Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yagyu Shingan ryu (taijutsu, katchu yawara, or yoroi kumiuchi)

Likes (received)

Default Yagyu Shingan ryu (taijutsu, katchu yawara, or yoroi kumiuchi)

I tried asking this question in the jujutsu forum, but maybe this is where I should have started?
    -------------------------------------
    Hi everybody,

Am I misstaken or have two different men travelled to Edo, trained with the Yagyu family and recieved permission to name their tradition Yagyu shingan ryu? Those two men would be Araki Mataemon and Takenaga Hayato.

Are these two ryuha related somehow or just, for some reason, sharing the same name? They (in case of different traditions) seem to have somewhat similar curriculum, or I may have confused the two. Do both of them (in case of two different traditions) practise kachu kenpo and kachu yawara?

Can someone please explain this?

Regards,
    Ulf Undmark

Likes (received)

Ulf,

The last I remember reading, there are about 5 different shihan teaching similar versions of Yagyu Shingan Ryu. Perhaps the most well known is Shimazu Kenji sensei -- the one you will often see in Hiden magazine.

Just a photo op at Meiji Shrine on 3 November 1993-- I never trained with him.

Shimazu sensei wrote once that there were five separate, yet related, YSRs -- and that they are all on friendly, cooperative terms. Not an exact quote -- but that's how I remember processing the information.

Regards,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Hello Guy and thank you for answering!

As I remember, Shimazu sensei studied several lines of the Yagyu shingan ryu, including one called Goto ha. But as I understood it, all of them were considering Takenaga Hayato as their founder.

I've never heard of a relation between Takenaga and Araki Mataemon, who is said to have founded the YSR taijutsu taught by (I'm guessing here) Muto Masao? I'm still *very* confused.
    Is Araki connected to Takenaga somehow?

Regards,
    Ulf Undmark

Frans Stiene Guest

Default Yagyu Ryu

Dear Members,

Can anyone tell me more about Yagyu Ryu as I don't know anything about it. Do you know if there is a main centre in Japan of this school and if so do they have and email or website?

Maybe some of you knwo the email or website of the Dai Nippon Buthokia, Kyoto, Japan as well.

Thanks for your time and effort

Frans

thumpanddump Guest

Default Yagyu Shingan ryu

Hi frans

There are 2 groups that deal with Yagyu shingan ryu
    in Australia and there is a french site but I do not
    know the address.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bench/2297/

http://www.ninja.com.au

Good luck in your search

Likes (received)

Default Thread Move Announcement

Hello,

Asking about Yagyu ryu is pretty broad, and as Mr. Skoss says, "there is no Yagyu ryu". The Yagyu arts are more properly referred to as Yagyu shinkage ryu (kenjutsu), Yagyu shingan ryu (jujutsu) and Yagyu seigo ryu (batto).

Which were you asking about?
    Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Frans Stiene Guest

Default yagyu ryu

Hi Nathan Scott,

Sorry, as you can see I don't know much about Martial Arts.

I am conducting a research into the history of Mikao Usui (1865-1926) who is the founder of Reiki and he was supposidly instructor in 'Yagyo Ryu' he gained 'Menkyo Kaiden' the highest licence of proficiency in weaponry and grappling but as I don't know much about this art I was wondering if someone could help me out in explaining it so I can form a better picture of Mikao usui which helps me in return to get a better knowledge of Reiki.

thanks again,

Frans Stiene

Likes (received)

If he gained a menkyo kaiden, than it probably wasn't in Yagyu Shingan Ryu or the Seigo Ryu stuff, since they don't give licenses that I know of. Since you describe it as grappling, it might have been Yagyu Shingan Ryu, which is primarily a taijutsu/jujutsu based style that does award licenses.

Peter Boylan

Yamantaka Guest

Unhappy TO OR NOT TO BE YSR...

