Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Iaido in South Carolina?

rurouni69 Guest

Talking Iaido Instructor

Can anyone help me find an Iaido Instructor near Lancaster, SC[/U]? I'm wanting to start Learning the art of Iaito and I cannot find an instructor. Can somebody help me??

A Bailey[U]

Likes (received)

Have you tried USAdojo.com ? or have you tried doing a search on like Google or Dogpile, putting in the terms Iaido Lancaster SC or Iaijutsu Lancaster SC .

Or how about using the Yellow Pages and looking up any Martial arts suppliers and calling them and asking if they know of anyone teaching Japanese sword around your area. you would be surprised how much those supply guys know.
    Keven Cecil
    Iaika
    Musu Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu
    www.whiteherondojo.net

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Ronin055
    ...Martial arts suppliers...asking if they know of anyone teaching Japanese sword around your area. you would be surprised how much those supply guys know.
    I don't know how good a suggestion that is. You might get referred to someone who buys a lot of supplies but isn't legit.

I think asking here is a very good idea, considering the large number of members from around the county (and around the world).

I don't know anything about schools in your area, but be patient and you might get a reply from someone who does.

Good luck.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Hi Rurouni69-san,

I am on it. I am searching right now for you.
    South Carolina is one of those states that has practically nothing. But, you are next to a state that has lots. Am checking to see what is near you.

I do second what Yagyu Kenshi-san said though. That is the last place I would look. Sorry Cecil-sensei.

I will be back.
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Smile Here you go!

Hi!

Ok, I'm back. You are in luck! I found a couple dojos less than 150 miles from you. They are all in North Carolina and one in SC. I used a map and I checked to see what was nearest to Lancaster, SC.

As to dojos in SC, there is only one. A Kendo/Iaido dojo in Charleston. There just isn't any Koryu in your state it seems. I've searched for others in SC before and each time, I never find anything. I'm sorry. But, you are close enough to NC, that you have options.

First... No complaining about having to drive a couple hours to a dojo. I won't feel a bit sorry for you, since my dojo is a little more than two hours away, and so I can only go twice a month. Getting there is part of the training. So... Here are the dojos in both SC and NC.

SC Kendo/Iaido dojo
    -------------------------

SEUSKF
    Charleston Kendo and Iaido Club

http://saluki.cee.citadel.edu/kendo/ckic/

Charleston, SC
    e-mail: ogawam@musc.edu

This dojo is about 140 miles from you. A bit far, but I put it anyway. This one is the farthest of them all.

--------------------

Kendo/Iaido Dojos in NC
    -----------------------------

Charlotte Kendo Club
    Carolina Gymnastics & Martial Arts

http://home.earthlink.net/~tonymary/kendo.html

14017 E. Independence Blvd.
    Matthews, NC
    Su 9am-12pm

This dojo is just a bit more than 25 miles from you, according to the map I used. This one is the closest to Lancaster.

------------------

Triangle Kendo and Iaido Club in Raleigh, NC

http://www.trianglekendoiaido.org/

All contact information is on this site. They do Seitei Gata Iaido, which is not a Koryu(Old tradition, classical Japanese sword art) Iaido sword art. It's fine. Just thought you should know there is a difference.

This dojo has several locations. Please look on the contacts page. There seems to be one near you, perhaps. The rep of the Univ. of NC dojo has a 704 area code ph. number, so that dojo may be in that area, near you.

But, the Raleigh dojo location is only about maybe 115 miles from you give or take, according to the map I used for that. That's maybe a 2 hour drive, I think. You need to call and ask what dojo teaches what, depending if you want Iaido.(Non-Koryu. Still fine!)

---------------------

North Raleigh Kendo Club

http://www.karateinternational.net/kendo.php

@ Karate International
    4720 Hargrove Rd.
    Raleigh, NC
    W 6:30-8pm Sa 9am-10:30am
    e-mail: RaleighKendo@aol.com

Different Kendo dojo, a bit farther than the Triangle Kendo dojo.

---------------------

Note: All the Kendo dojos listed here are members of the AUSKF(All US Kendo Federation). For kendo, this is what you want.

----------------------

Koryu Iaido dojo
    ---------------------

To get to a Koryu art, you will have to drive more than an hour away.

MJER(Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido) in Cullowhee, North Carolina.

http://www.eishinkai.homestead.com/index.html

This one is in Cullowhee, NC,(Since it also lists other dojos out of NC.), according to this page. All contact information and what MJER Iaido is, is on this page.

This dojo is approximately 125 miles from Lancaster. It is near Franklin, NC. Driving time, a bit over 2 hours depending on how you get there and on traffic.

Huff-sensei teaches in this dojo. You would never be sorry you studied under him. He is supposed to be excellent.

---------------------

Well, these are the ones that looked the most accessable. The others were, what I feel, ridiculously far. (About two others.)

You ought to go visit several different dojos to see what dojo fits you best. Each sensei is different. And, you should go watch practices of all three of the styles: The Koryu MJER Iaido, the Seitei Gata Iaido and Kendo. That way, you will be able to make a wise decision of what will interest you the most.

Please be sure to call the sensei first, to ask for permission to watch a practice. This is good etiquette. The standard thing is for a prospective student to watch a practice and talk to the sensei first.

Just remember, if you really want Iaido, you will drive the distance to get to it. BTW, Kendo is VERY cool! You shuld try it too. That is the closest thing you can get, to Kenjutsu right now. Our paired kata is derived from Kenjutsu.

Well, I hope this helps! Good luck!

Sincerely,
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

I guess youve never been to the kind of supply stores that I have been to. The ones where the owners have seen em come and seen em go. They know whos real and whos fake. But oh well.

My main point was to give the person above an idea where to look on their own. You know, and actually find a dojo to work in rather than let someone find a dojo for them to work in. Make them own it. If they dont want to look, they probaby arent to serious. Internet protestations aside.

Really, how many times have you found something for someone, and they are all,, oh but its so far away.. etc etc..

Well any way thats my two cents.
    Keven Cecil
    Iaika
    Musu Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu
    www.whiteherondojo.net

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Kaoru
    I am on it. I am searching right now for you.South Carolina is one of those states that has practically nothing. But, you are next to a state that has lots. Am checking to see what is near you.
    You're right about that. South Carolina has absolutely nothing. Well, nearly absolute.

I did a search a while back and the closest thing I found was something in Smyrna, Georgia. I think that's the city, anyway. I'm sure that's quite a drive from Lancaster.
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Yep, South Kakelacky has very little that I'm aware of.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Smile

Hi Cecil-sensei,

I guess youve never been to the kind of supply stores that I have been to. The ones where the owners have seen em come and seen em go. They know whos real and whos fake. But oh well.
    Well, no. But, a person still should be careful because they do have every MA loving person come in and out, and you don't know which store owner actually knows what is/isn't legit, if you are new to JSA. I know the shop owner here hasn't a clue in my town.

My main point was to give the person above an idea where to look on their own. You know, and actually find a dojo to work in rather than let someone find a dojo for them to work in. Make them own it. If they dont want to look, they probaby arent to serious. Internet protestations aside.

Really, how many times have you found something for someone, and they are all,, oh but its so far away.. etc etc..
    I know, I know... LOTS of times. That's why I now tell them I don't feel sorry for them one bit because my dojo is so far. I figure if they want it bad enough, they'll find a way to get there. Well, I do see your points. I know you feel that way. But this time, I knew he would never ever find anything there, so that is why I gave him help right away. Most people never think to look in the state next to them.
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Post Iaido Instructor

Okay, please, bear with me, this is my first post here. My instructor and long time friend is an Iaido instructor, from Japan, and he does go to South Carolina regularly. It might be possible to arrange something if you are still looking. He has a masters in Elementary and secondary Education, from Clemson University in South Carolina, also. He's a good teacher.
    Shiro Shintaku studied Iaido as part of the kobudo when he studied Aikido, from Hikitsuchi Michio, Hanshi.
    Eishin Ryu, Iaido. I believe he said he had fourth dan in it. He also got pointers from Seiyu Oyata, I was there, I saw them several times.
    He has a web site, http://shinichiryu.com for interested persons to contact him, or you can e mail him.
    Iaido is only one of the arts he teaches and so you will need to go to the links for his schedule in South Carolina. I don't remember the name of the Iaido instructor in Wakayama, with whom he began study, so you might want to ask, or I can ask for you, if you like, as he will be in my area this weekend.
    Hope this helps, too. Iaido is a wonderful art.

