Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sword Style schools in Minnesota?

Kenji Himura Guest

Default New to the Japanese Sword Arts...

Hello,
    I'm new to all of this, but I've always been at least moderatley interested in learning the sword -- so -- the most logical question to ask is: Where do I start?

I've done a little bit of research, minimal at best to be honest, and have found Kenjutsu, Batto-Jutsu, and Iai-do to be of interest, though I am not horribly sure what the differences are between them all.

How does one decide which is right for him?

Once I decide which would be best, how do I go about finding a dojo?

I unfortunatley live in a place right now that isn't exactly what one would call the cultural exchange of the world, but will soon be moving to Minnesota, so hopefully that would bring about more opportunities

Any information that could point me in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks

S. South

Likes (received)

Hi, and welcome to the forums. Just so you know, someone will probably suggest that you give us your first name or something, so we can properly address you. It's a forum rule that you have to sign posts with your "real name." It helps us out, and makes it easier to avoid problems.

If you are new to the sword arts, please review the many threads here (click on the links). Also, if something from a moderator says READ, do us a favor and read it. It'll help, I promise .

There are a few folks who teach JSA (Japanese Sword Arts) in MN. Just saw one here in Orlando at the 2004 Orlando Tai Kai (Sword Tournament). Nice people up there (in the cold country... brrrrrr). Rather than give you advise in what's best to study, let me make a suggestion: think about what you WANT, and see if it's available. Just remember... contrary to The Last Samurai and other movies, wielding a "real sword" is not easy and is not cheap. Also, it's HARD WORK. I should know... I didn't put enough hard work in, and I lost in that aforementioned Tai Kai though I KNEW what forms to do and how to cut. (In other words, I knew, but I DIDN'T KNOW... when you find a good teacher, they'll explain THAT one!)

If you want to know the differences between iai, batto, etc. (and some people will tell you there ISN'T a difference, but that's another story <g>), look around here for a while. It'll help.

Well... I've babbled enough. Please feel at home here, and remember to LOOK FIRST, READ A BIT, **THEN** ASK OR RESPOND.

All the best,

Carlos
    E. Carlos Estrella, Jr.

The strength of a man is not measured in how much he can lift, how many he can fight or how much he can endure, but in his capacity to admit his limitations and learn to successfully circumvent them.

3. Likes mkrueger liked this post
    Kenji Himura Guest

Yeah, never thought it'd be easy, but it's definitley something thats piqued my curiousity.

Anyways, yeah, I'll look around a bit more. Maybe I'll find what I need. If not, I'll simply pester you more =P

And, as for the Full name thing, my appologies. I thought I read something that said you could post a first initial and a last name instead. May have been a mistake.

Not to be offensive, but I hardly feel comfortable posting my full real name to a group of complete strangers ^_~

Sean South

Likes (received)

Smile

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

Minnesota? I live there. There are three Kendo dojos, one of which is mine, and our dojo is on hiatus due to a lack of practice space.

Kendo is a Japanese sword art that is derived from Kenjutsu. It is lots of fun! There is no authentic Koryu Kenjutsu in Minnesota anywhere. I've looked all over. Koryu are the old Japanese swordarts developed before 1876, with a direct link to Japan. Anything after that, is generally considered Gendai budo.

There is one Koryu Iaido(Same as battojutsu. They mean the same thing.) dojo in Minneapolis though. I can't remember which Iaido Ryu(style) they teach. I believe it is MJER(Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu), but am not certain. Somebody please say if you know.

So, two Kendo dojo are in Minneapolis. The Minnehaha Kendo dojo and the Hokkyokusei Kendo dojo, and in Rochester MN, the main dojo of Hokkyokusei is there. There are only 3 recognised AUSKF(All US Kendo Federation) dojos in the entire state. The AUSKF is the official governing Kendo body in the US. There are also the regional Kendo federations that are also AUSKF related, that these dojos are also members of.

The Minneapolis Hokkyokusei dojo(My dojo) is the one in hiatus right now. I currently practice at the Minnehaha Kendo dojo with permission from my sensei and the sensei there, since I live far North of the main Rochester dojo. All three are excellent, and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Oh, the sensei for the Rochester Hokkyokusei is the same one as for the Minneapolis one. So, no need to list his name twice.

Here are the dojos:

Kendo
    ------

MWKF(Midwest Kendo Federation)
    Hokkyokusei Kendo Club
    Rochester, MN

-----------

MWKF
    Minnehaha Kendo Club
    4744 Chicago Ave.
    Minneapolis, MN
    W F 8:00-10:00pm

-----------

Iaido
    ------

MWKF
    Mutokai Iaido Club
    2390 University Ave
    St. Paul, MN
    W 8:00-9:30pm Sa 1:00-2:30pm Su 4:30-6:00pm

---------------------

I pulled this dojo information from the AUSKF site:

http://www.auskf.info/mainpages/schools.htm#CO

You should go there, and read about Kendo for more information on it, to see if you are interested.

Also, before you show up at a dojo once you move here, you should call the sensei first of each dojo and ask permission to come to watch a practice. This is standard, and proper etiquette. You ought to go to visit both the Kendo and the Iaido dojos to make a choice, since you need to see the art, to know what it is all about. And, make sure each sensei knows you are visiting different dojos, when you talk to them. And, tell them which one you end up choosing once you decide. It's just polite.

Oh and if it is two hours from you, no complaining, because that is how far I have to go to get to the dojo. Getting there is part of your training. It shows dedication, and sensei will be happy that you made the effort. And, it is ok to not make all the practices, if you can't. Just practice at home in between practices. I can only go twice a month because of the distance, so I make up for it, by practicing a lot at home. So, you can too. Well, I do hope you get lucky and you will be closer than I am to one of the dojos.

One thing... How soon is soon, in terms of moving here? And, where do you currently live? I could probably find you a dojo, especially if your state is in my dojo list I keep. Others may know too.

Oh, and for more information on what Kenjusu and Iaido is, do a search here. There are tons of good threads to be found on these subjects.

Also, please check out Koryu.com here:

http://koryu.com/index.html

Lots of good articles on the Japanese sword arts here.

Hope this helps!
    Carolyn Hall

6. Likes mkrueger liked this post
    Kenji Himura Guest

Wow! Kaoru, what can I say?? Thanks for all your help! With people like you here I feel quite welcomed. ^^

Anywho, soon is like....within 2-3 months soon, so while I appreciate your offer of looking up my state, it'd prove to be fruitless in the end. =)

As far as which dojo and which type of Japanese Sword Art I choose, I'll definitley take your advice, and visit the dojos. And, who knows, I may even end up in yours! Bwahahaha...pheer. lol

Well, thanks again, I really appreciate it! =)

Sean South

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Kenji Himura
    Wow! Kaoru, what can I say?? Thanks for all your help! With people like you here I feel quite welcomed. ^^

Anywho, soon is like....within 2-3 months soon, so while I appreciate your offer of looking up my state, it'd prove to be fruitless in the end. =)

As far as which dojo and which type of Japanese Sword Art I choose, I'll definitley take your advice, and visit the dojos. And, who knows, I may even end up in yours! Bwahahaha...pheer. lol

Well, thanks again, I really appreciate it! =)

Sean South
    Hi Kenji-san!

You are very welcome! That would be awesome to have you visit and even join our dojo. We'd be happy to have you. (At either dojo.) I hope we find a practice space soon. All are quite good though!

That's soon, 2-3 months.

Well, maybe I'll see you if you visit Minnehaha or mine, if we finally get a place to practice.

Anyweay, really, if there's Kendo in your state, and one is near you, please check it out while you are there. You can find out if there's a dojo in your state by going to the AUSKF page I posted in my previous post. You'd know sooner then, if you like it. If you are too busy packing or whatnot(Moving is the pits!), then, I hope you find what you like, here.

I hope your move goes smoothly!
    Carolyn Hall

Kenji Himura Guest

Well, checked out my ((Current)) state, Mississippi, and to no avail. Like I said, not exactly the place one would call a cultural cross-roads. lol. Chances are, I'dve been better off looking into this stuff last year when I was in colorado where thats concerned, but C'est La Vie.

Anyways, once we have a place picked out as far as where we're to live, I'll shoot ya a PM. I've no idea the geography of the different places in minnesota, and the fact that we could move anywhere doesnt help that much -- the job is a work at home job as a sales rep for the Mid-West, so so long as we live somewhere within driving distance of the different companies, its good.

Sorry bout ranting, you probably don't wanna hear anything about my RL crap. =P

Sean South

Likes (received)

Hi Sean, and again welcome! I am glad you're already getting responses.

I checked on one of my teachers websites and got this info:

Twin Cities Toyama Ryu Batto Jutsu Robert Steele
    Karate Junction Training Center, 1565 Como Avenue, St. Paul, MN
    toyama_ryu@yahoo.com www.geocities.com/toyama_ryu

The gentleman above (Robert Steele) is both nice and skilled in Toyama Ryu, a gendai budo sword art. I'm sure more qualified people here can describe it to you, so I'll just say that it has proven its effectiveness on the battlefield in relatively recent times, yet is practiced with a grace that is beauty to behold.

Kaoru's posts I am sure are helpful as well; I hope you're getting what you've asked for here and appreciate your interest in the arts.

Warmest regards,

Carlos
    E. Carlos Estrella, Jr.

The strength of a man is not measured in how much he can lift, how many he can fight or how much he can endure, but in his capacity to admit his limitations and learn to successfully circumvent them.