Originally posted by pboylan
    If he gained a menkyo kaiden, than it probably wasn't in YAGYU SHINGAN RYU or the Seigo Ryu stuff, since they DON'T give licenses that I know of. Since you describe it as grappling, it might have been YAGYU SHINGAN RYU, which is primarily a taijutsu/jujutsu based style that DOES award licenses.
    Peter Boylan
    YAMANTAKA : Please, Peter, no Shakespeare!
    YSR does or doesn't give licenses?
    Best

Likes (received)

OOPS! Sorry Ubaldo. That should read:

If he gained a menkyo kaiden, than it probably wasn't in YAGYU <b>SHINKAGE RYU</b> or the Seigo Ryu stuff, since they DON'T give licenses that I know of. Since you describe it as grappling, it might have been YAGYU SHINGAN RYU, which is primarily a taijutsu/jujutsu based style that DOES award licenses.

Peter Boylan

Frans Stiene Guest

Default thanks

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that info, would you maybe know where I can check that Mikao Usui realy did his training with the YAGYU SHINGAN RYU?

Maybe there is still a school in Japan of this lineage or maybe in another way.

Thanks for the help.

Frans Stiene

Likes (received)

HI Frans,

Unfortunately, short of contacting every branch of Yagyu Shingan Ryu in Japan and checking with them, I don't know any way to verify what YSR training someone has received.

Peter Boylan
    Mugendo Budogu LLC
    Martial Arts Books, Videos & Equipment from Japan to You
    http://www.budogu.com

Shin Buke Guest

Default Yagyu Shingan-ryu - Lineage and techniques?

I just received word over at Sword Forum that E-budo was back online! I have to say that I'm most pleased to be able to access this excellent resource again. But, onto my quandries.

I've been doing a bit of research on Yagyu Shingan-ryu recently and I've come upon a rather interesting problem; I've come across two separate linages for Yagyu Shingan-ryu. The first (at http://www.koryu.com/guide/shingan.html) lists Araki Mataemon as the founder and Muto Masao as the current headmaster. I have seen a similar lineage (http://www.kunpooan.com/arakido/shingan-e.html) whose only difference lists Kajitsuka Yasushi as Muto Masao's successor and current headmaster of Yagyu Shingan-ryu (apparently Muto-sensei passed away in March of 2001). I have, however, found another site (http://www.txc.net.au/~hokushin/yagyushi.htm) that lists a completely different lineage for the school. The lineage starts with the founder as Takenage Hayato Kanetsugu and lists the current headmaster as Hoshi Kunio. I have seen this lineage at another site as well (couldn't find it with a quick search, should have bookmarked it) however, I tend to put my faith in Koryu.com and its official links over other sites.

My first thoughts on this subject were that perhaps one lineage referred to a "ha" of Yagyu Shingan-ryu, however, the fact that there are two different founders shoots this theory down.

In addition to this, I'm also curious about the techniques taught in the Yagyu Shingan-ryu cirriculum. Koryu.com lists taijutsu, kenjutsu, bojutsu, naginatajutsu, and iaijutsu. However, a linked site at Koryu.com (http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/1276/shingan.html) lists a much larger cirriculum. Is, perhaps, the cirriculum listed at Koryu.com the (for lack of a better term) "standard" cirriculum for Yagyu Shingan-ryu and the cirriculum listed at the latter site from Goto-ha Yagyu Shingan-ryu? Is Goto-ha Yagyu Shingan-ryu the only extant form of the ryu?

Unfortunately, as most of my books on koryu bujutsu are on loan to two of my friends, I am unable to access those for more insight on these questions.

Finally, I've not been able to find out much about Yagyu Shingan-ryu's history, development, and such. If anyone could direct me to a good source of information concerening this ryu I would be most appreciative.

Thank you! ^_^

Adreas_Varikas Guest

Default Yagyu Shingan Ryu

Hello everyone,
    I recently watched 2 vhs tapes of Yagyu Shingan Ryu and I know that Yagyu Shingan Ryu is a recpectable koryu school, but, I really couldn't understand what I was watching.

I could not imagine how one could fight this way, effectively.

Could someone share a thought on this?

Likes (received)

Mr. Varikas,

there is a chapter devoted to why you cannot understand what is going on (most of the time) watching a koryu kata being performed in Keiko Shokon, edited by Mrs. Skoss:

http://koryu.com/store/ks3.html

In any case, and to cut the story short, the kata is there to teach the member of the ryu something, not to entertain/inform the audience.

HTH,

Federico Calboli

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast