Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Yagu ryu and Musashi

Likes (received)

Default Yagu ryu and Musashi

I know you all must get tired of talking about Shinmen Musashi, so please excuse me, but I am really curious:

Is it true (historically verified) that Shinmen Musashi's only defeat was to the founder of Yagu shinkage ryu, a man whose life he spared, only to have his life spared by the same man years later?

What influence do you think they had on each other's methods?

Neil Stewart

Likes (received)

Closest I've ever heard was that Musashi made a call on Yagyu Muneyoshi Sekishusai. That night Sekishusai sent a flower to Muashi's room, Musashi examined the stem of the flower and saw that it had been cut by a sword, tried to mimic the cut, couldn't, and left. I've read that Musashi later went to Edo a few times and rumors abounded about a match between him and Sekishusai's son Munenori, but nothing ever came out of that either. Far as I know Musashi never crossed swords with any of the Yagyu swordsmen, at least none of the Yagyu family members anyway.
    Increase My Killing Power, Eh?
    -Homer Simpson

Likes (received)

Closest I've ever heard was that Musashi made a call on Yagyu Muneyoshi Sekishusai. That night Sekishusai sent a flower to Muashi's room, Musashi examined the stem of the flower and saw that it had been cut by a sword, tried to mimic the cut, couldn't, and left.
    Hi Chris,

That story came from Eji Yoshikawa's novel.

Cheers
    Han

Likes (received)

Default Re: Yagu ryu and Musashi

Originally posted by Ka1yama
    Is it true (historically verified) that Shinmen Musashi's only defeat was to the founder of Yagu shinkage ryu, a man whose life he spared, only to have his life spared by the same man years later?
    In Jodo, the tradition is that Musashi's only defeat was at the hands of Muso Gonnosuke. The story says Musashi defeated Gonnosuke in a duel and spared his life, and Muso later returned the favour. To my knowledge the story is not verifiable to academic standards.
    Jack Bieler

"The best things can't be told; the second best are misunderstood; the third best are what we talk about." - after Heinrich Zimmer

Likes (received)

Default Re: Yagu ryu and Musashi

Originally posted by Ka1yama
    ...Is it true (historically verified) that Shinmen Musashi's only defeat was to the founder of Yagu shinkage ryu, a man whose life he spared, only to have his life spared by the same man years later?
    I think you're confusing two different stories.

Yagyu Munenori, Miyamoto Musashi, and Takuan Soho were all contemporaries, and their writings are often read by swordsmen today. Takuan knew both Munenori and Musashi, but I don't know that there is proof that Munenori and Musashi ever met.

The story of Musashi's "only defeat" is, as JackB said, a tradition in the Shindo Muso Ryu, but is not wholly accepted. The earlier match, in which he defeated the bo-wielding Gonnosuke (and thereby inspired Gonnosuke to develope jojutsu), has more support, but I still don't know if it could be considered "historically verified."

Perhaps Hyaku will weigh in on this one.
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 19th October 2004 at 07:44.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---