Kenji Himura Guest

Thank you sooo much Carlos, Kaoru, I really appreciate both of your help, and will definitley check in on the different dojos you've listed for me. Just pray that I end up living somewhere near St. Paul, lol

Sean South

Brad Olson Guest

If anyone has any information on the koryu iaido in Minnesota, I would appreciate a post or a shout. I have scoured the net, but can't seem to find any information.

Thanks,
    Brad Olson

Brad Olson Guest

It seems Toyama Ryu will be my most viable option in the area. Does anyone know anything about this place? http://www.chikaradojo.org I think the sensei's name is Alan Kilgore (sp)?
    Or this art? http://www.scjma.com

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Brad Olson
    It seems Toyama Ryu will be my most viable option in the area. Does anyone know anything about this place? http://www.chikaradojo.org I think the sensei's name is Alan Kilgore (sp)?
    Or this art? http://www.scjma.com
    Can't tell you much about the Chikaradojo, because their website is exceedingly vague about what they do. Here's a quote from their sword page:

SWORDSMANSHIP

The samurai sword. Everyone has heard of it, very few know anything at all about it. To samurai of old, swordsmanship was a daily matter and the refining of one’s skill was often a necessity. Swordsmanship practice is broken up into several groups. Two of which are known as iai jutsu (pronounced eee-ai joot-su) and ken jutsu. Iai is the act of drawing the sword smoothly and quickly at the correct time and cutting. Ken jutsu is the practical application of sword techniques after the blade has been drawn. Swordsmanship training is offered at this school to advanced level students age 11 and above. The training is highly detailed and rigorous. It is real bujutsu training, and has never before been offered in this area.
    That's about the extent of the information available. It's not exactly encouraging, but as it is very vauge it's not really conclusive either. Is this the Toyama Ryu place you were talking about?

The scjma.com site links to a Kaze Arashi Ryu dojo. KAR's lineage is... controversial at best. You can read about it at http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...u&pagenumber=1

I suggest reading the entire thread before deciding to sign up so that you know what you're getting into.
    Last edited by Charles Mahan; 22nd September 2004 at 17:56.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Brad Olson Guest

Thanks for youir input, Mr. Mahan. The aforementioned Chikara dojo is not the Toyama Ryu. The one I was speaking of is the one Mr. Estrella posted.

http://www.geocities.com/toyama_ryu/

They seem honest about their lineage. I believe the Chikara dojo practices "shinkage ryu" sword arts. So, I am skeptical to say the least.

Thanks Again Everyone,

Brad Olson

Yuma Guest

Default Sword Arts in Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota

Good evening. I've just joined this forum and am reading everything I can find..... when I came across this thread. I live in Minneapolis, and have been considering training with Sensei Cochran (sp) of the Minnehaha Kendo Club. I've been to watch an entire practice, which I am told by one of the students that night, not many people do, lol.... time is my only issue, but since their beginner's and kids class is only on Saturday, once a week is fine for me as a start.

I am also very interested to know if the dojo on 'hiatus' is active again. The Iai instruction is near me as well, just off Hwy 280 & University in St. Paul.

I'd love to hook up, cyber-wise for now, with someone who trains, especially for mind and body discipline.

Thanks for listening; I hope to learn from you all.

Appreciatively,

Elizabeth Chase
    ---just call me Lizzie

Likes (received)

Default Re: Sword Arts in Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota

Originally posted by Yuma
    Good evening. I've just joined this forum and am reading everything I can find..... when I came across this thread. I live in Minneapolis, and have been considering training with Sensei Cochran (sp) of the Minnehaha Kendo Club. I've been to watch an entire practice, which I am told by one of the students that night, not many people do, lol.... time is my only issue, but since their beginner's and kids class is only on Saturday, once a week is fine for me as a start.

I am also very interested to know if the dojo on 'hiatus' is active again. The Iai instruction is near me as well, just off Hwy 280 & University in St. Paul.

I'd love to hook up, cyber-wise for now, with someone who trains, especially for mind and body discipline.

Thanks for listening; I hope to learn from you all.

Appreciatively,

Elizabeth Chase
    ---just call me Lizzie
    Hi!

I am currently training at Cochran-sensei's dojo in place of my own dojo(St. Paul) since it is on hiatus still.

Yes, the St. Paul Kendo dojo is still in Hiatus, unfortunately. We just can't find a space yet. And the main dojo in Rochester is way too far. It's 4 hours South from me! It is about an hour and a half from St. Paul. Both sensei are excellent. You can't go wrong either way.

Anyway, I try to get there twice a month on Saturdays, since that's the only day I can go. Maybe I will see you this Saturday if I get to go. Did you come to practice just this last Sat. to watch? I was there.

Please enjoy Kendo!

Sincerely,
    Carolyn Hall

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast