Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yagyu Shingan ryu (taijutsu, katchu yawara, or yoroi kumiuchi)

Likes (received)

Hi All,

Back in 1993 I attended a seminar conducted by Shimazu Kenji-sensei of Yagyu Shingan Ryu (Chikuoasha branch) and I asked that same question of Shimazu-sensei...I was young and foolish, now I'm just foolish, anyway, Shimazu-sensei proceeded to show me the application of the waza and kata (unfortunately for me). After a couple of throws, take downs, joint locks and immobilisation holds I understood how it could be used effectively. I also learned not to ask stupid questions like that again :-)

Regards,

Paul Steadman
    Paul Steadman

Adreas_Varikas Guest

First of all many thanks for your replies.

But in case I got misunderstood,
    I never implied that any martial art's kata exist for entertainment purpose only, or that an outsider/complete begginer like myself can understand the purpose, spirit and meaning of anything by watching just a video.

All I was saying is that it looked completely different than anything I have seen, and I wanted a clue.
    That's all.

Again many thanks for the time spent.

Likes (received)

Default Yagyu Shingan ryu

I, too, had a great hoot when I first saw the Yagyu Shingan ryu (tape by Quest - quality piece.) Then they added the armor and the light bulb came on!

1) They do alot of arm 'swings' before implementing a waza (technique) - basically what if someone really holds on? So practice several 'attacks' to said grabbing arm (which would be protected by armor.) Eventually, sequentially, one will work the grip free. Then do technique.

2) Someone recently commented on the type of 'ukemi' they use, a sorta backflip. Well, It's a head drive straight down. Of course, no uke in his right mind wants to get even close to this - so sorta backflip. I call these the 'surfer' injuries. Not a competition technique - just break the neck/head/spinal cord and look for next enemy on the battlefield.

3) They did a funny little jog step drill. Well, in armor, there are alot of little plates that just love to murphy up with the guy next to you moving down the castle hallway. This drill reduces the chances of getting caught up.

4) The biggest surprise was the amount of noise that fighting in armor made. Clack Clack Clack!

5) They did this funky little 'hand to the back of the head move' before a backward roll. Of course, when they put on the kabuto (helmet) it made perfect sense as this cleared the flexible awning that protected the neck. No funky move and you break your own neck.

6) Seemed primarily (especially the basics) with moving in armor, fighting in armor, etc. As soon as you put on armor, kicks are almost eliminated, motion is restricted, more hip movement, naturally heavier, and so on.

7) More things change, the more they stay the same. As soon as we go against an opponent that wears as much body armor as good ole USA then you'll see moves like this come back into play.

8) Had an instructor once said you could date a technique by where they grabbed (if older then represented in armor.) Classic example would be the Kito-ryu kata that Kano kept in his curriculum - almost museum pieces but they still work.

Scott Harrington
    www.aikitools.com
    S. Harrington

Likes (received)

I did a Seminar with Shimazu Kenji-sensei last year.

I was fascinated by the techniques as they are totally different to the Ryu I study - especially the grappling from Seiza.

If you ever get the chance to attend a Seminar I recommend it.

Kenji Sensei is fairly short and I am quite tall - I'll always smile at the image of him Hanging off of the tip of my Bokken to illustrate the strength of my grip being imortant
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Arrow Yagyu Shingan-Ryu [New Website]

Yagyu Shingan-Ryu (Japan) have recently launched a new English language website. The URL is www.arakido.org

David Kawazu-Barber

Mekugi Guest

Likes (received)

Hi Jo,
    Would it be possible to ask who is teaching the seminar and who they are were taught by in Sato Sensei's groups? I looked at your website but couldn't see much associated with the Shingan Ryu and was wondering what you had managed to arrange to get the seminar up and running in the UK!
    Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

I've done a similar Seminar here in Sydney.

I'd heartily recommend it if you have the chance to go.
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Default Sato Kinbei

Sato Kinbei is associated with the Sendai line of YSR, known as Heiho. I believe he is also a director of the Kobudo Shinkokai (Japan Classical Budo Assoc.). The YouTube video links above, also include the title "Taijutsu" -- not to be mistaken for the Edo line of YSR, known as YSR Taijutsu, which is distinctly different in appearance.

David Kawazu-Barber

Likes (received)

Hi Jo,

Can you tell us more about Klein sensei? I didn't know he was a member of the Yagyu Shingan Ryu.

Regards,
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Hi guys,

Here's some info on Klein Sensei here http://www.nihonbudoakademie.de/

Brian Carpenter

Haruchi Umuchi Tsuzuchi !

Likes (received)

Default re peter klein and yagyu shingan ryu

I was researching old jiu jtsu and looking for a teachet to come and teach soem jiu jitsu I came across peter klein and he kindly offered to come over and teach, of course we said yes and we are bringing him over, he seems to be a nice man!! and i enclose the only info we have below, many thanks for brian for showing you his website!!!, i hadnt seen it!!!
    i believe this to be his lineage
    TAKENAGA Hayato (Founder)
    ITO Kusaburo
    KOYAMA Samon
    AIZAWA Token
    KATO Gonzo
    HOSHI Sadakichi
    TAKAHASHI Hikoyoshi
    SUZUKI Heikichi
    SUZUKI Sensaku
    SATO Kinbei
    KONO Akikazu

and here is the info on the school i was sent by peter!!!!
    YAGYU SHINGAN RYU

Yagyu Shingan Ryu Heijutsu was founded in the begining of the1600`s in Japan by the martial artist called TAKENAGA Hayato
    (1585-1637) from the region in Japan called Sendei.
    Takenaga had learned different Bujutsu(martial arts) styles such as the Shingan Ryu and Shindo Ryu, he had also studied the Shuza Ryu and Toda Ryu,
    before he refined these ideas which were the foremost princiiples which
    formulated the shingan Shingan Ryu.
    He moved to Edo (today Tokyo) and became a teacher to the
    famous Yagyu clan.
    Yagyu Muenori who watched the techniques of Takenaga and gave him the permission to use the name of the Yagyu clan for his martial arts.
    Takenaga called his style afterwards Yagyu Shingan Ryu.

Yagyu Shingan Ryu is a Sogo Bujutsu (complete martial arts system)
    which has weapons techniques and unarmed techniques.

The weapons of this style are Katana (sword), Wakizashi (short sword), Boshin
    (dagger), Naginata (helbard) Bo (staff), Hanenejibo (short stick), Jingama
    (sickle), Jutte (iron truncheon) and Tessen (fan).

In the original form the Jujutsu of this style had the following areas of study.

Suburi are the basis techniques of Kata that demonstrates defences from attack showing punches, strikes, kicks and ram techniques with the body.

HOSHI Teikishi was one of the headmasters of the school who formualetd 3 Kata with 7 combinations of techniques in each case. This Kata can be train alone or with a partner and are today the basic of all Yagyu Shingan Ryu branches.
    You can watch a video clip of this at this address http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tOZ0...0shingan%20ryu

Torite no Jutsu are techniques to arrest an enemy. This use`s Atemi and KansetsuWaza (joint locks).

Totte Jutsu are reversal techniques against joint locks or throws.

Kogusoku Totte is the training in amour. The fighter has Katana, Wakizashi and Boshin. It demonstrates the execution of techniques with the sword, and a part of the sword and throws with help of the sword.

Gyoi Dori are helpful restraints to secure a high ranking person against sword attacks.
    The sword attack will be stopped and the defender brings the attacker under
    control. The techniques are trained in both kneeling position, standing position
    and by walking.

Today exist different branches of Yagyu Shingan Ryu with different applications of techniques and different contents.

The line of Sato Kinbei is:

Hoshi Teikishi – Takahashi Hikoyoshi – Suzuki Heikichi – Suzuki Sensoku –
    Sato Kinbei – Kono Akikazu – peter klein

Sato Kinbei received in 1946 the Menkyo Kaiden in Yagyu Shingan Ryu from
    Suzuki Sensaku.

The rank system is: Shoden, Chuden, Okuden

It gives no Kyu or Dan ranks.

Other info I have tracked down peter says is of a small branch line!!!

basically thats your lot folks
    hopefuly if its a good seminar I and my students have lucked in andif its crap
    and once again we have been fed a lot ` bull**** by a high grade on koryu ju jitsu
    hopefully as he is part of I.M.A.F it will be a nice day
    perhaps you might like to come to the semianr?

pls emailme jo-kan@sacrespring.org.uk as we would love to have a semianr on niten ichi ryu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jo biggs
    i believe this to be his lineage
    TAKENAGA Hayato (Founder)
    He may represent a 'small branch line', but I am concerned that the entire lineage doesn't tie up. YSR was founded by Araki Mataemon. Perhaps Klein sensei can stop by E-Budo and fill us in on the seminar and what he will be teaching?

Quote Originally Posted by jo biggs
    pls emailme jo-kan@sacrespring.org.uk as we would love to have a semianr on niten ichi ryu
    You would need to speak to hombu in Japan for that. There are no menkyo practitioners in the UK.
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottUK
    YSR was founded by Araki Mataemon.
    This isn't the first time that I've seen someone else listed as the founder of Yagyu Shingan Ryu. From what I've gleaned from various websites, the Sendai line refers to someone else, perhaps one of Araki Mataemon's first-generation students, as its founder. If you follow this link you'll see a previous e-budo thread that touches on this question.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

well many thanks for that!!
    I spoke to steve delaney the other night and he was very informative
    and he knew of this ryu in japan.

all i can say as `newbie` is this is the info we have been passed and we are having a seminar on this date!! please come along and i`m sure peter klein will answer your questions

sorry i cant do better than that??

kindest
    jo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast