Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sword Style schools in Minnesota?

Yuma Guest

Default Minnehaha Kendo

I'm hoping to take beginner's lesson tomorrow, if I can complete an assignment tomorrow. I think if I show up by 4 p.m., I should be fine.

At your service,

Elizabeth Chase

Likes (received)

Default Re: Minnehaha Kendo

Originally posted by Yuma
    I'm hoping to take beginner's lesson tomorrow, if I can complete an assignment tomorrow. I think if I show up by 4 p.m., I should be fine.

At your service,

Elizabeth Chase
    Hi!

You should get there no later than 3:30pm. He begins practice on time, at about 3:45pm. You need to meet with him before practice. He's not going to stop for you if you show up late. If you do show up late, please remove your shoes and step up on the dojo floor, bow and then walk up to the red line and either stand there before that line quietly or kneel in seiza until he notices you. Oh, and remove all jewellry.

Did you ever talk to him at the class you observed? I am assumig you did, but just in case, if you did not, it would be a very good idea to call him in the morning if you think you will be that late. Well, even if you will be on time, call him anyway. He needs to know you wish to start. (Am hoping you get this in time.) Still, if you will be late, that is what you do.

Wel I am not sure yet if I will be able to be there tomorrow, but if I am, I wil see you there. If I am not, I hope you enjoy your first class!
    Carolyn Hall

Yuma Guest

Default Saturday Practice

I certainly appreciate your tips, Kaoru. Jon Berry, a senior student gave me a different impression..... that practice doesn't usually begin until about 4:30, because people show up at 3:30, but they're not usually ready to be on the dojo floor until then. I certainly wouldn't want to make a bad impression from the beginning.

I have his phone number, and will call him before I leave for my library commitment this morning, that will last until at least 3 p.m., up in Lino Lakes. If I can't get there on time, I'll need to wait 2 weeks since I work next weekend (I'm a nurse.)

I spoke to him briefly last Friday, but more to Jon Berry. Sensei Cochran had literally just come from work and he was late on Friday, and already very tired, so I didn't want to bother him much.

Thank you again, and I hope that my day goes smoothly enough to start today, otherwise I'll meet you and the others in 2 weeks.

Grateful,

Elizabeth Chase

Likes (received)

I must have been sleeping and missed this post originally, but I've trained with the Mutokai Iaido club several times in St. Paul. They're a koryu iaido club that practices Muso Shinden Ryu, great group of people. They don't have much of a 'net presence, but they meet regularly at the aikido dojo in St. Paul (the address and Karl's phone number in Kaoru's post are accurate I believe). If you're in the area, do yourself a favor and check them out. PM me if you'd like more details.
    Ric Flinn

Yuma Guest

Default Mpls/St Paul sword arts

Well, I just pulled in from my library 'gig'. I am part of a feudal Japanese re-enactment group and the Society for Creative Anachronism; our demonstration was up in Lino Lakes, and so many people were interested we ran twice as long as we were booked for.

I think most of the group have trained in some form of Oriental sword art, except me and one other person.... who incidentally is a Fire Dancer.... if he isn't using real flame, like today, he uses silk streamers colored like flames. Very kewl.

And yes, I am interested in Iaido.... in fact, the general 'Way'.... not largely to fight, mostly for what lies between my ears and in my heart. I like kata most of all in Shotokan karate, but it takes application (in kumite, not on the street 8-} to test the moves you have trained and to hone reflexes; so, too, it seems with the sword. I am to the point in my life that I greatly appreciate the grace, the beauty, the strength, and the mental clarity that I learned in karate. I consider the sword arts as adding to that education.

The TC Aikido Center is about two miles from me... but only a mile as the crow flies, lol, because I live on the west side of the river. I had planned to call and request permission to watch a class session this week.

Thanks to Kaoru for her information and input, and for your offer of assistance. Perhaps we will cross paths soon.

Bowing,

Elizabeth Chase

Likes (received)

Default Re: Saturday Practice

I certainly appreciate your tips, Kaoru. Jon Berry, a senior student gave me a different impression..... that practice doesn't usually begin until about 4:30, because people show up at 3:30, but they're not usually ready to be on the dojo floor until then. I certainly wouldn't want to make a bad impression from the beginning.
    I'm glad I was able to help.

Well, he's got it a bit wrong. Everyone starts showing up at around 3:30pm sometimes earlier, and practice usually begins at about 3:45pm or a little after that. He tries to start on time. We are always well into practice at 4:30pm. (I like knowing what time it is. I look at the clock if I happen to be near it.)

Did you get a chance to call Cochran-sensei?

Thank you again, and I hope that my day goes smoothly enough to start today, otherwise I'll meet you and the others in 2 weeks.
    You're welcome!

Sincerely,
    Last edited by Kaoru; 24th October 2004 at 04:29.
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Default Re: Mpls/St Paul sword arts

Well, I just pulled in from my library 'gig'. I am part of a feudal Japanese re-enactment group and the Society for Creative Anachronism; our demonstration was up in Lino Lakes, and so many people were interested we ran twice as long as we were booked for.
    Well, I ended up not getting to go today either. But, I will probably be going this coming Saturday, if my Mom can take me. I normally go every other week, but sometimes, it ends up being less than that.

Thanks to Kaoru for her information and input, and for your offer of assistance. Perhaps we will cross paths soon.
    You are very welcome!

Sincerely,
    Carolyn Hall

Yuma Guest

Default Re: Re: Saturday Practice

It's also quite possible that I misunderstood Jon, too. He was kind enough to visit with me for awhile. I met Toby as well. There was another gentleman, and a woman named Amanda, but we did not speak. Sensei Cochran was very kind, tired, and seem preoccupied, even before the class started, so I didn't bother him much. Perhaps I will have more of an opportunity to visit with him after I've trained for a few months. My son will need to prove his own tenacity & interest.

I have a question that may surprise you, but as I am a mother, too, I'd just like be comfortable with having your mom know who I am, so that she has one less thing to worry about. I try to not monitor every moment my kids spend online, visiting forums, playing online games, and whatnot.... they usually volunteer what they're into. They've reported 'stange behaviour' and other stalking type question to the list-owners ( of a different forum)

So, you seem to have a good head on you, and a kind heart to guide your actiosn. You've been training longer than have I, so you are my sempai, Kaoru-dono. Please do me the favor of telling her to whom you have been visiting. I'd like to make her acquaintance some time down the line.....

Hey! How about those Red Sox!!!!!!

I think you mention checking out Kendo World as well. Perhaps tomorrow, after I've slept sinfully late........ My kids are Milwaukee with their dad; this house is quiet, and I can sleep as long as I like.

REally tired now, falling asleep at the wheel, lol.....

Lizzie

Chase

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Re: Saturday Practice

Hi Yuma-san,

It's also quite possible that I misunderstood Jon, too. He was kind enough to visit with me for awhile. I met Toby as well. There was another gentleman, and a woman named Amanda, but we did not speak. Sensei Cochran was very kind, tired, and seem preoccupied, even before the class started, so I didn't bother him much. Perhaps I will have more of an opportunity to visit with him after I've trained for a few months. My son will need to prove his own tenacity & interest.
    Yeah, it is possible he did. I don't think I have met the sempai you mentioned, yet. I don't get to go on week-days(Live too far.), so I only get to meet some of them.

Well, when you come to practice, you need to make a point of talking to Cochran-sensei right away. He needs to meet you and teach you the proper etiquette and all that. You can't just join the class and not tell him you and he wish to participate in practice. That would not go over well... (I mean no offense. I just want to make sure your first day in class goes well. And, make a point of calling him if you haven't already, before you go, to let him know you both are coming. It is just good etiquette. )

I have a question that may surprise you, but as I am a mother, too, I'd just like be comfortable with having your mom know who I am, so that she has one less thing to worry about. I try to not monitor every moment my kids spend online, visiting forums, playing online games, and whatnot.... they usually volunteer what they're into. They've reported 'stange behaviour' and other stalking type question to the list-owners ( of a different forum)

So, you seem to have a good head on you, and a kind heart to guide your actiosn. You've been training longer than have I, so you are my sempai, Kaoru-dono. Please do me the favor of telling her to whom you have been visiting. I'd like to make her acquaintance some time down the line.....
    No, I don't mind at all. Actually though, I guess I should have clarified that I've already graduated from college. My Mom drives me because my vision isn't good enough to drive a car. But, I will tell her anyway, because it will make her very happy to know who you are. She hates the internet and she thinks people online are scary and always wishes she could meet the ones I know. It bothers her that she can't see them face to face, and does not really approve of me making online friends she can't meet. Sigh... Besides, off-line, she just expects to get to meet people I know whether it's a girl or guy. Old fashioned I guess. So, she will be only too pleased to get to meet you.

Another RK fan? I haven't been called that for a long time. Kaoru-san is just fine.
    "Dono" is too fine an honorific. I hardly deserve that.

Hey! How about those Red Sox!!!!!!
    I don't know a thing about baseball...

I think you mention checking out Kendo World as well. Perhaps tomorrow, after I've slept sinfully late........ My kids are Milwaukee with their dad; this house is quiet, and I can sleep as long as I like.

REally tired now, falling asleep at the wheel, lol.....
    Hope you have fun having the house to yourself. Kendo World is a nice forum, and there are some 13 year olds there too. Your son might enjoy it as well as you, and learn something about Kendo there.

