Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remember this cat?

Likes (received)

Default Remember this cat?

www.hanshi.com

"Hanshi" Steve Kaufman, who did "translations" or Sun Tzu and Go Rin No Sho. Last time I checked on him he was "a founding father of American Karate." Now I read he studies iai, too, which he attempts to comment on in his version of the Muashi text. Anyone know who his iai teacher is, if he has one, or what his rank is? (He's a soke now, of course.)
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

That's rich Charlie!
    Did you read the part about "What is a hanshi?"
    Good for a laugh!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

There was actually a spotlight on budo forum with this guy a few years ago. I called him on his use of hanshi, he went away in a huff. It's no longer in the archives for whatever reason.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

dojo no hebi...

God that still cracks me up.
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Likes (received)

A Hanshi prefers anonymity unless something brings him to the forefront where he must use his inordinate talents.
    ....and the website is hanshi.com????!!! Superb! He's better than Billy Connelly!
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Maybe you should email him at <b>hanshi@hanshi.com</b>

Good thing he never calls himself that.
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Likes (received)

Is there no end to this dude?
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Smile

This was the funniest bit:

He is generally assisted by specially trained people, called "hoshi," who see to his every personal need and is protected by "kyoshi," warriors, who are dedicated to him for life.
    Hmmm... Does he realise that "hoshi" means "star" and "kyoshi" means "teacher?" hahaha! I just about died laughing when I read that!
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Who are dedicated to him for life? I think they're living in the wrong era.
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Does he teach martial arts?....nothing was listed under courses. I wanted to see some photos other than poses of him doing something remotely martial art related....I could care less about budo as a management tool...wtf?

Acknowledged as a Founding Father of American Karate.....By whom?
    J. Winter

Give in to the Dark Side!!!!

http://www.aikidoinoklahomacity.com/main.html

Likes (received)

I can never look at motivational speakers seriously after Chris Farley's SNL skit as "Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker":
    Well, I'm here to tell you that you're probably gonna find out, as you go out there, that you're not gonna amount to Jack Squat!!" &nbsp; You're gonna end up eating a steady diet of government cheese, and living in a van down by the river!".
    So you want to grow up to be a Hanshi?

We-e-e-elll.. la-de-freakin'-da!
    John McPartland
    Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!&nbsp; I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Likes (received)

I was reminded of him when doing a little Sun Tzu research. Came across this:

http://www.sonshi.com/kaufman.html

an interview with him from a site that I otherwise respect. Sigh! Here's an excerpt:

Sonshi.com: Name us a few concepts from Sun Tzu you personally think are most applicable for warriors -- whether they are businesspeople, martial artists, or military personnel -- in the modern world.

Kaufman: Essentially, I spell it all out on page 10 of my version of War. "It is always best to let the enemy kill himself." The entire book is valid for most people as well as warriors when a person understands what it actually is. Deception is a central point in the entire teaching along with the truth that it is not always necessary to physically kill or destroy an enemy. Also, how to use people to your own advantage which is very difficult to understand for most plebian mentalities who absolutely have no concept of the warrior mind but are nasty towards others thinking that that is the true way, or they attempt to practice meaningless ninja technique because that's what they learn in the movies.

So you plebians don't even bother. Later in the interview:

I keep my email doors open: hanshi@hanshi.com, and welcome any questions as long as they are grounded in functionality. I refuse to get into pissing contests. I am also available for consultation via strategy, motivation, and personal development seminars. I am interested in creating and hosting a mobile eMartialists Philosophical Institute that would focus on the higher morality and integrity of military philosophies presented throughout civilization via the internet. Also, an interactive periodic eZine that quotes from major books and extrapolates the issue I am studying at that moment. If anyone is interested in either of these projects they can email me and when I have enough names I will start doing it. The future holds many interesting things in store for me. My time has finally come and I am being approached by institutions and organizations to propound on the teachings of the masters while being considered one myself.
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Likes (received)

My time has finally come and I am being approached by institutions and organizations to propound on the teachings of the masters while being considered one myself.
    And man is he humble too! Why, have you ever seen anyone so humble as this guy?
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Talking

Damn, I thought you were talking about this guy: http://www.firebottle.com/flatpik/bio.html
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Default Clearly not...

Because at least the guitar Steve Kaufman is good at what he does... opps, did I say that out loud?

Be well,
    Jigme
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast