Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Custom Tsuba maker

Tiger Ed Guest

Default Custom Tsuba maker

I am looking for a Custom Tsuba maker, (To add to my Iaito-when I pick which one I want) I have asked SDK, Tozando & Swordstore if they would make one on the Iaito if I get from then but they have not go back to me yet so I thought I would ask you all and see if you know any makers I can get one done by.

(All it is, is a Tiger and a Bear upon it, picked out in gold detail.)

Okashira Guest

Lightbulb

Check this out:

http://www.japaneseswordsltd.com

they have a wide variety of tsuba menuki etc that you can order them to make and send you in your choice of metal.

Likes (received)

http://bladefittings.com/

Look no further than Patrick Hastings. His work is incredible.
    Aage Bakken

Ki is like duct tape, it has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together. [yoj]

Tiger Ed Guest

Cheers fells.

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

We have one gung-ho iai-do student in our dojo who made his own tsuba a couple of months ago. It's actually a fairly simple process called lost-wax casting, & is used frequently to create custom jewelry. He teaches art at a high school & has access to their kiln.

He used Monel metal, by the way, which is both dense & strong. The tsuba has stood up well so far. His comment was that removing & reinstalling his tsuka was by far the hardest part, as 11 different "thingies" fell out, ranging from a toothpick to three shims. He also had to add one seppa, which he also cast.
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Mekugi Guest

Default Lohman does some nice stuff

http://www.japanese-swords.com/tsuba...y/frameset.htm

Fred has some of his custom stuff in there too. I'm not sure if that's the type of thing you are looking for, but worth the glance. Fred may do custom work if he likes your design.
    Last edited by Mekugi; 26th August 2004 at 20:45.

Likes (received)

www.bugei.com has tsuba for any taste and most wallets.

http://bugei.com/subcategory_86.htm
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

I like this one. Simple.

I didnt read the original post well enough, you wanted a custom with animals on in gold. Why not save that project for your future shinken, it will be expensive, unless you find a starving artist that will do it for a sandwich and a beer.
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

Default David Goldberg -- Gold Mountain Forge

http://www.goldmountainforge.com/

I have a tsuba made by David, with which I'm quite happy.

He has a few pieces, parts, and fully mounted blades available in stock at any given time, but the bulk of his work is custom.

As a result, you may have to wait a while, but you'll be happy with the work when it's done.

Best,

Fred Little

Mekugi Guest

Fred offers his from $60 - $95 on average, incidently. All of his work is museum quality and are usually authentic reproductions.

Going custom is going to be spendy, the best bet is to talk with the vendor and see what they want for their wears.

Likes (received)

Authentic reproductions? I assume you mean that they are cast from originals? Secondly, "museum quality" seems a bit hyperbole, though I'm sure Lohman's fittings are fine for the price. The tsuba that you find on bugei.com are Lohman's, by the way.

As for other custom tsuba makers, there are at least three talented guys that I know of, who post over at swordforum.com. Henry A., Brian Chan and Chris Fletchner. Read my post at
    http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...threadid=31855
    Aage Bakken

Ki is like duct tape, it has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together. [yoj]

Likes (received)

Talking Check this out

Hi,

This guy practice at my iaido dojo. He made all of his iaito furniture after buying a blank blade and saya.

Dragon Tsuba

Rabbit Tsuba

His Bio
    David Pan

"What distinguishes budo from various sport activities is the quest for perfection."

- Kenji Tokitsu

Mekugi Guest

Yeah that did come out funny. "reproductions of authentic historical pieces" would have sounded better, but I am not into the proofreading mode at the moment and I am fairly sure I have been understood (thanks for the air of anorak snoot though, always appreciated).

Some of Fred's works are directly copied from the orginals, others are his own work based on his original patterns, some gleaned some completely new. I stand by "museum quality" and do not see this as a bit of a hyperbole or a bit hyperbolic in the least. Most the hardware one encounters on retail iaito and some shinken are not made of steel, but of an alternate and cheaper material such as copper and pot metal (especially in Japan, where these little nuances drive the prices up quickly). Those found in museums and on older swords with original fittings are in fact steel and tend to last a great deal of time (generally a composite relationship of materials, lack of use and care). Incidently, as is the case with Nagoyajo and their sword displays from private collections, some of the furniture has been removed from the orginal blades and replaced with reproductions as the value of the single piece were worth more than the sword and the others fittings combined.

Originally posted by A. Bakken
    Authentic reproductions? I assume you mean that they are cast from originals? Secondly, "museum quality" seems a bit hyperbole, though I'm sure Lohman's fittings are fine for the price. The tsuba that you find on bugei.com are Lohman's, by the way.

As for other custom tsuba makers, there are at least three talented guys that I know of, who post over at swordforum.com. Henry A., Brian Chan and Chris Fletchner. Read my post at
    http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...threadid=31855
    Last edited by Mekugi; 27th August 2004 at 07:56.

Likes (received)

Thanks for clarifying, and for doing some proofreading for me. I did not intend to come across as snide (I assume the phrase "air of anorak snoot" suggest I did?).
    Aage Bakken

Likes (received)

Default Re: Check this out

Originally posted by DCPan
    Hi,

This guy practice at my iaido dojo. He made all of his iaito furniture after buying a blank blade and saya.

Dragon Tsuba

Rabbit Tsuba

His Bio
    it was nice to see those tsuba again. Wonderful artistry and craftmanship indeed.
    Roar Ulvestad