Sincerely,
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Default Chikara Dojo

I train at the Chikara dojo. Please excuse the website, i wasn't aware we had one, and i think it is very out of date.

The style we practice is Shinkage-ryu, kenjutsu, iai and the unarmed techniques, along with some spear techniques. Sensei Kilgore has been practicing swordsmanship for about 20 years i think.
    The address on the website is correct, we are located on Rice St. near Co. Rd C, in little canada.
    -Matt Henseler

Yuma Guest

Default Twin Cities Training

Another RK fan? I haven't been called that for a long time. Kaoru-san is just fine.
    "Dono" is too fine an honorific. I hardly deserve that.

Kaoru-san (at your request),

My use of the suffix -dono stems from my early training, and current 'lifestyle' in my re-enactment group, between the years 600 & 1600. During those times, '-dono' was used when addressing a person of either perceived equal or greater status.

I accord you this honor as sempai in the kendo realm, and at least as equal as a human being.

I am afraid I must plead ignorance of your use of the 'RK', and would appreciate illumination.... of course, the only brain cells firing at this hour are in the stem, and those in my fingers that are skilled at remembering locations of letters on my keyboard. I had to stay up until my babies were home, you know (there's a second hobbit-haired half-elfling, too. He's 9 years old..).

I look forward to meeting both you and your mother. Please forgive my impertinent suggestion that you tell your mother with whom you are playing; my intent was not patronization or condescention of your age. That you are graduated from college and retain obvious traits of goodness, honesty, generosity and compassion --traits normally associated with younger adolescents --- does honor to you and especially to your mother. I wanted to accord you the same courtesies and safeguards that I would want someone to accord to my own children.

I will call Sensei Cochrane midweek before the second Saturday from now, for instructions, and arrangements before the class. Each sensei has his or her own protocol, and I think it best to always bring 'beginner's mind' and accept different practices as expanding my experience and education.

Just how far out do you live from the dojo? 30 - 40 miles? Yikes!

Matt,

My thanks to you as well for mentioning your training facility. I had to go back through the threads and find them. We'll most likely visit several places to check the atmosphere, ambience, and general attitude of the students and instructors.

Of course, nothing is going to go anywhere until the World Series is over. And I have two sewing project to finish (and to the 'between project clean-up) before I can start something else.

Matt--- does your sensei prefer a short conversation on the phone for a prospective student, then follow up with a visit to the dojo?

I'm really very much enjoying this thread, and the lovely visits with other folk who have been kind, generous, and honest. I'll warn you now that while I am not an ego-based fighter-wanabee, I do love the absolute simplicity of being the same energy from my brain to my heat and to my actions and beyond I find myself a touch wiser, whether I prevailed in the conflict or not. I , yeah, tend towards philostification when I get that energy flow going.....

I'm going to take advantage of the long pauses between thougts and just call it a night.

Hay you all be safe from harm, whereever you are, and at least at arms reach of those whom you love and they love you.

Yuma

Wout Guest

Default Re: Re: Re: Saturday Practice

Chase

You should read thee top ten list of things that show you are obsessed with kendo, kendo world is filled with scary people . But they wont stalk anyone, too busy with kendo

Wout Guest

Default Re: Twin Cities Training

I am afraid I must plead ignorance of your use of the 'RK', and would appreciate illumination.... of course, the only brain cells firing at this hour are in the stem, and those in my fingers that are skilled at remembering locations of letters on my keyboard. I had to stay up until my babies were home, you know (there's a second hobbit-haired half-elfling, too. He's 9 years old..).

Hay you all be safe from harm, whereever you are, and at least at arms reach of those whom you love and they love you.

Yuma
    Rurouni kenshin is an anime series (like the series, but oav where soo much better), he always used the suffix dono when talkin to another character in the series named kaoru .

Oh and thank you , although I'm not quite sure what 'hay' means, I'll think it's something good.

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Twin Cities Training

Originally posted by Wout

Oh and thank you , although I'm not quite sure what 'hay' means, I'll think it's something good.
    Haybe it is.
    Roar Ulvestad

Yuma Guest

Default 'Hay' & question

"Hay you all be safe from harm...."

LOL, it's good.....

I meant 'May'.............

Must have been all that excitement about the Red Sox winning last night.

I must admit that I might be susceptible to the criteria of that top ten list.... I already like the color 'indigo' (goes well with my eyes.... I often dream kata (Shotokan karate)..... often carry my bo in my dreams (been a long while for the real thing, though ).....

I loved the 'kiai when you open an umbrella' line. Kewl!

Question: I am accustomed to the shorter kiais of karate & bo. What is the purpose for carrying on a kiai for 20 feet past your blow? If I'm not making sense, please help me find the right words.

Appreciatively,

Lizzie

Chase

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast