on. If you don't understand how these work then you cannot understand more difficult sequnces of technique.
    That's probably the best reasons I have ever heard so far. So basically the Kihon is already worked into your other stuff you just have to look for where it is to be aware of it.

Ed Green
    Ed Green
    http://www.Budoweapons.com

Most times I find that if I just read and listen that foot never seems to enter my mouth.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Methos911
    do it blind
    This seems a bit extreme. Or did you mean blind-folded?

Jeff
    Jeff Velten
    Kreth on undernet's #bujinkan and #martial IRC channels