Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Post count [number of posts dif.]

Likes (received)

Default Post count [number of posts dif.]

My "post count" is currently at 7 (when I last looked) while I have made (I believe) in excess of 25 posts.

Is there a delay in posts being counted? Or, does it only count once per each thread you post to, regardless of how many posts you make in that thread?

Or, is there another reason, like a conspiracy against those from the Great White North(east)? (Well, currently the leaves are changing colors and falling from the trees... but, soon, it will be cold and white!)

Anyways... just curious. Thanks!
    Bob Hartley
    ------------------------
    Disclaimer- any typographical, grammatical or spelling errors are my own responsibility, and may not be blamed on anybody else.

Likes (received)

Talking

The system only counts the good posts.

For instance, Stuff in the lounge does not count. Stuff in actual martial art related forums will count.

I don't even know if this post will count.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Default inequality

That is so unfair... sigh. I have written numerous intelligent, well thought out, and riveting posts, and now I find that they don't count...

Thanks for the note, though, because it is something that I noticed the end of last week. I looked at the FAQ's, and didn't see anything there explaining how the count would increment.

By the way- a quick look at the post counts of everybody registered shows there to be approximately 6,469 registered members with zero posts. Incredible!

Of course, of equal impressiveness are the counts for the top 20 posters.
    Bob Hartley
    ------------------------
    Disclaimer- any typographical, grammatical or spelling errors are my own responsibility, and may not be blamed on anybody else.

Likes (received)

Default cleared posts

I won't argue the point that E-budo should be about the "budo"... though, arguably, some of what goes on in the Members Lounge is budo.

But, I do have to say that just because a post that was made is "cleared" doesn't mean it never happened. Hence, it could/should still count.
    Bob Hartley
    ------------------------

Likes (received)

Who cares about post count anyway?
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Default who cares?

It's less about who cares (though I am the one who asked the question) and more about how the system works. Since it keeps track of certain posts, and it wasn't clear to me why it wasn't catching them all, I asked.

That's all.
    Bob Hartley
    ------------------------

Likes (received)

IMO, the relevant statistic is not total post counts. Instead, the relevant statistic is average posts per day. So, while Nathan Scott and Yagyu Kenshi have the same number of posts (as of September 23, 2004), you'll notice that Nathan, a moderator, has also been a member several years longer. Thus, Nathan actually posts comparatively infrequently. Likewise, my post count works out to just over one post per day. Considering that I visit most forums in E-budo most days, that frequency of posting isn't too surprising. Bob, though, isn't really lagging all that far behind, as he's currently averaging about one post per week. True, many of those posts are in this one thread, but once a conversation starts, those post counts start going up in a hurry.

As for why the Member's Lounge doesn't apply, certain individuals were making dozens of one-sentence posts, often saying nothing more profound than "I disagree with that, you idiot," in a conscious effort to raise their post counts. By eliminating post counts in the Member's Lounge, some of that was eliminated.
    Last edited by Joseph Svinth; 24th September 2004 at 02:16.

MarkF Guest

Joe and I have been here about the same length of time, but there was a period from summer of 1999 until April of 2000 where all posts were erased by a hard drive crash, so Joe's count would be a lot higher as would mine.

During the last housecleaning, some people lost nearly 1000 posts and others from a few to hundreds. If I recall, the cleaning of the Lounge deleted fewer than one hundred (around 75, I think) of mine, but Joe posts more often there and lost more, as did a few who only post in the lounge and Bad Budo.

Nathan Scott rarely posts there, either, while Yagyu Kenshi posts often.

My daily post count is around 2.6, but lately. most of that is in my forum, the judo forum. I take days away from e-budo as of late, but due to the rather high number, it will always appear that I post more than I really do. In fact, I probably answer more private messages in a day than I do post in all the forums. I visit most of them, but I'm lurking more now than I used to.

BTW: If you are interested in how many members do not post, include those who have been members for a year or more, then add those with one or two posts. That total will rise big time.

Most members of message lists like E-budo join only to use the features, and prefer to read/lurk. Well, it may not be most but it is well-over half the membership if not higher. Popular feature: The Ignore List.

Mark

Likes (received)

Default coming from behind...

Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
    Bob, though, isn't really lagging all that far behind, as he's currently averaging about one post per week. True, many of those posts are in this one thread, but once a conversation starts, those post counts start going up in a hurry.

As for why the Member's Lounge doesn't apply, certain individuals were making dozens of one-sentence posts, often saying nothing more profound than "I disagree with that, you idiot," in a conscious effort to raise their post counts. By eliminating post counts in the Member's Lounge, some of that was eliminated.
    I'll catch up, in the next week or two... Just kidding. I actually have posted quite a few times (in the last week or so) in the Members Lounge, so if those counted, my daily post average would be higher... In my case, they were not intended to raise my count, but were in reply/response to other posts.

Thanks for the discussion and explanations, fellow members.
    Bob Hartley
    ------------------------