Likes Likes:  0

Thread: iaido sword

Likes (received)

Default iaido sword

I just got my new sword from australia. I wanted to use it for iaido, but i found out it is a little tip heavy. Everyone in my class uses better balanced swords for iaido, i was wondering if anyone here uses tip heavy swords for iaido also?
    Kind Regards,
    Jeremy Hagop

Likes (received)

How tip heavy is it?

Dimensions , tsuka length etc. There rare lots of variables
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

greetings,
    i am currently using a shinken, much thanks to the generosity of my sensei. The blade does not narrow considerably towards the kissaki, leading it to be quite tip heavy. This is good, as it helps build up my forearm strength. I feel that when i finally do get a nicely balanced shinken, i will appreciate it all the more, and my technique will have benifetted from it (i hope!) the shinken is a nice cutter though, you just have to remember to put the brakes on...
    AND, its better than using my iaito, which now feels like a toothpick in my hands.
    So i personally do not have any problems with using a tip heavy sword for the moment.
    best regards,
    sunny prosser

Likes (received)

I'd recommend being careful with your training on a significantly tip heavy sword. High repetition one handed cutting with such a weapon can lead to tendonitis if your technique isn't good, and maybe if it is. If you can't escape it, at least try to go slowly at first and build your way up a little bit at a time.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

A big mistake beginners make is swinging too hard and fast. This is especially bad with a tip-heavy sword. First be accurate, then add speed, then power. Remember what Miyamoto Musashi said, "the sword that cuts fast cuts nothing."
    Jack Bieler

"The best things can't be told; the second best are misunderstood; the third best are what we talk about." - after Heinrich Zimmer