Sharon Hayakawa
    Sharon Hayakawa

Likes (received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ShuriHayakawa
    Okay, please, bear with me, this is my first post here. My instructor and long time friend is an Iaido instructor, from Japan, and he does go to South Carolina regularly. It might be possible to arrange something if you are still looking. He has a masters in Elementary and secondary Education, from Clemson University in South Carolina, also. He's a good teacher.
    Shiro Shintaku studied Iaido as part of the kobudo when he studied Aikido, from Hikitsuchi Michio, Hanshi.
    Eishin Ryu, Iaido. I believe he said he had fourth dan in it. He also got pointers from Seiyu Oyata, I was there, I saw them several times.
    He has a web site, http://shinichiryu.com for interested persons to contact him, or you can e mail him.
    Iaido is only one of the arts he teaches and so you will need to go to the links for his schedule in South Carolina. I don't remember the name of the Iaido instructor in Wakayama, with whom he began study, so you might want to ask, or I can ask for you, if you like, as he will be in my area this weekend.
    Hope this helps, too. Iaido is a wonderful art.

Sharon Hayakawa

Hi there,

I tried the link, but it was broken. It said, "Not found." Could anyone else get through?

It is called MJER - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. Unless there is something called Eishin Ryu that I haven't heard about yet.(Quite possible. Guys? Please?)

A Master's in Education doesn't matter. It is the qualifications in his Ryu to teach that matter. What is the 4 dan for? Aikido or MJER? Dan rank does not come as a package deal. He'd have to have Dan or Kyu in each art. How long has he studied Iaido? And, has(and is he still) he trained consistantly with a sensei? Who is his sensei currently? Just curious...

Bummer I can't get this stuff from the site. Because I can't open it, I have to ask...

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Has anyone else here of this person? If he is the real deal, I'd love to add him to my list of Koryu dojo.
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoru
    ...It is called MJER - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. Unless there is something called Eishin Ryu that I haven't heard about yet. (Quite possible. Guys? Please?)

A Master's in Education doesn't matter. It is the qualifications in his Ryu to teach that matter. What is the 4 dan for? Aikido or MJER? Dan rank does not come as a package deal. He'd have to have Dan or Kyu in each art. How long has he studied Iaido? And, has(and is he still) he trained consistantly with a sensei? Who is his sensei currently? Just curious...

Bummer I can't get this stuff from the site. ...Sorry for asking so many questions.
    I can clarify or amplify a couple of points.

First, Seiyu Oyata is a karate (or ryukyu kempo) teacher, not a sword teacher, AFAIK. So not really relevant to this thread.

Second, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu has also been variously known as Hasegawa Ryu and Eishin Ryu -- after the 7th headmaster, Hasegawa Eishin -- and earlier on as Hayashizaki Ryu, after the founder, Hayashizaki Jinsuke Shigenobu. Today it is still often referred to informally simply as Eishin Ryu.

Third (and this is only an opinion), I do find a Master's degree in education to be of interest. Not all who have skill in a subject are good at teaching it, and having teaching credentials might show that a teacher, in addition to mastery of a Budo, also has knowledge of the general principles of teaching. The combination of the two can be a powerful tool.

Lastly, I believe Ms. Hayakawa was trying to provide a link to the Web site for Ten Shin Ichi Ryu, a modern composite martial art founded by Shintaku Shiro. Their Web site is http://tenshinichiryu.com (note the similarity to the broken link provided by Ms. Hayakawa). You might also want to go directly to their Iai page at http://tenshinichiryu.com/iaido.

Curiously, that Website says that Shintaku Shiro uses the title Doshu, and translates that as "founder." This conflicts with my understanding of the term, which I believe translates more closely to "chief instructor" or "headmaster/headmistress."

Here's what Aikido Journal has to say about "Doshu" --
    Leader of the Way; a term designating the leader of a school or group, martial or otherwise. In the case of aikido, the first Doshu was founder Morihei UESHIBA. The Second and present Doshu, is Kisshomaru UESHIBA. The Third Doshu designate, is Moriteru UESHIBA, grandson of the founder.
    Not sure if all the above helps, or just creates more confusion, but there it is.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I have to admit to being curious as to the rank of individual in question. Specifically as to the organization. 4th dan isn't really an instructors rank within my the MJER branch that I am part of. 5th dan is really the lowest rank for an instructor and that's pretty bottom fo the totem pole. The first teaching certificate comes AFTER 6th dan.

That said, a 4th dan has a LOT to offer brand new students in the way of instruction. And as time goes by, presumably the 4th dan would advance in rank, and hold an instructors rank by the time it really became an issue for students.

Now all of that is predicated on ranks awarded by the ZNIR and Seitokai. It's entirely possible, indeed likely, that the individual in question achieved his 4th dan in MJER as part of another organization, many of which rank a bit slower than we do and that changes the equation more than a bit. That's why I was curious what organization issued his rank.

And Carolyn,
    MJER is a convenient abbreviation online, but not all that easy to say outloud. The traditional shorthand for MJER when spoken is just Eishin Ryu. It's a pretty safe bet that when someone is referring to Eishin Ryu, they mean MJER.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoru
    Hi there,

I tried the link, but it was broken. It said, "Not found." Could anyone else get through?

It is called MJER - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. Unless there is something called Eishin Ryu that I haven't heard about yet.(Quite possible. Guys? Please?)

Bummer I can't get this stuff from the site. Because I can't open it, I have to ask...

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Has anyone else here of this person? If he is the real deal, I'd love to add him to my list of Koryu dojo.
    Hello, I would guess it was MJER. He has been in the martial arts for over 40 years. No he is not a fake, his ranks are all legitimet. He has a 4th dan in Goju Ryu as well, and a 7th dan in Ryukyu Kempo. He also holds dan rank in Aikido from Hikitsuchi hanshi to my understanding, but im not sure what rank, but it could b easily found out.
    --josh

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    I can clarify or amplify a couple of points.

First, Seiyu Oyata is a karate (or ryukyu kempo) teacher, not a sword teacher, AFAIK. So not really relevant to this thread.

Second, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu has also been variously known as Hasegawa Ryu and Eishin Ryu -- after the 7th headmaster, Hasegawa Eishin -- and earlier on as Hayashizaki Ryu, after the founder, Hayashizaki Jinsuke Shigenobu. Today it is still often referred to informally simply as Eishin Ryu.

Third (and this is only an opinion), I do find a Master's degree in education to be of interest. Not all who have skill in a subject are good at teaching it, and having teaching credentials might show that a teacher, in addition to mastery of a Budo, also has knowledge of the general principles of teaching. The combination of the two can be a powerful tool.

Lastly, I believe Ms. Hayakawa was trying to provide a link to the Web site for Ten Shin Ichi Ryu, a modern composite martial art founded by Shintaku Shiro. Their Web site is http://tenshinichiryu.com (note the similarity to the broken link provided by Ms. Hayakawa). You might also want to go directly to their Iai page at http://tenshinichiryu.com/iaido.

Curiously, that Website says that Shintaku Shiro uses the title Doshu, and translates that as "founder." This conflicts with my understanding of the term, which I believe translates more closely to "chief instructor" or "headmaster/headmistress."

Here's what Aikido Journal has to say about "Doshu" --

Not sure if all the above helps, or just creates more confusion, but there it is.
    Thanks for posting the link. But yes thats it. I am not sure how he translates japanese (Doshu) to english, but as I remember it was unique. But he is japanese, and is educated (formally) from the united states in Education and language, so i trust is judgment. His wife actually runs the site, and she is pretty knowlagable, but it might have been simplified for the sire imo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast