Perhaps a relevant post, considering...

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...223#post228223

So who didn't understand it?????
    Greg Clarke
    清隆会 Shinto Muso Ryu
    兵法 Niten Ichi Ryu

"Seek out the middle of the two we's in I"

Likes (received)

Sure -- most people already familiar with properly spelled English words will probably figure it out. But it hardly proves spelling doesn't matter....
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

"Swords are the rosary of Aikido"

D. H. Skoyles Sensei 04/03/01

Nakayamakai KoAikido dojo

Likes (received)

Originally posted by David T Anderson
    Sure -- most people already familiar with properly spelled English words will probably figure it out. But it hardly proves spelling doesn't matter....
    The point of the post/thread wasn't to prove that spelling doesn't matter. Rather just simply demonstrate, for those caught up on the proper usage and command of Orthography, that for the sake of communication in this forum a spelling error doesn't diminish the the ability of others to understand what is said in the context of a discussion.

Of course, if this were a verbal discussion forum (face-to-face) rather than a written one the point of spelling is completely moot.
    Last edited by gmlc123; 5th September 2004 at 06:00.
    Greg Clarke
    清隆会 Shinto Muso Ryu
    兵法 Niten Ichi Ryu

Likes (received)

It does to a point where it simply shits people off to hear about their errors.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by PwarYuex
    It does to a point where it simply shits people off to hear about their errors.
    Interesting point of view... I get corrected constantly in dojo, and if it bothered me in any serious way [rather than simply motivating me to do better,] I wouldn't have lasted a month.
    Last edited by David T Anderson; 5th September 2004 at 15:22.
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

Likes (received)

Originally posted by gmlc123
    The point of the post/thread wasn't to prove that spelling doesn't matter. Rather just simply demonstrate, for those caught up on the proper usage and command of Orthography, that for the sake of communication in this forum a spelling error doesn't diminish the the ability of others to understand what is said in the context of a discussion.

Of course, if this were a verbal discussion forum (face-to-face) rather than a written one the point of spelling is completely moot.
    _A_ spelling error doesn't matter a bit. _Constant_ disregard for spelling, bad grammar, gratuitious use of foul language [to name a few bad habits too often seen here] do make a difference in how a message is presented and perceived. I'd never get on anybody's case for the occasional spelling mistake, but there are messages I don't bother to read or respond to.

I find it inconsistent that writers in a forum dedicated in part to discussing martial discipline, don't see the value of discipline in the rest of their lives and habits, esp. including language skills. The same would be just as true in a face-to-face forum.
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

Likes (received)

David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Grammar and syntax are forms of kata. One can choose to do them sloppily, or one can choose to do them with precision.

This said, good form, in both martial art and writing, is not synonomous with substance. A political speech, for instance, rarely has misspelled words, but frequently has nothing substantive to say.

Likes (received)

Nobody objects to the odd Keyboard incuced error, or even the odd incorrect spelling.

The real annoyance (for Me) is the gratuituous use of "L33tspeak" and no grammar.
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Originally posted by David T Anderson
    _A_ spelling error doesn't matter a bit. _Constant_ disregard for spelling, bad grammar, gratuitious use of foul language [to name a few bad habits too often seen here] do make a difference in how a message is presented and perceived. I'd never get on anybody's case for the occasional spelling mistake, but there are messages I don't bother to read or respond to.
    Then we completely agree.. and likewise I'd not get or haven't gotten on anyone's case either. However, there are some on e-budo that seemingly do so just for the sake of a ego-based superiority complex of sorts.

The relaxed written expression of some ppl at times is not a true reflection on their education and/or intellect, as some others seem to think. If it's a constant disregard then that's another story. Let's not confuse the two in context to how this thread came about ie. (Kimpatsu) Tony's zealousness.

I find it inconsistent that writers in a forum dedicated in part to discussing martial discipline, don't see the value of discipline in the rest of their lives and habits, esp. including language skills. The same would be just as true in a face-to-face forum.
    I further agree with what you've said, they shouldn't be inseparable and should carry over to a certain extent. However, it's all about the attitude or intention behind the correction of others' errors. If it's truly from a base of compassion and kindness then that's fine, nobody would object even in a public forum like this or face-to-face.

If however it's to belittle and/or humiliate the individual in front of peers, then that says more about the person making the comment/correction than the individual that's being corrected. Besides what do you really know about that individual's personal circumstance and history, other than making assumptions based on their command of orthography.

Sometimes to help people with a hand up, you have to go down to their level in the first place so as to encourage them to respect you and to then moreover readily edify them. It's all about the intent and attitude, not necessarily the content of the correction/s IMHO.
    Greg Clarke
    清隆会 Shinto Muso Ryu
    兵法 Niten Ichi Ryu

Likes (received)

fgdfhhg. sdf,.bvjhfoinjnh?
    mvcnbgfjb fngfd dsi fgjdfgfd kjfpqorip dm,ver!!!

bnlgkdf dsfds lmmvncx.
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

Does spelling matter?

Of course! And so does grammar. However, an English teacher does not interupt a Social Studies class to correct the students. Correction should be done at the proper time and in the proper manner.

This topic came about because of the actions of a few members.

Now, if these particular members were to stop their Martial Arts class and correct their instructor, what punishment would they endure for these interuptions? Push-ups? Scoldings? Perhaps cleaning the floors? Who knows.

Is spelling and grammar a big part of Martial Arts? No. Truth is Martial Arts doesn't need spelling to be Martial Arts. Neither does it need grammar. Neither does it need translation. Neither does it need ranks or belts. Martial Arts is the pusuit of self-defense.

The way I see it, if these members wouldn't correct their instructor's spelling and grammatical errors during class, they also shouldn't against other people. Would they say, "Sensei? Don't you mean punch instead of puch here in the handbook, and isn't this a dangling participle?" No. They wouldn't during class out of respect. These same members do not respect their fellow E-Budo members. How do I know? Simple. I was corrected on spelling on another occasion by a different member. They contacted me by PM. They told me how I could get it corrected. You see, it is how you do it.

So to those of you who who do this (you know who you are), please consider that just because you are a Martial Artist that have flawless writing skills, doesn't mean you have to ridicule and bring to a stop an entire discussion to satisfy and stroke your ego. Lord knows that any more stroking and that thing might go off!
    David Dyer
    4th Dan Black Belt
    Ro-Ken Karate Association

It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Likes (received)

Of course it matters.

While on vacation in England we saw a television production about children and spelling in the UK. It was horrible to see, they couldn't spell the simplest of words.

It seems to me that on the internet it's usually the people who do not have English as their standard language use it better than the English or Americans (I've seen this several times on e-budo).

Spelling always matters, how is anyone going to consider your arguments in a serious way if you can't even use correct grammar and spelling?

And if you can't be bothered to do it yourself, at least learn how to use the spelling and grammar check in word processing programs.

Now if you start picking apart my sentences for mistakes, please keep in mind that my first language is Dutch.
    Rogier van der Peijl

REAL SCOTSMEN WEAR KILTS because sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yards!

Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
    Ah, what a cutie, Rogier. I'll bet a lot of ladies in Netherlands are mourning because you are out of circulation now!