Likes Likes:  0

Thread: sword art styles

Likes (received)

Default sword art styles

Does anyone know what school of Japanese swordsmanship would be ideal for a 6"2 guy like me to use a 28.85 inch blade? Ive been told there are ryus that prefer using shorter blades, i just dont know what their names are.
    Kind Regards,
    Jeremy Hagop

Likes (received)

Default Re: sword art styles

Originally posted by jezah81
    Does anyone know what school of Japanese swordsmanship would be ideal for a 6"2 guy like me...
    Generally, whatever legitimate school is close enough to you for you to attend. You're lucky if you have even one, let alone a choice. (Unless you live in Seattle, the Northeast US, or parts of Japan.)

If you find a good teacher, use the sword you have until you can get one better suited for your new-found style (unless it already is), or follow your sensei's advice if he or she doesn't want you to use what you have.

Ive been told there are ryus that prefer using shorter blades, i just dont know what their names are.
    This won't be an all-inclusive list, of course,but a few examples off the top of my head:

Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu is known for somewhat shorter than average blades. Kendo (kata and iai) and Muso Shinden Ryu sort of hit the middle of the road. Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu favors somewhat longer than average swords. Kage Ryu has some really BIG monsters.

If I'm wrong on any of these I'm sure someone more familiar will pipe right up.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

...a 28.85 inch blade...
    BTW, a 28.85 inch nagasa would be a 2.4.5 in the traditional Japanese Shuku.Bu.Sun system (also called a 2.45 shaku). That's the longest blade available in many off-the-shelf iaito and shinsakuto models. When looking for longer blades you either have to settle for fewer choices or pay a lot more for custom or semi-custom work.

Tozando and SDK Supplies both offer (or at least used to offer) iaito up to 2.6.5, and if you search you can find them up to 2.8 from time to time.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Does anyone know what school of Japanese swordsmanship would be ideal for a 6"2 guy like me to use a 28.85 inch blade?
    I just realized; you're currently practicing MJER, aren't you? What does your present sensei think about the sword you have?
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Thanks for your reply. I have spoken to sensei about this matter. He says ideally i should be training with a 78-80cm blade. The 2-4-5 blade im using now isnt a iaito, it is a shinsakuto. He thinks there shouldnt be much problem though because he feels the weight and balance makes up for the length. I was wandering if Nakamura Ryu and Toyama Ryu would be more suitable for me and my sword? Any thoughts...?
    Kind Regards,
    Jeremy Hagop

Likes (received)

Thanks for your reply. I have spoken to sensei about this matter. He says ideally i should be training with a 78-80cm blade.
    Yeah, that would be a 2.6 - 2.6.5.

The 2-4-5 blade im using now isnt a iaito, it is a shinsakuto. He thinks there shouldnt be much problem though because he feels the weight and balance makes up for the length.
    Weight and balance are only part of the length equation. Equally important is the length itself, since this will affect your draw and return; your arm won't be as straight at full draw as someone with either shorter arms or a longer blade, for example.

I was wandering if Nakamura Ryu and Toyama Ryu would be more suitable for me and my sword? Any thoughts...?
    Are those available near you?

Nathan Scott or Guy Power would be better able than I to answer this question, but I believe that since Toyama Ryu grew around the needs of the 20th Century Imperial Army, which issued standardized swords to most soldiers so equipped, that a 2.4.5 would work fine even with a tall person using it.

However if you are currently practicing Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, and if your sensei says your sword is good enough to use, then why switch? Even if your sword isn't good enough, changing swords would seem a better road to follow than changing schools...unless you are unhappy at your current school for some other reason.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---