Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Peter Moore Sensei in Magazine

Kimpatsu Guest

Default Peter Moore Sensei in Magazine

Gassho.
    For those of you who know him, Peter Moore, Southampton branch master in the south of England, is this month's featured instructor in this month (November)'s issue of Shorinji Kempo monthly magazine.
    The image posted here is the actual magazine size (A4), to avoid loss of clarity.
    Kesshu.

Likes (received)

Gassho,

Would it be possible for a quick translation of that article to be provided for those of us that do not speak or read Japanese?! Not word for word necessarily, just a quick summary of what it is about. I assume from the map that it is about Sensei Peters two branches in Poole and in Southampton Oaklands, but it would be interesting to know the actual drift of the article. Cheers in advance!

Kesshu,
    Robert Dawson

Southampton University Shorinji Kempo Club
    http://www.soton.ac.uk/~shkempo/

Kimpatsu Guest

Originally posted by Robdawson_
    Gassho,

Would it be possible for a quick translation of that article to be provided for those of us that do not speak or read Japanese?! Not word for word necessarily, just a quick summary of what it is about. I assume from the map that it is about Sensei Peters two branches in Poole and in Southampton Oaklands, but it would be interesting to know the actual drift of the article. Cheers in advance!

Kesshu,
    Gassho.
    Rob, I fully intedned to type out a translation, but time got away from me, and I had to go out.
    I'll type one up within 24 hours. Stay tuned.
    Kesshu.

Kimpatsu Guest

Default Peter Sensei's Interview

Gassho.
    Here is a translation of the interview with Peter Moore Sensei.
    The People of WSKO
    Britain: Southampton Branch/Pool Branch
    Brach Master Peter Moore
    (1) Age: 60
    (2) Sex: Male
    (3) Occupation: Engineer
    (4) Shorinji Kempo History: I started to learn Shorinji Kempo in June 1974 under Yoshida Sensei at Bournemouth YMCA, and was taught by him for five years, until he returned to Japan. The branch was then continued by Russell Jenkins, my frequent (embu/grading) partner and good friend of mine. Yoshida Sensei had also told me to help in the running of the branch. In 1983, three Kenshi entered Southampton Technical College. Whereupon, I thought this was a good chance to open my own branch, and obtained permission from Mizuno Tameo Sensei, the head of the British Federation, so I started Southampton Branch.
    (5) Rank: 5th Dan
    (6) Training Frequency: Two times a week each at both Southampton and Poole Branches (two hours each time).
    (7) Reasons for Starting Shorinji Kempo: I had already trained in other kinds of Budo. Then, one day, I heard that there was a Japanese instructor using body armour and boxing gloves at the Bournemouth YMCA, so I went along to take a look, with the air of a challenge. This was my first meeting with Yoshida Sensei, and I was greatly impressed. When I told him that I also wanted to train, he agreed to let me. Training was very hard and great fun. I was always impatient for the next training session. After one month of training, I felt that I had found what I was looking for. Through the philosophy, I soon understood that fighting is NOT the essence of Budo.
    (8) The Attraction of Shorinji Kempo: I started to understand that no matter how many times you practice punching, kicking, and blocking, becoming aware of the background to the techniques for the first time… that forms a motive for learning.
    (9) Difficulties in Learning Shorinji Kempo: Overcoming techniques I can’t do well, and techniques I don’t like doing.
    (10) Dreams (for the Future): My dream is to establish a curriculum for learning Shorinji Kempo in schools. That way, I believe, the increase in suicides by the weak and the bullied can be curtailed.
    (11) A Word to Japanese Kenshi: I’m proud of the numerous British discoveries that help maintain people around the world. What I ask of all Japanese Shorinji Kenshi is to remain true to the essence of Shorinji Kempo, and make sure Shorinji Kempo never falls into being merely a sport. Shorinji Kempo is Budo, and we are obliged to maintain it as such in the future.
    (Interview: Sadayasu Kuramoto)
    Note also in the attachment that there is a map of the British Isles, in which the Emerald Isle, including Northern Ireland, is lablled "Ireland", and England, Scotland, and Wales are all lumped together as "England".
    Southampton and Poole are labelled in red with arrows.
    Kesshu.

Likes (received)

Or click here

David Dunn
    Cambridge Dojo
    BSKF

Kimpatsu Guest

Interesting that the WSKO post includes more information than was published in the Japanese-language magazine. It also makes more sense of the final question which, as is clear from the WSKO site, was actually two questions, whereas the magazine only printed the second question, making Pete Sensei's initial response appear to be off-topic.