Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nakamura Taizaburo sensei's 1985 video newly released

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Nakamura Ryu Batto-do

by Nakamura Taizaburo, Hanshi 10th dan, Battodo.

Based on the sword method of the Japanese Imperial Army's Toyama School of swordsmanship, Nakamura Ryu is an entirely combat-effective method that has survived into modern times.

Presented here in its entirety for the first time in the West by its founder, Taizaburo Nakamura, it was recorded in 1985 and has a soundtrack in Japanese which scarcely detracts from its value as learning tool so graphic is its presentation.

JUST RELEASED $39.95 Call Toll Free 1 800 717 6288
    ==============
    Forum Members,

Well, I was finally able to get Nakamura sensei's permission to release his 1985 videotape outside Japan (it only took 5 years ) David Chambers of Tsunami Video (and Dragon Times) is the sole agent for this video. We have received the Master Tape and its quality is fantastic -- much better than the pirated copies changing hands (heck, even the one Nakamura sensei gave me was very poor quality).

Tsunami Video was originally going to translate it into English, but couldn't afford the translator's fee. If the first 100 sell well, I'm told that an English translation will happen.

The video was filmed in 1985 at Sojiji -- one of two main headquarter temples for Soto Zen Buddhism. Contents include:

Happo-no-kamae [eight kamae]
    Happogiri [eight cuts]
    Hasshu-no-noto [eight resheathing methods]
    Eight Toyama Ryu Kata
    Eight Nakamura Ryu Kata
    Renzoku tameshigiri -- continuous cutting -- by Nakamura sensei
    Six kumitachi by Sato Shimeo sensei and Suzuki Kunio sensei
    Basic tameshigiri by Sato and Suzuki sensei

The opening shows the Nippon-Issha Hayashizaki Iai Jinja [Japan's Only Iai Shrine "Hayashizaki Jinja"]. The ending shows the huge, polished memorial stone (Nakamura sensei's family grave) donated by his students -- it is signed by three Prime Ministers.

Some changes in waza have since taken place, but the core techniques are valuable for anyone wanting to study Nakamura Taizaburo sensei's method of battodo and Toyama Ryu iaido.

Regards,
    Guy

Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

I bought this tape in Japan 4 or 5 yrs ago. I just got a dozen in the shop for sale, took it home last night to watch it not knowing it was the same one. What a surprise! It is worth the money. Oh did I mention I have them? Oops. Bob Elder
    Rich and Stress Free

Likes (received)

I should mention this just in case some readers become confused: When I say David Chambers is the sole agent, I mean he is the distributor and holds the master tape. Authorized copies can be obtained from Bob Elder and others who obtain the tape from David Chambers.

Hey, St. Bob, thanks for the tenugui I received yesterday.

Regards,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo