Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Koryu sword work in N. Atlanta...

Likes (received)

Default Koryu sword work in N. Atlanta...

I am looking for a koryu sword school in N. Atlanta. I spoke to some guys affiliated with Karl Friday at UGA, but that was only for people who are UGA students and they were unable to recomend anyone for me.

Could anyone help please?
    Lance Boggs

"The man who can most truly be accounted brave is he who best knows the meaning of what is sweet in life and what is terrible, and then goes out undeterred to meet what is to come."

Pericles

Likes (received)

Paul Couch teaches Shinkendo in the Atlanta area. Checking Obata Sensei's website should point you in the right direction.

Mark Barlow

Likes (received)

Default Shinkendo...

I'm familiar with the style but was under the impression it was not a koryu. I'm really looking for "old killing people sword work" if that makes any sense vs. a more modern, peace time form.
    Lance Boggs

"The man who can most truly be accounted brave is he who best knows the meaning of what is sweet in life and what is terrible, and then goes out undeterred to meet what is to come."

Pericles

Likes (received)

Default Re: Shinkendo...

Originally posted by Sillal
    I'm familiar with the style but was under the impression it was not a koryu. I'm really looking for "old killing people sword work" if that makes any sense vs. a more modern, peace time form.
    Shinkendo is a modern "peacetime" art, based on "modern" (post 1868?) wartime arts (Toyama Ryu, etc.), that were based on "old killing people sword work" (a simplified history).

Koryu of the legitiate kind are few and far between outside Japan, and you would be better off studying Shinkendo than "X-ryu" under someone who learned their art from watching "The Last Samurai."

Your question is a good one, but if I recall we searched not long ago for another member and didn't find much in the Atlanta area. Obata sensei is a respected swordsman, and although I haven't trained in the art, I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong studying at a branch dojo of his.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

5. Likes fadriano liked this post
    Likes (received)

try this site but as was said earler for a koryu sword art it will be difficult.

www.atlantamartialarts.com
    Ron Davis
    Motobu ha Shito ryu Karate-do

Karate is not a sport, it is a way of life!

Gene Williams Guest

I believe there is a koryu group in Athens at the University. Listen, any legitimate ryu can teach you how to hold the sword and cut, as well as basic strategy. If you know that, the rest is spirit and the individual. If you know how to cut, you can kill people. The willingness to do it is another matter altogether. Are you expecting trouble from swordsmen? I would personally prefer a pistol, perhaps a 1911A .45 cal (my favorite) or something like a Glock 40 for the more modern oriented tastes. Of course, my Colt DS II with plus p's is just fine for a carry weapon and the old wheel guns just keep on shooting. Gene (hope you are well)

Bill Gallant Guest

Oh, please don't let this get into a koryu vs everything else discussion, I'm really tired of hearing all the crap. Find a place, and practice, if you don't like it..leave and find another. There is great JSA out there that is not koryu.

Likes (received)

Default Sword...

I believe there is a koryu group in Athens at the University. Listen, any legitimate ryu can teach you how to hold the sword and cut, as well as basic strategy. If you know that, the rest is spirit and the individual. If you know how to cut, you can kill people. The willingness to do it is another matter altogether. Are you expecting trouble from swordsmen? I would personally prefer a pistol, perhaps a 1911A .45 cal (my favorite) or something like a Glock 40 for the more modern oriented tastes. Of course, my Colt DS II with plus p's is just fine for a carry weapon and the old wheel guns just keep on shooting. Gene (hope you are well)
    I spoke to them, they unfortunatly can only take UGA students as they work out at a University facility.

I am not interested in learning how to use the sword for modern self defense, I have my Mos, and Glock for that, but am more interested in the more ancient mind set and approach (from my research) than many of the newer or peace time systems.

I have checked out Shinkendo and it was not really for me, though I'm not saying its not good, just not what I'm looking for.
    Lance Boggs

Pericles

Likes (received)

That's a real shame that you can't practice on Campus - don't they make exceptions?
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

actually, no, they won't. I tried myself. My father was the Assistant VP of student affairs at UGA and I had to sneak into the gym, but was only able to a couple of times. The old man couldn't pull any strings...
    Matt Rose

A Brakebill Guest

Default a few possibilities...

Several of the Aikido schools in the area have iaido as well.

Newnan Budokan has Toyama Ryu which is from what I gathered a newer ryu but still it's something.

Atlanta Center for the Zen This is an iaido study group. I don't know anything about it other than it seems to be an opportunity to be exposed to several ryu.

Good luck with the search and let us know if you find anything. I'm particularly interested since after I return from Japan I'll probably end up in my hometown of Atlanta again.

Likes (received)

Dear Sillal et al,

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but there is a zen center in Georgia (Atlanta I think, I'm not familiar with your state sorry). They study Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu there. They are part of the Omori Sogen Roshi lineage. I do not know how much of the ryu they study but I know they at least practice the hojo a very intense set of kata. From my understanding you can spend a lifetime doing hojo and still not master it. Jikishinkage-ryu and Kashima Shin-ryu were the same school until the 1700's when a split occurred (see Dr. Friday's book Legacies of the Sword for more details). This might be the closest you'll get to a Kashima style.

here is a link: http://www.zen-georgia.org/
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Kendoguy9
    Dear Sillal et al,

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but there is a zen center in Georgia (Atlanta I think, I'm not familiar with your state sorry). They study Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu there. They are part of the Omori Sogen Roshi lineage. I do not know how much of the ryu they study but I know they at least practice the hojo a very intense set of kata. From my understanding you can spend a lifetime doing hojo and still not master it. Jikishinkage-ryu and Kashima Shin-ryu were the same school until the 1700's when a split occurred (see Dr. Friday's book Legacies of the Sword for more details). This might be the closest you'll get to a Kashima style.

here is a link: http://www.zen-georgia.org/
    All it says is the following, in regard to JSA. They say the art is called Hojo. So, I don't see how it is the art you said it was. It sounds a bit odd to me. No lineage is posted on the site and non of the teachers are listed as JSA instructors. So... Am confused! JSA as an "internal art?" Never heard of a Koryu called that, if this is supposed to be a Koryu. A cross between Tai Chi and Kendo? What? Anybody know anything else?

From the website:

Hojo

Hojo is a very old Japanese sword art. It is an internal art, similar in certain aspects to Tai Chi. It concentrates on centered movement, balance, proper breathing, and meditative awareness. It is performed as a set of two person katas. Some students have commented that it's like a cross between Tai Chi and Kendo. Cost - $50/month, $40/month for active Zen students.
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Default Re: Ok...

I was simply seeking information on a school of sword work, one would imagine this would be the place to look for it. I have instead stumbled into a pre-school where I am mocked for studying a group of martial arts some of the mainstream is not very fond of.

I would never treat any of you with the type of disrespect some of you have showed here. I don't find it funny and am ashamed it has a place on E-budo.
    Hey there,

Don't worry. Sometimes, these guys just can't help themselves, me included, once in a while. It is kinda hard to live without a bit of fun! They aren't laughing at you to be mean. That, I can assure you of.

Well, go look at your profile. I confess I got curious, and nearly choked laughing at your occupation description. It fits with your being a Ninja guy! With a combination like that, you're gonna get poked at in fun at least once or twice.

Anyhow, there is Kendo readily available, and I think you should go watch a practice before you pass judgement on it.(Just am beating you to it before you say you don't want to do that because it's not Koryu! ) And PLEEEEASE don't call it a sport. It is SO much more than just hitting each other with a stick! It's a JSA and quite respectable, thank you very much! I'd give a lot to learn a Koryu, but I can't. So, I did the next best thing and did Kendo. You can too!

Here are the Kendo dojos that are in Atlanta:

Georgia Kendo Alliance

http://www.georgiakendo.com/

Athletic Club Northeast(Aerobics Room)
    1515 Sheridan Road N.E.
    Atlanta, GA 30324
    Practice times:
    Thusdays 7:30-9:00pm Regular Class
    Saturdays 5:00-6:00pm Beginners Only Class
    Saturdays 6:15-7:45pm Regular Class
    Instructor: Kunitoshi Arai
    Contact: Contact: Fisher Londono (678) 376-3828 (Weekdays after 7PM)
    e-mail: Information@GeorgiaKendo.com

---------------------------------

Georgia Japanese Language School Kendo Club
    Lindley Middle School
    Atlanta, GA
    Sat 3pm-5pm
    lifeofga@mindspring.com

---------------------------------

So, please just go watch a practice before you come back and say "I don't want that." ok? BTW, you REALLY need to go watch a Shinkendo practice too, if you haven't yet.

It is far better to make an educated decision based on having seen these arts than one based on guess-work as to what the art is about and looks like.

Be sure to call the sensei to ask permission to watch a practice first. This is standard and good etiquette. And, you really should visit both Kendo dojos because each sensei will be different as to how he/she runs practice. And, the dojos will be different from each other too. Having a choice means you get to choose which dojo fits you best. That is good!

Do you need the Shinkendo information?

You can find the dojos listed in your area here:

http://www.shinkendo.com/dojomap.html

http://www.shinkendo.com/main.html

Just scroll down until you find your state in the first link. The second link is information on the Ryu.

As to Toyama Ryu... There are no Federation sanctioned dojos in Atlanta, GA according to the Toyama Ryu website here and the site above:

http://www.toyama-ryu.com/

There is Toyama Ryu if you look at the Georgia dojos outside of Atlanta, in the Shinkendo website. (I looked.)

Well, I hope this helps!
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

FWIW

I have studied Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, some Shinto Muso Ryu and been exposed to a little Shinkendo. The reason this is possible is because I studied Kendo. It was through Kendo I met most of my JSA contacts. If someone wants to find a Koryu teacher they can often do it by meeting Kendo people. Can be a good way to establish contacts. From my experience, the good teachers are often NOT ON THE INTERNET.
    Ed Boyd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast