Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Books: "Deity and the Sword" (TSKSR)

Likes (received)

Neil Hawkins (12-01-2004 04:17 AM ) wrote:
    How about we get back to the topic of the thread and discuss the merit of the books.
    I find it very interesting how discussion of Otake's book seems almost inevitably to digress into questions of legitimacy, lineage, and affiliation (etc.) of so-called TSKSR groups around the globe. The books themselves actually can be read as though they participate in this same kind of discussion. It just so happens that the 3 volume set by Otake Risuke titled Mukei bunkazai Katori shintoryu (English title, The Deity and the Sword: Katori Shintoryu) was published in 1977. That same year saw the reprint of a book by Sugino Yoshio and Ito Kikue titled Tenshin shoden Katori shintoryu budo kyohan (A Textbook of Tenshin Shoden Katori Shintoryu Martial Training; originally published 1941). Since both of these books appeared (or re-appeared) in print during the same year, they were practically in dialog with one another. For this reason the contrasts between them can be very telling.

First, Otake's 3 volume book is NOT a textbook. In fact, it states (direct quote): "The Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu Prohibits any person who does not hold a teaching license (Kyoshi menkyo) from using the contents of this book as a manual for the instruction of others in the techniques of this ryu, and to use the name of this ryu in any manner whatsoever." Rather than trying to provide a guide to the practice of TSKSR, therefore, it strives to document the character of TSKSR martial training. Moreover, it contains many photographs and brief essays that emphasize the geographic location where TSKSR developed and continues to this day. For example, there are photos and descriptions of Iizasa Ienao's gravesite, the Iizasa family training hall, the Katori Grand Shrine, and so forth. All of these elements suggest that TSKSR exists only in that corner of Chiba Pref. Finally, the book states (in the Japanese language section) that in 1960 when the Japanese government first recognized TSKSR the government named 3 people as the embodiment of TSKSR: Iizasa Yasusada (20th generation soke), Hayashi Yazaemon (Otake's teacher), and Otake Risuke. This tidbit of information clearly is included to announce to anyone who might be interested that no one else can represent TSKSR or use that name. Otake's volumes never mention Sugino by name. This deliberate omission ("death by silence"), along with the other features mentioned above, draws a clear contrast with Sugino.

I do not own a copy of book by Sugino and Ito. I remember reading it in the bookstores at the time when it was reprinted and thinking to myself that it might be worth owning if only because it seems so strange compared to what Otake had published. In those days, though, I could not afford to purchase books just for their historical oddity. The book originally had appeared in 1941. As indicated by its title, it is a textbook with instructions describing how kata should be performed. If I remember correctly, the preface (I guess it was by the 19th generation soke) draws a direct link to Japan's on-going war effort and the hope that widespread training in TSKSR would contribute to Japanese military success. Similar sentiments were common in books of the war period. Even though in those days I had no basis for a reasoned judgment, the instructions in the book struck me as being overly simplified and watered down for mass consumption. This simplified style probably reflected Sugino's background with the Kodokan, which had helped pioneer modern methods for the rapid acquisition of martial techniques. Given the military temper of the times, one can well imagine that the soke of the time would have felt that it was his patriotic duty to endorse Sugino's approach. And one can also imagine that after the war ended he might have wanted to withdraw that endorsement. Who knows?

In short, Otake's volumes are like tourist guidebook to a famous whiskey distillery. They are designed to make readers want to visit the distillery in person and to imbibe a dram of rare, well-aged single malt whisky served fresh from the barrel. They advertises a taste and place that exists nowhere else. Sugino's book, if memory serves me correctly, is more akin to a "do it yourself guide" to brewing bathtub gin. Each type of book serves a different purpose. Each type will find its own audience. And may each audience enjoy their own pleasures. At one time it might have served some purpose for both books to share a common name, as if emphasizing that bathtub gin can be made witht the same recipe as used at the distillery. For today's audience, though, using the same recipe (even if it is the same) is beside the point. Today's readers want to learn how to distinguish imitations from what can be found only at the distillery. For that purpose, Otake's volumes can be recommended.
    William Bodiford
    Professor
    Dept. of Asian Languages & Cultures
    UCLA

Likes (received)

Angry Way too spendy!

For that purpose, Otake's volumes can be recommended.
    Except that when I saw them in a store for the first time yesterday, each one was $275!!! And they only had Vol. 2 and 3. Amazon/Abe-books/ebay are all the same price right now. No, I didn't lay down 550 dollars in lieu of rent, but I kinda wanted to...

Thank you for the post Prof. Bodiford. A very good critical read. The books looked very interesting--maybe one of these days I'll be offered a research stipend...Well maybe I should work on tenure status first .
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

[you wrote
    He has told anyone who asks, in both private conversations and interviews, that the Soke has authorised ONE man to teach outside Japan, Phil Relnick (perhaps the Italian gentleman also, I can't remember).)

Mr. Finny
    Only to tell to you that I am not Italian. I am Spanish and indeed I have the permission of the Soke and of the Shihan Otake sensei to teach. But I believe that these matters are reserved and only people to emit trials should be those that I have mentioned previously.I don't want to contribute to increase these polemics. Please consider this small explanation like my first and last exhibition in this matter.Sincerely.

Francisco Comerón.

Likes (received)

So, let's say that someone wanted to get Sugino's book because of its 'historical oddity', where might one begin to look for it?

I'd love to get Otake's books, but for their 'price oddity'.
    Matthew Snowden
    -The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight.

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

They are getting a tad expensive. I got my copies in the mid eighties and they were an outlandish 470.00 Aust then. They are damn good though.........
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

Ooops- that was meant to be $70.00.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Likes (received)

In the mid-eighties in the UK, they were about twenty six pounds a volume. Mine are all softback with the orange cover. I would have loved to have gotten the black hardback versions.

Likes (received)

Folks
    I remember when Otake Sensei decided to give Francisco permission to teach, it was before the only other person authorized "Phil Relnick". Both are excellent practitioners and well respected by Otake Sensei and the Soke. If you get a chance to train with them, you shouldn't miss the opportunity.

There are still Dojo with Sugino ha in Japan and one of Otake's prior students also teaches on his own. But I never heard Otake Sensei utter a bad word about them, even when I asked about them. I trained for awhile but got too wrapped up in Sekiguchi Ryu Batto Jutsu, which I really love. Last comment on TSKSR!

Carl McClafferty
    PS I have the three volumne set in hard back addressed to me from Otake Sensei, guess I better keep it safe. :~)
    Carl McClafferty

Likes (received)

Ya know, Carl, Christmas is coming up. And I could send you a few bucks for photocopies

Merry Christmas
    Matthew Snowden
    -The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Steve Delaney
    ...I would have loved to have gotten the black hardback versions.
    I used to have the three-volume set in the hardbound edition (but I think the covers were blue, not black. Could be confusing with Draeger's books though). All three, along with many other books, were destroyed in a flood, and at the time I didn't have the resources to replace them. Had I known then how rare and valuable they would become I would have scrimped and scavenged to come up with the funds for replacement.

I now have them in softcover, and consider them a valuable part of my library. I particularly like the fact that they are bilingual, since I am beginning my study of the Japanese language.

As stated above, they are not "training manuals," but rather texts on the history and traditions of one of Japan's "Intangible Cultural Assets."
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4