Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A list of Japanese language study books for everyone: Beginners to advanced

Likes (received)

When will the mods combine this and the following thread? They have the same name and subject...

Anyhow, my mom got this for me for christmas. "Japanese in Mangaland," by Marc Bernabe. It is meant to be an introductory textbook that teaches fundamentals using manga examples and language. While it is a fun book, it is not so comprehensive and I would recommend it for the beginner who hates learning language, but is interested in self-study and/or (obviously) manga. It has a unique presentation, but I think it is quickly eclipsed by some other texts listed here. I saw it at Borders the other day, but it was in the manga section. It is worth flipping through just to see his treatment, but again, I think it is not suited for serious comprehension. However, the new words and many onamatopoeaiaeiai (or whatever) found in manga can present difficulty to non-native speakers. Or anyone who isn't hip to the lingo.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by nicojo
    When will the mods combine this and the following thread? They have the same name and subject...
    Look again.

A list of Japansese language study books for everyone: Beginners to advanced
    A list of Japanese language study websites for everyone: Beginners to advanced
    This one is about books, and the other is about Web sites.
    Also, this one has "Japanese" spelled wrong.

Time for ?

Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Uhm, hate to say this but you've got mud on your face.

Oh. Hey. Well then.

Cheers Brian.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Smile Because I asked for two...

Originally posted by nicojo
    [B]When will the mods combine this and the following thread? They have the same name and subject...
    Hi!

The mods won't because I asked for two seperate threads. Saburo-san posted a list of books in my other thread. So, I got the idea to split it into two threads. One for books and one for websites. I asked then, for his post to be moved to this new thread, since it was about books and not websites. This makes it much easier for people to find what they need.

Read the title again... it does say books for this thread.

So, please only post Japanese language study books in this thread, and Japanese Language learning websites in the other.

Thanks!
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Brian Owens
    Look again.

This one is about books, and the other is about Web sites.
    Also, this one has "Japanese" spelled wrong.

Time for ?

It does? I'll tell George-san. He's the one who put it up for me. He'll fix it.
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Default Shinbunka nihongo

Hi all,

The book we are using here for beginning students is Shinbunka shokyû nihongo 1 & 2, and on intermediate level Nyûapurôchi chûkyûnihongo.

The problem with them is that there's only japanese with no explanations in english or any other language, so you'd need a teacher at least in the beginning levels... The good point is that you really have to learn to read kana and kanji, so even if it takes time you get plenty of practise.
    Laeticia Söderman

"No ma'am, talking to your plants is a completely healthy habit to have, research even shows that they grow better when you talk to them. However, when they start not only talking back to you... but telling you to kill the neighbors cat, then there might be a problem." -Vera

Likes (received)

Some other books I've found useful for reference and possibly study (you could learn from them, but it isn't their main purpose) are:

A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar

and

A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar

by Seiichi Makino and Michio Tsutsui.

I wasn't really able to find them off of Amazon.com or Half.com back when I got them, but I ordered them from http://www.sasugabooks.com.

They really are a pretty handy tool when you forget how something is supposed to be used. In my opinion, they really are a great aid to brush up your grammar.
    -John Oberle-
    Personal martial arts site:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Likes (received)

Easy Japanese by Jack Steward is priceless.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoru
    It does? I'll tell George-san. He's the one who put it up for me. He'll fix it.
    The spelling mistake has been corrected.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

I've been taking Japanese with the Japan-America Society of Houston. Our class uses Genki

http://www.amazon.com/Genki-Integrat...e=UTF8&s=books

There's an accompanying workbook which focuses on Kana and basic Kanji. I've had a lot more luck with this book than with others, but it's probably just because I'm speaking frequently in a classroom environment, rather than just reading it on the couch!

I bought Yookoso on Ebay last year, which I believe is used by universities, and it's also very good.
    Kevin Geaslin
    Genbukan Ninpo & Kokusai Jujutsu

Likes (received)

Default Second a Few Thoughts

I am just getting back into Nihongo after a decade break. I happen to have 4 native speakers outside my office door which helps. From personal self-study experience/suffering I would agree that Genki is a good book if you can bounce your work off of somebody. Additionally, the dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar is great. I think of it as language kata sometimes. The sentence patterns get ingrained. I am no wizard, but find that I do make progress with hard work with these texts.
    Stephen Baker

"Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up, never give in." Doctor Who

Likes (received)

Tuttle's dictionary of kanji is also an invaluable source of info for deciphering characters, and Kodansha also has some good ones.
    Kevin Geaslin
    Genbukan Ninpo & Kokusai Jujutsu

Likes (received)

Default Ei-Wa Dictionary

After far too much time researching dictionaries and reading reviews I recently purchased the Kodansha Communicative Dictionary. For Ei-Wa (English to Japanese) its great. I have been asking my Japanese friends some questions and they too agree that it is first rate. One of my victims is a former Japanese language teacher and agreed that the book is right up there as very helpful. More as I discover it.
    Stephen Baker

"Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up, never give in." Doctor Who

Likes (received)

Hi I am learning japanese language but I am totally confused, can you differentiate between kana and katakana? I am totally confuse regarding this scripts.
    [URL="http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/"]learn japanese[/URL] language free online :):):)

Likes (received)

Oh Puh-lease... Brad12 is a spammer.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast